uniqs

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to Grimm

Premium Member

to Grimm

Re: Everything the XBOX One doesnt do - and there is a lot.

Not necessarily. The hard drive performance can be an issue depending on what is currently installed on it and how much is being used. A bunch of games/apps/media files scattered across the drive might have a major impact on how long it takes for game data to be installed from the optical drive.

chadrob30
Howdy
Premium Member
join:2002-04-24
Fort Smith, AR

chadrob30 to Cat5

Premium Member

to Cat5
Actually no. I've had many smartphones since the iPhone landed in '07. I rarely use my HTC One as a phone in fact, lol.

SixSpeed
join:2001-12-24
USA

SixSpeed to chadrob30

to chadrob30
said by chadrob30:

I bought this Xbox One gaming console as a .....'gasp'.... gaming console. It plays games just fine.

Well then, you sound like the kind of customer MS really needs for this console, one with VERY low expectations.

chadrob30
Howdy
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

chadrob30

Premium Member

I guess you have to vent to someone. You didn't do your research, and now you feel like you got robbed. Eventually a lot of your issues should be improved with firmware updates. Not all of the things you said the 360 could do were available at launch, or even a year later.

stet
Volitar Prime
join:2002-03-08
Utica, MI

1 recommendation

stet

No, most of these things did work with the 360 at launch.

At launch the 360 was able to:
Tell you if the controller's batteries were getting low
Notify you if a friend was online
Easily find content on the marketplace (once it was setup)
Easily manage what content was installed
DLNA streaming for movies and music (including music while playing games)
Easily navigate the menu/dashboard without the need for clumsy voice commands or a built in search engine

SixSpeed
USA

1 recommendation

SixSpeed to chadrob30

to chadrob30
said by chadrob30:

I guess you have to vent to someone. You didn't do your research, and now you feel like you got robbed. Eventually a lot of your issues should be improved with firmware updates. Not all of the things you said the 360 could do were available at launch, or even a year later.

Once again, you really think its acceptable that a console that is billed as the "one stop entertainment hub for your living room" cant do the basic things the 8 year old console its supposed to replace did right from the start? MS pushed this as the single one system to handle all your multimedia wants and needs.

You are MS's wet dream.

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium Member
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY

Silvanos

Premium Member

The Xbox One does everything they said it would do, you failed to research your purchase and now you are butt hurt.... We get it.

Edit: WTH problems are you having navigating the menu system... My 4 year old knows how to get to everything.

TSI James
TSI James
Premium Member
join:2008-02-22

2 edits

TSI James

Premium Member

said by Silvanos:

The Xbox One does everything they said it would do, you failed to research your purchase and now you are butt hurt.... We get it.

Edit: WTH problems are you having navigating the menu system... My 4 year old knows how to get to everything.

How many games do they have in Native 1080p again? We all know that Xbox One doesn't do all that was promised, at least not yet.

EDIT: »www.vg247.com/2013/12/18 ··· rnament/

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· zDRdHxIw

What did they say about DRM again?

Midniteoyl
join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN

Midniteoyl

Wasnt that the blu-ray bug?

Jehu
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
MA

Jehu to TSI James

Premium Member

to TSI James
said by TSI James:

How many games do they have in Native 1080p again? We all know that Xbox One doesn't do all that was promised, at least not yet

did they say about DRM again?

I give up, how many and what

Silvanos
Premium Member
Tonawanda, NY

Silvanos

Premium Member

The suspense is killing me.

SRFireside
join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX

SRFireside to SixSpeed

to SixSpeed
To be fair the Playstation 4 has also lost a lot of the functionality that was included, and still functional, on the PS3. That's why I'm waiting until new announcements are made (if any) on the media capabilities from any upcoming firmware updates.

Dejavu
Game Misconduct
Mod
join:2002-09-11
Ishpeming, MI

Dejavu

Mod

Im glad my Commodore 64 still works.

Midniteoyl
Knox, IN

Midniteoyl

said by Dejavu:

Im glad my Commodore 64 still works.

HAhaha.. was just thinking that when I saw Wing Commander on the TV the other day

chadrob30
Howdy
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

1 recommendation

chadrob30 to SixSpeed

Premium Member

to SixSpeed
LOL@ this thread.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan to SixSpeed

Premium Member

to SixSpeed
I bought the X1 a couple days ago from a guy moving to the Middle East and he cant use it there (different TV Standard).

$500 total and included two games (NBA2K14 and Ryse -- Since traded NBA to another guy for Battlefield)

I am liking it.. but yes there are some software kinks that need to be ironed out (the same can be said for the initial release of the 360). I am sure they will be fixed.

I found the Upload Studios to be a neat feature, especially for Video Blogers

Installing from a disc takes some time (20-30 minutes per game to finish) but you can start playing the games when they are around 50% installed

Installing a digital game can take a very long time. I bought COD:Ghosts and Forza digital from the store and it took hours to install. HOWEVER I like the fact that I dont have to switch discs out to play them, and I dont have to pre-order and wait in line on launch nights for new releases (usually only happens with me for the COD franchise)

Graphics in Forza and Ryse are spectacular. COD and BF are great too but you can tell they are not exclusives to next gen consoles

Midniteoyl
Knox, IN

Midniteoyl

Ya.. no disc digital downloads are where its at. My BF3 disc became unplayable, despite that I loaded it on the HD the first day, 2 weeks before BF4 came out (DRM is a bitch).

The_ANoN
@charter.com

The_ANoN

Anon

I played the Xbox One at my dads house and I did not like it..the dashboard interface was just horrible..kinect could barely recognize my voice even after calibration. The controller didnt feel too bad. Also, I still cant get over the fact that they pretty much put all of their apps (netflix, hulu, IE etc) behind a paywall in order for you to use them. Then they tout the XBL gold membership as valuable because you get to use those apps (which are free to access on any other device). Just like the OP, I loved the 360 but even it didnt have as much value out of the box as the PS3 (functionality-wise). And for those reasons (and price difference) I went with PS4 first this gen. The PS4 does lack some features too, but its $100 cheaper.. Eventually I may pick up a One, but right now its a no-go.

SixSpeed
USA

SixSpeed

Tried to play a brand new DVD today. Made it half way through the movie and the console froze up solid, had to power it down to clear it. Piece of sh*t.

Silvanos
Premium Member
Tonawanda, NY

Silvanos

Premium Member

I watched an old DVD today and the Xbox one played it like new.

chadrob30
Howdy
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

chadrob30 to SixSpeed

Premium Member

to SixSpeed
We got it. You don't like the One. Take it back. You don't know how to operate it anyway.
said by SixSpeed:

Tried to play a brand new DVD today. Made it half way through the movie and the console froze up solid, had to power it down to clear it. Piece of sh*t.

monchis
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09

monchis to SixSpeed

Premium Member

to SixSpeed
said by SixSpeed:

My ps4 does that quite a lot.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to SixSpeed

Premium Member

to SixSpeed
I'm mostly a PC gamer these days, but always planned on getting both consoles for their exclusives and was going to get a PS4 first. I bought an XBone on Friday on a whim, mostly because I got a bit of unexpected cash and couldn't find a local PS4.

The OP has some good points. The One doesn't do everything the 360 did, but most of those don't matter to me as I didn't really use any of those features on the 360. I do find myself using the Kinect voice and hand controls to get around the menus, which I never did on the 360 and surprised me. It works very well on the One and saying 'XBox go to Settings' is faster than digging through the menus with a controller, which I find counter-intuitive and a pain. The Kinect only recognizes my voice about a third of the time in game, though, which is frustrating and makes you feel stupid for sitting in room yelling at your tv for no reason.

The real reason to get any gaming console is the games. I got a Dead Rising 3 bundle, despite not being a huge fan of the past DR games, and I really enjoy this one. They took away all of the annoying features like work benches and difficult saves and added hundreds of zombies (that are really good at acting zombie-like, attracted to light and noise) at a time. It's a blast. I tried Killer Instinct but haven't made it far yet. I also bought Need for Speed: Rivals, which isn't exclusive but is pretty addictive and a lot of fun.

I like the game DVR paired with the Upload app as well. I recorded a lot of zombie kills with 'Xbox Record That', which seems to work more often than the other voice commands in game.

Some of the OP's missing features will be added, the fact that they aren't there yet is the price of early adoption. Others will not, which is a shame. Personally I'm still looking forward to getting the PS4, but after a weekend of play I had a lot of fun with the Xbone and I am not sorry I bought it.
Expand your moderator at work