All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired

Actiontec LAN DHCP server losing configuration?

Several times now I've had the DHCP server settings on my Actiontec MI424WR (Rev E) reset to defaults somehow. I've changed the LAN IP address of the router to 192.168.3.254 (/24) from the default 192.168.1.1, and changed the DHCP scope to 192.168.3.100 - 192.168.3.250. All is well until the router randomly decides to return the DHCP scope to the default 192.168.1.2-xxx pool. This obviously breaks any DHCP connected devices since the router's LAN IP address does not change back to its default at the same time.

It looks like I'm not the only one with this problem:

»forums.verizon.com/t5/Ho ··· p/560697

Anyone have a solution?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Often when VZ pushes a firmware update to the router, the router will do a hard reset to factory settings before loading the new firmware.

As noted in that VZ thread, if you call VZ for support, one of the first things they will do is remotely reset the router to factory settings.

The only suggestions I have are:
1) leave the router on its default subnet, or,
2) if not using the factory default subnet is that much of an issue for you, run your own router.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

said by More Fiber:

Often when VZ pushes a firmware update to the router, the router will do a hard reset to factory settings before loading the new firmware.

Well. That's really shitty. Especially considering apparently firmware updates make configuration backup files useless.

Damn. I should've pushed, and pushed hard, for ethernet. No way I want to run it myself.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint to More Fiber

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

Often when VZ pushes a firmware update to the router, the router will do a hard reset to factory settings before loading the new firmware

I have not seen the reset to factory default with my Rev. I when there is a firmware update, all my settings are intact after every firmware updates.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to PSWired

MVM

to PSWired
Since the Actiontec is subject to being reset to factory defaults either automatically or remotely by tech support, or locally by you in response to tech support, I'd suggest your network be configured to retain the Actiontec IP range.

Unless you are running a bridged connection, if the Actiontec is primary (pulling the WAN IP from VZ), you can allow the DHCP scope to stay default by configuring DHCP connected devices as DHCP Reservations. This will take a little bit of manual configuring, but once done, as MoreFiber suggested, you can save the configuration to make it easier to restore.

I'm not certain, but I think the STB "repair my connection" feature triggers a restoration to factory default. There may be similar user-invoked actions that result in the same.

Folks have repeated for the past several years that VZ does not support nor does it want to support non-standard configurations.

PSWired
Annapolis, MD

PSWired

Suggesting that Verizon would factory reset all their customers' routers at random by design is just unfathomable. That'd prevent people from using a number of common devices such as home security DVRs, etc.

At any rate, I'm not experiencing a factory default configuration here. The DHCP scope is the only thing that gets changed back to defaults. LAN IP configuration, port forwarding rules, login credentials, etc. are all maintained.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

said by PSWired:

The DHCP scope is the only thing that gets changed back to defaults

That's probably why mine hasn't change cause I didn't the change the LAN subnet IP but only the scope. This router seems to have hard coded the STB's ip from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150 range and if I remember it correctly, is the reason I didn't change the subnet.

PSWired
Annapolis, MD

PSWired

Even with my LAN subnet being in a different /24 than the default, the router still puts in reservations for the STBs in the correct subnet. Mine are at 192.168.3.100-104.
wkearney99
join:2000-12-05
Bethesda, MD

wkearney99 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
Where's the option to disable the ability for them to push a firmware update?

This is the 3rd time the router has lost it's DHCP address range.
wkearney99

wkearney99 to PSWired

to PSWired
Whatever they did yesterday when I called in for a cablecard reactivation, blew out the DHCP reservations, along with resetting the DHCP scope range.

Seriously, WTF? Folks have plenty of reasons for not using the default scope. Like using VPN connections between locations and such. Who the hell at Verizon thinks it's ok to trash a customer's settings like this? I mean, it's bad enough trying to TALK to someone at Verizon, but to have them remotely eff'ing up your premise gear? That's just utterly ridiculous!
marc3565
join:2009-10-08

marc3565 to PSWired

to PSWired
I don't believe there is an option to turn off the updates. You either keep resetting them how you want and getting upset each time it resets, find a way to work with the defaults, Set your own router as primary, or change ISPs
wkearney99
join:2000-12-05
Bethesda, MD

wkearney99

That's pretty weak. So I call to have a cablecard reactivated (which, for some unknown reason got de-activated) and they screw up my IP router? That's nonsense.