uniqs

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt

Re: [Content] So does Comcast ever add channels?

said by SeattleMatt:

Love-
Personally I have no idea.

However I'm still keeping my potential theory alive:

- They're going to announce that via the X1/X2 platform - all new HD will be delivered via IP. They'll then slowly migrate more channels over to IP as needed to reclaim more QAM's for HSI.
:
Yes, this would "screw" existing customers with older boxes - but will be an incentive for them to upgrade to the new platform.

Yes, that jives with my "saving/clearing spectrum space for D3.1" theory »Re: [Content] So does Comcast ever add channels? , and I like your X1/X2 platform angle.

Makes me wonder if future X2 (or "X3"?) platform devices will be spec'ed to be DOCSIS 3.1 compliant?

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

Makes me wonder if future X2 (or "X3"?) platform devices will be spec'ed to be DOCSIS 3.1 compliant?

IP-based TV is really just a higher-granularity version of SDV that Comcast seems to have passed up on.

Maybe that's why Comcast did pass on SDV, they wanted to leap-frog it and go all the way to IP-based TV.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

1 edit

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

G4 HD is officially gone as of this morning.

YAY! More open QAM space...

Sigh....the Brighthouse Tampa lineup...I drool after reading this...

»applications.brighthouse ··· ult.aspx
LoveHD
join:2011-07-31
Detroit, MI

LoveHD

said by SeattleMatt:

G4 HD is officially gone as of this morning.

YAY! More open QAM space...

Sigh....the Brighthouse Tampa lineup...I drool after reading this...

»applications.brighthouse ··· ult.aspx

I took a look at that lineup from Bright House. In addition to Tampa, Florida I also looked at the list from the Detroit, Michigan systems.

The company has HD that makes it ahead of everyone. Michigan has Great American Country HD. That's not a channel available anywhere else, right? GAC must have recently gone high def.

I'm seeing fuller lists of Encore in HD. I was seeing those in the Tampa lineup. The secondary channels in HD. Those must be new to high definition.

Why is it Bright House can do this but not Comcast?

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

GAC went HD in early November.

Bright House is the HD leader over all cable and sattelite providers.

Are they privately owned company? If so maybe that's why. No one to answer to but themselves. There's pros and cons going public, but in this situation, appeasing to shareholders does nothing but slow this industry down.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by cypherstream:

Bright House is the HD leader over all cable and satellite providers.

Are they privately owned company? If so maybe that's why. No one to answer to but themselves. There's pros and cons going public, but in this situation, appeasing to shareholders does nothing but slow this industry down.

They're owned by Advance/Newhouse Communications, a privately-owned company: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br ··· Networks

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to LoveHD

Premium Member

to LoveHD
said by LoveHD:

BHN and Time Warner invested in SDV. All of these new HD channels get immediately added to the SDV pool. It's as simple as that. There's no need to worry about bandwidth, open QAM's, nada.

They had great foresight.
LoveHD
join:2011-07-31
Detroit, MI

LoveHD

said by SeattleMatt:

said by LoveHD:

BHN and Time Warner invested in SDV. All of these new HD channels get immediately added to the SDV pool. It's as simple as that. There's no need to worry about bandwidth, open QAM's, nada.

They had great foresight.

Yet, Comcast couldn't even get its cutting edge x-whatever receiver platform rolled out to existing and new customers efficiently, correct?

Hell of a thing!

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

said by SeattleMatt:

Love-
Personally I have no idea.

- They're going to announce that via the X1/X2 platform - all new HD will be delivered via IP. They'll then slowly migrate more channels over to IP as needed to reclaim more QAM's for HSI.
:
Yes, this would "screw" existing customers with older boxes - but will be an incentive for them to upgrade to the new platform.

Yes, that jives with my "saving/clearing spectrum space for D3.1" theory »Re: [Content] So does Comcast ever add channels? , and I like your X1/X2 platform angle.

SeattleMatt See Profile - I guess this supports your theory of Comcast trying to go "all IP" on us:

Comcast Expands ‘Xfinity On Campus’ Trial
Drexel University Next To Test MSO’s Multiscreen IP Video Service Tailored To College Students

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - January 9, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· l/147574
quote:
Comcast’s campus service project represents another step in the MSO’s broader IP video transition, which is partly based on VIPER (»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· 9/146174), the MSO’s home grown cloud-based, IP video infrastructure for set-tops and mobile devices. For its regular residential video service, Comcast’s Xfinity TV Go app currently provides access to VOD and 37 channels of live TV on mobile devices, and a smaller set of channels on browsers.
EDIT: FYI - You can read more about Comcast's VIPER (Video IP Engineering Research) Project here:

Comcast chief software architect explains VIPER project
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - October 8, 2013
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 13-10-08
telcodad

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

said by SeattleMatt:

:

:

Well, SeattleMatt See Profile, it looks like we were both wrong! Today it became obvious to me what Comcast was doing saving all those HD channel slots - for the launch of the AccuWeather Channel group later this year: »msg deleted

With the soon-to-be launch of the main "AccuWeather Channel," followed quickly by the launches of the associated "AccuWeatherScan" local-forecast-all-the-time channel and the "AccuWeather Reality Series" channel (with even more to come), they just had to hold all those HD QAMs open!

Wait ... What? ... Something about TWC being owned by the "NBCUniversal News Group," and NBC-U being owned by Comcast now? ... Something about the probability of the AccuWeather Channel being on the Comcast lineup about the same as a forecast of "Snow in Hell"?

Oh ... Nevermind!
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

SeattleMatt See Profile - I guess this supports your theory of Comcast trying to go "all IP" on us:

Comcast Expands ‘Xfinity On Campus’ Trial
Drexel University Next To Test MSO’s Multiscreen IP Video Service Tailored To College Students

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - January 9, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· l/147574

quote:
Comcast’s campus service project represents another step in the MSO’s broader IP video transition, which is partly based on VIPER (»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· 9/146174), the MSO’s home grown cloud-based, IP video infrastructure for set-tops and mobile devices. For its regular residential video service, Comcast’s Xfinity TV Go app currently provides access to VOD and 37 channels of live TV on mobile devices, and a smaller set of channels on browsers.

On the MCN site this morning:

Comcast Releases App For Campus-Based IP Video Service
First ‘Xfinity on Campus’ App Targets iOS Devices

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - January 14, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· e/147674
quote:
Comcast has quietly released an app for Apple iOS devices that supports “Xfinity On Campus,” a new IP video service tailored for universities.

Comcast released the 1.0.0 version of the app on Monday, Jan. 13. The MSO has not yet released a version for Android.

The new app will expand the number of devices that can run Xfinity On Campus, an authenticated service that delivers live TV and on-demand via a school’s managed broadband network. Previously access to the Xfinity On Campus service was limited to PC Web browsers.

Asom
@everestkc.net

Asom

Anon

TiVo shoes El Rey Network 176 Comcast Olathe.