Search similar:

uniqs
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

[Electrical] Light bulb keeps burning out in hallway.

Incandescent light bulb keeps burning out in my apartment hallway right after it is turned on. Works for a couple weeks and then burns out.

Lighting fixture looks like this:

»www.homedepot.com/p/Hamp ··· ?N=c7p5#

It is for 3x60W light bulbs but I only put in one.

No other fixtures in my apartment have light bulbs burn out that often.

Do you think this is a problem with a fixture or light switch? Would CCFL bulb with compatible mount be less susceptible to burn out?

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

My first suspicion would be that vibration from the apartment upstairs is the cause. Perhaps you want to try rough-service bulbs.

After all, there's probably a hallway directly above your hallway.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
Put a edison base to 2 prong converter in, measure voltage with meter. Make sure its 120v and not a multiwire circuit with open neutral with 2 devices wired in series on 208/240v.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007 to John97

Premium Member

to John97
said by John97:

My first suspicion would be that vibration from the apartment upstairs is the cause. Perhaps you want to try rough-service bulbs.

After all, there's probably a hallway directly above your hallway.

1) I am on the top floor. There is no apartment above.

2) Even if there was apartment above - the light bulb only burns out immediately after it was turned on (but only after it was in service for a while, not all the time). Can't see how vibration could be relevant. It seems like sometimes there is an electricity spike, but I have no idea where it can come from.
JoeSchmoe007

JoeSchmoe007 to patcat88

Premium Member

to patcat88
said by patcat88:

Put a edison base to 2 prong converter in, measure voltage with meter. Make sure its 120v and not a multiwire circuit with open neutral with 2 devices wired in series on 208/240v.

I don't have an edison base to 2 prong converter (whatever it is ) . But if it was wired for 208/240V - wouldn't light bulb burn out immediately all the time?

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

he means this

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

edison base to 2 prong converter (whatever it is )

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to JoeSchmoe007

MVM

to JoeSchmoe007
Almost all (normal) light bulbs burn out the second they are turned on, not while they are on. Explanation here: »www.techlinea.com/wp/?p=397

Probably just crap bulbs. Since the light bulb (as we know it) has been banned, you should probably just go to Lowe's Depot Menard's and get one of those 60W equivalent LED bulbs. They are less than $10 now. Save the warranty.

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

1 recommendation

j1349705 to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

Do you think this is a problem with a fixture or light switch? Would CCFL bulb with compatible mount be less susceptible to burn out?

I would not recommend a CFL (or even an LED) with an enclosed fixture like the one you posted. These bulbs have electronic components that will overheat in this kind of fixture, leading to short service life.

Rough service incandescents, which have not been banned, are your best bet for this kind of fixture.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns

Premium Member

My hallways have enclosed lights; those 6" globes.

I have no problem with 13w CFL's; they barely get warm and last 6-7 years there. I have another enlcosed in my laundy room that takes two bulbs and I cant even remember when i last replaced one of the CFL's.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

2 recommendations

nunya to JoeSchmoe007

MVM

to JoeSchmoe007
I hate CFLs as much as the next guy, but I think you are getting a lot of FOD in this thread. CFLs produce much less heat than standard bulbs. LEDs make even less than CFLs.
Most CFLs are cheap crap and quite often do not last any longer than a standard incandescent bulb. I think that's where some of the FOD may be emanating from.
Unless the lamp (bulb) packaging says not to use it in an enclosed fixture, you should be fine.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
If you use these same make and model of bulbs successfully elsewhere, I would think you have an underlying wiring or fixture problem. Changing the type of bulb will not fix the real issue. I would use the suggested Edison to two prong converter for a test, or call in an electrician to test the wiring.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to j1349705

MVM

to j1349705
said by j1349705:

I would not recommend a CFL (or even an LED) with an enclosed fixture like the one you posted.

Simply select CFLs (or LEDs) that are rated for use in enclosed fixtures.

Eyeballs
Premium Member
join:2000-04-25
Worcester, MA

Eyeballs to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
Was having the same problem at a 3 family property. A sheltered Unheated hallway Light bulb was burning out every month. Even in the summer. Switched to a CFL and it's been in there for a few years now, no issue.

The only thing I hate is how long it takes to warm up.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to j1349705

Premium Member

to j1349705
said by j1349705:

I would not recommend a CFL (or even an LED) with an enclosed fixture like the one you posted. These bulbs have electronic components that will overheat in this kind of fixture, leading to short service life.

We have 7 fixtures like this thoughout our home. We built it in 2010 and installed off the shelf CFLs in them on day one. It's only been about 4 years. That's not a lot of time, I know, but so far so good. The few incadescents we had have been getting replaced with LED as they burn out. As of now the only incadescents in the entire home are in the decorative fixtures above the mirrors in the bathrooms.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

said by Lurch77:

We have 7 fixtures like this thoughout our home ... installed off the shelf CFLs ... so far so good.

Ditto! I've been running CFLs in a very similar Home Depot fixture for many years with no unusual burnouts or overheating. Bulbs last a few years. Much better than getting up on the ladder every few months for incandescents.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Eyeballs

Premium Member

to Eyeballs
said by Eyeballs:

Switched to a CFL and it's been in there for a few years now, no issue.

The only thing I hate is how long it takes to warm up

This problem is easily avoided by using LED bulbs instead of CFL. That's one of the biggest advantages of LED bulbs.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

I installed LED bulbs in my outside fixtures. Love them. Instant on, even with temps at -15F.

rzaruba
join:2000-08-04

rzaruba to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
Also don't forget to check your line voltage to make sure it is within spec.

About 30 years ago I used to burn out 6146B's like crazy, then I tested the line voltage and it was 135 volts. Electric company had to reset the buss.

A few weeks ago a friend was having horrible problems with his pellet stove. Line voltage check was 144 volts. After a transformer replacement, all is now well and the line voltage is within spec.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
The very first thing to check is voltage -- preferably several times during a day. If all readings are within spec, you probably got a bad batch of light bulbs.

To test the bad batch theory, replace them with different bulbs -- rough service, long life, halogen, CFL, LED, or 130V rated bulbs. (not sure if the latter is still available)
udit4
join:2013-11-21

udit4

I totally agree with you, it might be you probably got a bad batch of light bulbs. LEDs are almost 85% more efficient than these incandescent lights.