share rss forum feed

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium
join:2002-05-31
AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

[Electrical] Do some backstabs not have a release?

Click for full size
I was swapping out a switch and I could not figure out how to "release" the backstabs. I ended up just cutting them off, and the proceeded to dismantle the switch trying to figure out if there was a way to release. As far as I can tell, nope.
--
This Space for Rent...

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
It clearly states: push terminals not for reuse.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
said by leibold:

Reuse, is one thing but you should still be able to remove the wires without damage for replacement. This obviously is the low end of low-end.

The real sad part is the screw terminals on this fixture on the type are you just stick in the wire and tighten instead of having to bend a hook. It would've taken very little time to do the job correctly.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by Msradell:

said by leibold:

Reuse, is one thing but you should still be able to remove the wires without damage for replacement.

Equipping the device with a means for release would inevitably lead to someone reusing the push terminals. It would also unnecessarily drive up manufacturing costs.

Cutting off the wires is the preferred method. Back stab connections force all the current through a very small cross section of the conductor and also introduce the possibility of nicks, leaving the exposed wire in questionable condition for reuse

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to nightdesigns
Don't reuse back-stabbed devices, use wire nuts with pigtails and screw terminals on a new device. The replaced device will then have a good connection that lasts, unlike the back-stabbed one that only gets worse with time.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to nightdesigns
What kind of device is this? Who manufactured it? It vaguely reminds me of Leviton Cheetah buts its not that. Its also not the NEC trailer-only, IDC romex vampire tap "self contained device" thing AKA Wirecon since it has backstabs.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pDeWjvy_MM

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to nightdesigns
It actually appears it is the Leviton Cheetah system. Here's the website for it: »www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionD···te=10251

I'm not familiar with the system nor have I ever seen it but I'm extremely skeptical of it. It appears the only factor they advertise is how fast it is. They make no claims about anything else about it and I'm quite sure it would be hard to find replacement pieces for the homeowner since I'm not aware of any of the big box stores carrying the system.

I also wonder if the time savings are at least partially offset by the cost of the pieces. Since only one manufacturer makes them and I'm guessing the usage is relatively low nationwide I'm sure the cost per piece is significantly higher than conventional components.

patcat88

Jamaica, NY
said by Msradell:

It actually appears it is the Leviton Cheetah system. Here's the website for it: »www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionD···te=10251

Its not a Cheetah. Someone elses pics off the internet of another strange device , »www.contractortalk.com/f5/what-i···d-32851/

Another example »www.electrical-contractor.net/fo···cle.html

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Wow, sure makes me think twice about Leviton -- I always pick receptacles up a notch or two from the 69¢ junk, but I didn't know Leviton made backstab-only devices. Too bad.

patcat88

Jamaica, NY
reply to patcat88
said by patcat88:

. Someone elses pics off the internet of another strange device , »www.contractortalk.com/f5/what-i···d-32851/

OMG, the beast has a name, Leviton 5248, and its lurking in a supply house near you »www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductD···te=10251 .

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Standards and Certifications: UL/CSA