dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
glc650
join:2000-11-19

glc650

adding a 2nd AP - best way to configure?

Hi,

I recently purchased an Asus RT-AC66U in hopes of getting full (or at least close enough) coverage for a 2 story house but haven't had much luck and I've even tried different antennas (9 and 15dBi gains) and locations (upstairs vs. downstairs & 2 different locations on each floor). Seem to have too many dead spots/low signal spots in key locations no matter where I place it.

So I'm thinking of buying another and using one AP per floor. Not sure how I should set this up though. Here's the scenarios I was thinking of:

1) Both configured in AP only mode with same SSID and security but on different channels (i.e. seamless roaming?)
2) WDS
3) WDS with the 2.4 radios and while using the 5.0 radios for clients on either floor (same as number 2 but without halving bandwidth?)

With number 1, wouldn't the client get disconnected while roaming from one floor to another (i.e. when associating with the AP at the new location)?

I think I understand how number 2 works. No need to change AP associations while roaming between floors, right? But bandwidth cut in half.

Not sure how roaming between the floors would work in scenario 3.

My clients are mostly smart phones (Nexus 5) that do WiFi calling while at home so I'm looking for the least disruptive scenario (i.e. don't want to drop a call b/c the client is roaming from one floor to another).

Thanks,

->g.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

IIRC, all options will 1/2 your bandwidth regardless. Take off another half for each client you put on,
so no way around that. It comes down to wireless being a 1/2 duplex medium, and radio to client, or
radio to radio, only one can talk at the same time.

For option 1, I don't have another AP to test with this... you MAY get interruption, but if with the same
SSID it's by and large transparent to the user.

If you have another spare wireless router, or could borrow one for a few hours from a friend, try out
option 1 and see what results you get.

My 00000010bits

Regards