how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

creegah

join:2008-10-09
Murphy, NC

Phantom activity

I have a 7000S. On the performance monitor it shows that there is download and upload activity 24/7 whether our computers are on or off, whether we are home or not. Is this normal?

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas

You said "computers" (plural) which means you have a router; is it a wireless router? Do you have any wireless devices such as smartphones or tablets?

If your stuff is not using the bandwidth, the only other possibility is maybe a neighbor or hacker stealing from you. But there is no reason Hughes would need-or-want to UL or DL from your location on its own.
--
Gen4 Power Plan Jupiter HT1100 v3.0.0.30 Signal Strength Typical 125+

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
reply to creegah

Click for full size
It is not unusual to have "network chatter" between the modem and the Hughes NOC.
I'm on a Gen4 now but my "idle time usage" was similar when I had my 7000.

What is the Hughes Hourly History page showing ?

creegah

Murphy, NC
reply to laserfan

a Linksys wireless router, 4 computers plus a few tablets. Another thing I should have mentioned is the usage is always 60 minutes for each hour. The DL and UL vary between 10 and 30 mb. The router is encripted and the closest neighbor is 1/2 mile,

laserfan

Texas
reply to creegah

I have a Cradlepoint router and it does continuously poll a HN gateway address, looking for a failure in which case it auto-switches to another ISP. Dunno about Linksys but as gwalk says "chatter" is possible.

Our iPhones and iPads communicate with the Internet even when they are switched-off. Dunno what "tablets" you have but unless you have powered them hard-OFF that's another possibility.
--
Gen4 Power Plan Jupiter HT1100 v3.0.0.30 Signal Strength Typical 125+

creegah

Murphy, NC
reply to gwalk

Click for full size
v
said by gwalk:

It is not unusual to have "network chatter" between the modem and the Hughes NOC.
I'm on a Gen4 now but my "idle time usage" was similar when I had my 7000.

What is the Hughes Hourly History page showing ?

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.
reply to creegah

It does appear to be around the clock.

So the question is:
Is is on the Hughes end ?
OR
Is it on your end ?

For several hrs (24?) disconnect your router and directly connect a single hardwired computer to the Modem.
Start a written log of the time that single computer is powered on.
When not in use totally power down that computer, not hibernate ..hard off.

Compare your usage with the History Usage page.
If the usage stops, the issue is on your end. You also have to compare if, during the computers "ON" time if its usage is reasonable for that days activity.

If so, reconnect the router but temporarily disable its radio, add one at a time any other wired computers and log their activity hrs, vs the History Usage page.

When all hardwired devices have been "Qualified" as OK, reenable the routers radio but do a "hard off" power down of all wireless devices.

I had my Nook HD+ in a "soft off" condition and it woke up and sucked up a 106 Mb update.

Also anything "Apple", there are some HUGE updates rolling out for anything Apple.

Also do a "hard off" for any cell phone. Some if they "see" a wifi connection, they will use that.

With all wireless device off, check for usage. If it is continuing you either, missed a device or someone is "piggy backing" your routers wireless connection.

Open the routers internal pages and look for "connected devices"
do recognize them all ?

finally, if all is well there, start adding, one by one, your wireless devices.

Divide and Conquer

LucasLee

join:2010-11-26
kudos:1
reply to creegah

you said you checked HughesNet's download history page, it provides the following explanation:

"Even when you are not using the HughesNet system, you may see very small amounts of usage. This is normal, and represents signals from the HughesNet system to the Network Operations Center indicating that it is operating properly. A typical transmit usage value when the HughesNet system is not being used could be 0.02 to 0.10 MB."

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan
reply to creegah

having a little network chatter is normal

but i will say that when i was with hughesnet and had the 9000, there was a few times where i would experience some abnormally high usage even when i would disconnect my router. restarting the modem always solved the issue

zekestone

@direcway.com
reply to creegah

I feel that i have encountered Phantom activity on my system also. I have a HN7000s system that functions well most of the time. I am of the opinion that Hughes messes with the FAP to get people to sign up for the GEN 4 system. I cannot find the nice performance chart that some one posted here.

zeke

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.

Click for full size
You may find here under Self Help/Tools/Check Usage

select you modem type, enter your Site ID for a 7000, SAN for 9000 & Gen4

»customercare.myhughesnet.com/

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to creegah

Tablets like a Kindle Fire will auto update, sometimes several MB's, which has left me scratching my head on more then one occasion. Androids and Apples will do this to. I dunno if they do when "At Rest" and charging or not, but the Kindle Fire HD we have has no setting I have found to turn off Auto Updates of any kind.

Wyngs

join:2010-02-20
Coos Bay, OR

I have the same problem with my wife's Kindle Fire. Annoying. But if it needs an update then it needs it. (sigh)

laserfan

Texas

I've observed too that Apple's iOS (iPhones, iPads) does sometimes download its update files without any input from the use. I have not been able to track down why it does this sometimes, but it does. The latest update is big enough to kill one day's usage on the non-Gen4 plans...
--
Gen4 Power Plan Jupiter HT1100 v3.0.2.15 Signal Strength Typical 125+

hughesnet123

join:2012-11-08
reply to creegah

Your tablets update themselves even when you have the screen turned off through your wifi when you have no idea about it. For example an ipad, and an iphone. They do automatic icloud backups every day when they connect to your wifi network. They can apparently kick on the wifi to do this now in the new update it looks like. But they don't take much bandwith.

Sometimes, it's delayed, you may show usage of your internet browsing hours later. For example right now my hughesnet gen 4 is unlimited. It's not counting anything. But it might come at me all at once.