Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

reply to Nightfall

Re: Elder Scrolls Online Doomed?

said by Nightfall:

I can say that this MMO is one of the best I have played to date. Yes, WoW was fun, but I am really enjoying the questing, lore, and storyline that is presented in ESO. I am also enjoying the PVP a lot more than I was in WoW. The devs aren't sitting on their laurels.

Mmmhmm.

Agree.

The voice-over, the quest content, the graphic, the large PvP.... it all adds up. It's almost like taking the best out of all other MMOs - or at least that's how i felt.

Plus, NPC killing (and players bounty-hunting!) is coming! That's some sick update I can't wait.

I'll be running around shooting arrows on NPC's knees...

Asteldian

join:2011-05-04
united kingd
Really loving the game still. VR 11, halfway to 12, just entered Craglorn. Been working on achievements which are so much more fun when you know therre is a dye to unlock - even if I don't need it

I was pretty happy with the game even with all its issues at the start, but now the game is just brilliant, with even better things to come.

I've really enjoyed leveling up all the skill lines and experimenting too! (shameless plug: If anyone is interested, I have been guest posting at www.talesoftamriel.com and write guides on all the morphs in various skill lines).

I don't care too much about the Justice System, at least it is not as big a deal to me as it is for others...though I look forward to killing any one who decides to take what is not theirs!!

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
said by Asteldian:

I've really enjoyed leveling up all the skill lines and experimenting too! (shameless plug: If anyone is interested, I have been guest posting at www.talesoftamriel.com and write guides on all the morphs in various skill lines)

If it's named the same (Tales of Tamriel), I listened to that podcast quite a bit when the game first launched!
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

Asteldian

united kingd

1 recommendation

Yeah, the same guys do the podcast, they have a website too. I am not part of the podcast, but do write for the site

dsoegiarto

join:2010-04-16
Ottawa, ON
reply to shinjuru
just FYI, having fun with Dyes and doing leveling my VR and PvP. There's just so much content in this game that anyone power-leveling is just throwing money out of the window.

Can't wait for the justice system though...........

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
I am getting ready to start my last 8 weeks of grad school, I may have to pick this back up after I graduate. Everything was pretty much shades of brown the last time I played.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

dsoegiarto

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by bionicRod:

I am getting ready to start my last 8 weeks of grad school, I may have to pick this back up after I graduate. Everything was pretty much shades of brown the last time I played.

Get that shit done first. 8 weeks is nothing. By then, we'd probably get even more goodies.

Good luck!

PS: Yes, they tweaked the graphic. Looks very nice, although something's wrong with the texture on my PC... lol

TimothyMcCar

join:2014-08-31
reply to shinjuru
Well personally I think that it is in a very bad state and the pricing is ridiculous. Not much of a future...

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
said by TimothyMcCar:

Well personally I think that it is in a very bad state and the pricing is ridiculous. Not much of a future...

The game has over 700k subscribers which at $15 a month is over $10 million a month. If they can hold over 500k subs, the game won't be going F2P anytime soon.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Mcrobrewer
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Trenton, NJ
said by Nightfall:

said by TimothyMcCar:

The game has over 700k subscribers which at $15 a month is over $10 million a month. If they can hold over 500k subs, the game won't be going F2P anytime soon.

Not doubting you at all but where did you get the 700K and 500K numbers from?
--
Obama is a liar.... a cheat... a person of low moral character... the least common denominator...

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
said by Mcrobrewer:

said by Nightfall:

said by TimothyMcCar:

Not doubting you at all but where did you get the 700K and 500K numbers from?

I read the story back in July. The sub numbers could have went up or down since then. With the game going live on Steam, who knows what the actual numbers are today.

A quick google search reveals a couple different sources.

»gamerant.com/elder-scrolls-onlin···revenue/

Personally, I don't care about sub numbers. I care about the quality of the game. EVE online carried 500k subs as of 2013 which is where I came up with my 500k estimate for Elder Scrolls Online. 500k would be plenty of subs to keep the game going.
--

Asteldian

united kingd
Yes, 700kish is what the going estimate is, if it is true then that is a substantial number. FFXI peaked at 400k and was a huge success for Square, FFXIV after 3 months was 600k and they were very happy with that (and that game was expensive due to essentially having to be remade) they now have a heck of a lot of subs and going strong.

Given that Zeni own all the rights to ESO, it is far easier to turn a profit, therefore the pressures of insanely high subs is not on them. If they drop below 500k they will be concerned but still profitable though they would probably consider F2P to make more money.

For me the game has been great, though not withot flaws, but with 1.4 starting to bring actual challenging content for end game (Dragonstar seems epic for 4 man!) things are really getting better. Once Imperial City for PvP is released and the Champion system replaces VR, this game is going to be really epic.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
said by Asteldian:

Yes, 700kish is what the going estimate is, if it is true then that is a substantial number. FFXI peaked at 400k and was a huge success for Square, FFXIV after 3 months was 600k and they were very happy with that (and that game was expensive due to essentially having to be remade) they now have a heck of a lot of subs and going strong.

Given that Zeni own all the rights to ESO, it is far easier to turn a profit, therefore the pressures of insanely high subs is not on them. If they drop below 500k they will be concerned but still profitable though they would probably consider F2P to make more money.

For me the game has been great, though not withot flaws, but with 1.4 starting to bring actual challenging content for end game (Dragonstar seems epic for 4 man!) things are really getting better. Once Imperial City for PvP is released and the Champion system replaces VR, this game is going to be really epic.

Agreed.

There are too many people who put a premium on sub numbers. If you look at successful MMORPGs like EVE online who continue to do well with just a small share of subs, this game has the potential to do the same thing if they wish.

I really like the changes coming in 1.4 and have subbed another 3 months. If they keep the changes and additional content coming, I won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
--

Mcrobrewer
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Trenton, NJ
reply to shinjuru
I agree sub numbers dont matter much to me the player... as long as the world is "full enough" but they matter tremendously to the companies behind the games.

Those numbers seem like estimates might have to do more digging to see what they are actually based on.

Having said that F2P seems to be the way these type of games are going and I would be surprised if it turns out differently here.
--
Obama is a liar.... a cheat... a person of low moral character... the least common denominator...

Asteldian

united kingd
F2P is always a chance in today's market. As mentioned though, unlike many games that have released, ESO is pure privately owned - publishing, license, the production cost, it is all in house, that means all money coming in from subs is theirs and not disappearing into other people's pockets for rights or from borrowing cash for development costs. Add in all the extra non-game loot they are marketing and that is a lot of extra $ coming in.

The closest game you can compare with is FFXIV (hence mentioning it earlier) because they are in a very similar position - they own it all, it is a well known IP. As mentioned, they were at 600k after 3 months and considered it a resounding success - since then they still have 500k log ins a day (I believe PS4 version being released helped this), so I imagine they are over the moon as it means they likely have even more than 600k active subs.

So, at 500k-700k ESO is in a great place, even if numbers dropped drastically, there is no way they would try going F2P prior to the console release, which even if not hugely successful would still be a lot of players to maintain a sub base.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
This is a good point. The 775k subscriber number in June could be much higher. The game went live on Steam since then and then you have the console release looming as well. They could top 1 million subs in a couple months.
--

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to shinjuru
Zenimax is laying off people.

Bethesda has confirmed to Game Informer that there have been layoffs at the company. The job reductions were focused on staff working on The Elder Scrolls Online’s launch in development and customer support.

“As is the norm for games of this type, we had ramped up a large workforce to develop a game of vast scale, and ramped up our customer service to handle the expected questions and community needs of The Elder Scrolls Online at launch,” a company representative told us via email. “Now that we are nearly six months post launch, we have a thriving online community in a game that runs smoothly. We have adjusted staffing to meet the ongoing needs of the studio, which continues to operate with a large work force.”

»www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch···ine.aspx

/damage control: on /prayers: activated

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
Not surprising. They had a huge tech support force when the game came out and now that it is stable and the bugs are mostly worked out, they don't need as big of a workforce. It really is a no brainer.
--

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
Hey, that's exactly what they said!

Asteldian

united kingd
Yeah, the layoff period is always an exciting time for naysayers of games, they love jumping on it to say 'see?! The game is dying!!'. The same way they do when server merges occur after a launch.
The fact it happens in every game is irrelevant to them, it is an opportunity for negativity.

When the layoffs start includng Nick, Paul, or any of the other actual devs, then there is news worth talking about

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
said by Asteldian:

Yeah, the layoff period is always an exciting time for naysayers of games, they love jumping on it to say 'see?! The game is dying!!'. The same way they do when server merges occur after a launch.

...then again for some games the layoffs really were the sign that things weren't going well, such as it was for SWTOR. FTP followed soon thereafter.

I do believe that ESO is healthier at this point then SWTOR was at the time, even though I did cancel my own sub last month because I had gone through the three campaigns, was sitting at VR11 and I wasn't finding much interesting stuff to do that my casual schedule fit with. I still like the game but I had run out of stuff to do (I don't PvP).

I'll probably re-sub in a few months and explore the new content when I run out of other games to interest me. I have a long list of games queued up on Steam that I never even installed.

I do the same with LOTRO (got a lifetime sub) and GW2. Every few months I'll play for a while until something else catches my fancy. May not happen as often with ESO though due to the monthly fee. Time will tell.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to shinjuru
Only imploding after 6 months. Not bad for a MMO.

Oh.. it also plays like a MMO which makes it bad.

Asteldian

united kingd
reply to IamGimli
It certinly can be. The info given tells us nothing though.
CS, Artists and Special effects teams will always get culled after launch - you just don't need the numbers you did when putting a full game together. So you will always have a layoff period, but as usual the details we are fed just leaves room for wild predictions - if they went from 100 down to 2 artists, then yeah, this is a problem, on the other hand if they halved the crew, that would be pretty much as expected.

So yeah, the layoffs will happen, usually games news like to jump on it, but it is hit and miss whether or not it has any relevance to the health of a game or an indication of things to come - even if ESO was the most successful game since WoW, it still would go through the layoffs because excess weight is exactly that regardless of the fortune you are making.

The game does play like an MMO. To some that is bad, but to others that is good - for me I haven't really bothered playing a single player game seriously for years because they are finite and for me rather boring. Course, if I played an MMO alone I would find that boring too.

dsoegiarto

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to shinjuru
Just FYI, I came back to the game after few weeks hiatus (vacation) and the past few nights, I consistently see hundreds vs hundreds in Alliance war (30-day campaign, GO EP!!! LOL we just shit-rolled everything the past 2 night.) and many MANY people in the major hubs of ALL REGIONS (of Ebonheart Pact) since I've been travelling to find Lorebooks so I can hit level 10 on Mages Guild.

Seriously. The game is thriving. Just throwing it out there for the naysayer. Even if it goes F2P or whatever, I feel like I'm getting my $10/mth (6-mth subber) worth. That's all that matters to me.

Asteldian

united kingd
reply to shinjuru
It is hard to tell how well things are going due to megaserver technology, but yes, it deifnitely seems bubbling which is good. I can't wait for Dragonstar Arena coming out in 1.4 which should be next week. I can definitely say my monthly sub has never been so well spent compared to this game.
The only glaring issue I feel needs to be addressed is the itemisation in the game, it is getting better but still has a way to go (questionable trait decisions on dropped gear). The Magicka/Stamina imbalance needs work but each patch the gap is closing so it is at least in a reasonable place now.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to dsoegiarto
said by dsoegiarto:

Seriously. The game is thriving. Just throwing it out there for the naysayer. Even if it goes F2P or whatever, I feel like I'm getting my $10/mth (6-mth subber) worth. That's all that matters to me.

I have been running around as a VR2 with my cousin and we have yet to hit an area that doesn't have people in it. Cyrodill is thriving as well. This is good to see as I remember the days when our WoW server was dying and Warhammer populations hit an all time low. Was really hard to play those games.

I am going to stick with my sub every 3 months for right now. I usually don't have a problem with subbing for 6 months, but I want to see what is coming out down the road first.
--

dsoegiarto

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Nightfall:

said by dsoegiarto:

I have been running around as a VR2 with my cousin and we have yet to hit an area that doesn't have people in it. Cyrodill is thriving as well. This is good to see as I remember the days when our WoW server was dying and Warhammer populations hit an all time low. Was really hard to play those games.

I am going to stick with my sub every 3 months for right now. I usually don't have a problem with subbing for 6 months, but I want to see what is coming out down the road first.

1.4 out today. now it goes up to VR14.

but reason i post here is just to say that the game is as alive as ever. was wondering around all over tamriel last night to do VR in DC, back to socialize in EP, then some PvP in Cyro.... they're all full of players. It's great to see how this game is shaping up.

Asteldian

united kingd
It's great to keep getting these updates, it has stopped the game ever feeling stale - just as I start to get everything done another patch arries! My friends and I only just got round to doing and completing the V12 Crypt of Hearts dungeon, we still need to work on it to get better and get the achievements, but it is great to have the Dragonstar Arena to attack once we are done. I hope Upper Craglorn has another questline like Shada's Tear too - that was a brutal quest, probably my favorite in the game

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to shinjuru
My cousin and I are at VR2 right now and really just questing and playing in Cyrodiil. We are completionists so we are still running around and completing every quest we find. We read all the dialog and really just take our time in the game. We have a long way to go before we can get into Craglorn, but are making great progress.

The new Enchantment changes have made me want to invest in leveling it now. I think I will do that with one of my alt characters.

Overall, so long as they keep the updates coming, I am happy.
--

dsoegiarto

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Nightfall:

My cousin and I are at VR2 right now and really just questing and playing in Cyrodiil. We are completionists so we are still running around and completing every quest we find. We read all the dialog and really just take our time in the game. We have a long way to go before we can get into Craglorn, but are making great progress.

The new Enchantment changes have made me want to invest in leveling it now. I think I will do that with one of my alt characters.

Overall, so long as they keep the updates coming, I am happy.

I'm the same. Taking my time n reading all the quests. The voice-over really makes a difference for this game.

Currently VR3, veeerrryyy close to VR4 lol.... but mostly spend time in Cyro as well.

I *just* start leveling 1H+Shield and got bitten as vampire. I'm already 2H max and destro staff, and lv10 werewolves as well. Time to switch it up That's what great about this game.