Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall

Re: Elder Scrolls Online Doomed?

I didn't even know you could do hand to hand, that's cool.

I had trouble levelling during the last beta. I did all my quests and was only like level 12, while all the quests were level 15. It wasn't until later I realized that exploration is a huge part of the game and I hadn't done any of it. I'm going to go back and hit all the map markers, see what I missed this weekend, and if I can really gain 3 levels just wandering around.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by TheBionic:

I didn't even know you could do hand to hand, that's cool.

I had trouble levelling during the last beta. I did all my quests and was only like level 12, while all the quests were level 15. It wasn't until later I realized that exploration is a huge part of the game and I hadn't done any of it. I'm going to go back and hit all the map markers, see what I missed this weekend, and if I can really gain 3 levels just wandering around.

When I say hand to hand, I mean melee with sword and shield. I was thinking two hander, but that isn't my style.

My cousin and I have just been messing around with various characters. I think by the end of the weekend, we should be able to decide something.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Nightfall:

When I say hand to hand, I mean melee with sword and shield. I was thinking two hander, but that isn't my style.

Gotcha. For a second there I thought you could go unarmed like you can in the single player games. I couldn't figure out how to gear up a toon like that lol.
said by Nightfall:

My cousin and I have just been messing around with various characters. I think by the end of the weekend, we should be able to decide something.

I'm the same. I've got three beta toons now, one in each faction, each a different class. I think my favorite is still the dragon knight. I may fire him up this weekend and mess around with some abilities.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to shinjuru

to shinjuru
Last beta is this week-end. Starts tomorrow at noon. I have two keys if anyone is interested. PM me and I'll give them out to the first two. No anons.
Nesse
join:2009-06-12
Naperville, IL

Nesse to TheBionic

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

It's pretty traditional overall IMO. I'd suggest checking out videos on Youtube if you're interested. Try Force Strategy Gaming for a lot of good solo gameplay / commentary.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out for sure. I guess after SWTOR, TERA and GW2 only holding my interest for a short time, I've lost the desire to jump head first into any new MMOs. Unless of course its a Wastelands/Fallout MMO. I might be willing to give that a whirl. Its been a long time since I have heard any talk about a Fallout MMO.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Nesse:

said by TheBionic:

It's pretty traditional overall IMO. I'd suggest checking out videos on Youtube if you're interested. Try Force Strategy Gaming for a lot of good solo gameplay / commentary.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out for sure. I guess after SWTOR, TERA and GW2 only holding my interest for a short time, I've lost the desire to jump head first into any new MMOs. Unless of course its a Wastelands/Fallout MMO. I might be willing to give that a whirl. Its been a long time since I have heard any talk about a Fallout MMO.

You can always check out the beta this weekend, last one before launch. I have a couple codes, PM me or Raible See Profile for one if you want to give it a whirl.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to shinjuru

MVM

to shinjuru
I think I have a couple beta codes as well that I am not using.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

Mike to shinjuru

Mod

to shinjuru
This... this may not suck.

Honestly. It's not the same old WoW clone bullshit.

It's not as pretty as skyrim but it plays very similar.

Characters move too fast and their legs are too fast but that's modern game movement syndrome.

Also hey look at that.. this game has turned me into a kleptomaniac again

Raible
Plainfield, IN

Raible

It is very pretty.

Good to see you got that launcher working.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Yeah but it plays like skyrim. Low level casters destroy your face without any difficulty.

It's pretty for a MMO but the graphics compared to a single player game are ancient.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Play in first person, get rid of the mob effects and remove the UI and it REALLY looks like skyrim. I personally couldn't play like that though.

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie to shinjuru

to shinjuru
Does it have the slow motion killing moves like in Skyrim? That was pretty much the main reason I played Skyrim (and Demons Soul).

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

It's still an MMO, it doesn't have slow motion finishing moves or anything since your character is in a world that exists outside of your character. If you went into slow mo and got attacked by another mob or player it would not be a good thing.

For an MMO though, it does a good job at making you feel invested in the questing as a single player experience.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
I still cannot believe they haven't or won't add a FoV slider for first person mode
Nesse
join:2009-06-12
Naperville, IL

Nesse to Mike

to Mike
said by Mike:

If this is accurate, I think I just become much more interested in the game.

Raible
Plainfield, IN

1 edit

Raible to shinjuru

to shinjuru
My fucking 780 just blew. Exactly one week old. Mother f#$*er

Sorry for OT but I was enjoying the beta at full max 60FPS when it happened. Just FYI, HD4000 at medium on this game is FRAP'ing at 15FPS.

(update) - Preset "High" settings on a 570GTX is 75FPS. (if anyone cares). And....it was definitely my brand new card blowing up on me.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to Nesse

Mod

to Nesse
I think it's mmo syndrome.

Everything compared to a single player game is smaller in size.
Crafting is impossible to understand and is meaningless.
Every other quest is bugged

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Nesse

Premium Member

to Nesse
said by Nesse:

said by Mike:

If this is accurate, I think I just become much more interested in the game.

This was my reaction as well after playing the beta in December. Literally EVERYTHING I had watched or read about ESO made it look like an MMO money grab, but I really enjoyed the beta, thought the combat was engaging and gratifying (other than the cast-cast-wait style of play evident in prior videos), and I dug the story.

That's not enough to make me buy the game (I recently got back into WoW), but I was very pleasantly surprised about the polish and what they had accomplished so far. Definitely turned around my opinion of the game.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

Crafting in this game is more meaningful than any MMO I've ever played, as you craft very useful stuff for yourself to wear as long as you have the mats. I crafted almost everything I'm wearing, and most of it is miles better than the quest rewards. And you don't have to craft x number of low level pieces to get it either. Researching takes forever though. My character is researching a trait that takes 12 hours to complete, ugh.

Mcrobrewer
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
Trenton, NJ

Mcrobrewer

Premium Member

said by TheBionic:

said by Mike:

Crafting in this game is more meaningful than any MMO I've ever played, as you craft very useful stuff for yourself to wear as long as you have the mats. I crafted almost everything I'm wearing, and most of it is miles better than the quest rewards. And you don't have to craft x number of low level pieces to get it either. Researching takes forever though. My character is researching a trait that takes 12 hours to complete, ugh.

Did you ever play Star Wars Galaxies? IMHO that had the best crafting I have seen ever in an MMO.
Mcrobrewer

Mcrobrewer to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
Hmmm cant seem to get the beta running... program will not even launch and I get an error....

Doing a repair now.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to Mcrobrewer

Premium Member

to Mcrobrewer
said by Mcrobrewer:

Did you ever play Star Wars Galaxies? IMHO that had the best crafting I have seen ever in an MMO.

No I didn't, but I wish I had. I've heard it was nothing if not unique.

Mcrobrewer
Premium Member
Trenton, NJ

Mcrobrewer

Premium Member

SWG was truly great.... I was a bounty hunter and the constant chasing of Jedis was really fun...
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned)

said by Mcrobrewer:

SWG was truly great

No, it was truly crap. I got the CE played it for 3 days and never went back.
The servers were down for weeks at a time with hardly any explanation. The combat was really bad, slow, stupid. And it died with hardly anyone playing still ...

Mcrobrewer
Premium Member
Trenton, NJ

Mcrobrewer

Premium Member

said by gaforces:

said by Mcrobrewer:

SWG was truly great

No, it was truly crap. I got the CE played it for 3 days and never went back.
The servers were down for weeks at a time with hardly any explanation. The combat was really bad, slow, stupid. And it died with hardly anyone playing still ...

Wow and you learned this all in 3 days....

The launch was tough... like many MMOs even today...

But as far as crafting and combat... much better than most.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
I'm having trouble playing the beta because we are so close to launch and the toon is going to be wiped, it feels like a waste of time. I got to level 15 and got a taste of two weapons, I really like it. I am a conjuration mage with a bow, a two handed axe, and medium armor specced for DPS...and it's very viable. Pretty cool.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by TheBionic:

I'm having trouble playing the beta because we are so close to launch and the toon is going to be wiped, it feels like a waste of time. I got to level 15 and got a taste of two weapons, I really like it. I am a conjuration mage with a bow, a two handed axe, and medium armor specced for DPS...and it's very viable. Pretty cool.

I am in the same boat.

The PVP in this game is awesome. The PvE is fun too, but I wish they would fix the phasing/grouping problems. My cousin and I were able to play together a lot of the time, but we had a couple instances where we couldn't zone in together, and that was disappointing.

I really want to keep playing, but I am unmotivated to because of the fact the beta is over after this weekend and my character is going to get wiped.

I am going to play a priest like character. One handed mace with a shield. I will heal as well. I keep thinking that medium armor is where I want to be.

monchis
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09

monchis

Premium Member

Only healing class is Templar right?
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned) to Mcrobrewer

to Mcrobrewer
I would have played more if the servers were up. SOE tried to charge a sub even though the servers were only up for around 8 days of 30, had to do a chargeback.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to Cat5

MVM

to Cat5
said by Cat5:

At the end of the day the value for money point is going to differ from person to person. To lots of people here the subscription model is fine, but for the many console gamers expecting this to be a Skyrim style MMO the subscription will put them off.

This really is the thing in a nutshell.

When I look at this, there are many people who have been clamoring for a Skyrim multiplayer game. There are some mods out there trying to do just that, but Skyrim wasn't built for it. So people waited for something to come out. ESO is that game.

I do think that half the skyrim players were hoping for another game they could play 200+ hours for $60. I also think that the other half of skyrim players are giving ESO a very good look. As has been pointed out before, if a small percentage of Skyrim players purchase ESO and sub to it, it will be more than enough to make the game viable.