Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Ghastlyone

Re: Elder Scrolls Online Doomed?

There are controllers with keyboards on them but generally most likely what you said.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to shinjuru
I used to play DCUO on the PS3, and I bought a cheap USB keyboard with a long cord for chat. It still sucked. The chat box on the tv was pretty small from the couch.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:5
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

How the hell does general/trade chat work in an MMO on consoles?

Do they spend 5 minutes typing with their controllers "WTB 2 LARGE GOLD BARS"

You stand in town and yell into your headset so that others in town (both in game as well as your real town) hear you pawning your wares.

If someone wants to buy something from you, they come up and start a restricted voice chat with you so that you two can talk on the DL.
--
www.Absölution.com
Absolution -- MSV: 6/6 0/6H -- HoF: 4/6 -- ToES: 4/4 -- ToT: 12/12 -- SoO: 13/14F 12/14

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to cat666
said by Ast1 :

$15 a month, I don't know about you guys in the US, but here in the UK it costs £9 for a cinema ticket, then around £6-£7 for food and drink (more if going large). Thats £16, or $25ish for 2 hrs of entertainment. If I am willing to do that, then essentially I need to play for about 70 minutes in a month to make paying a subscription 'justified'. Add in 6 more hours in the first month to cover the cost of initial purchase. Technically any time more than that is getting more for my money than I would with another form of entertainment, I can't imagine anyone plugging in less than 10 hours in month, so really, a subscription game is great value for money even if not a hardcore player.

said by cat666:

If a game was £9 a month then I'd jump on it. The trouble is ESO is going to be £40-£50 and then £9 a month. For £40-£50 the vast majority of ESO's target audience (Skyrim players) expect to play for 200+ hours free of charge, like they did with Skyrim, Oblivion etc.

You are both correct. The $15 a month is chump change when it comes to gaming if you are going to play the game for a certain amount of time. I choose to value my gaming at $1.50 an hour. If I get 10 hours of enjoyment per month out of the game, then I am recouping my investment. When I stopped playing WoW, I was only playing about 4-5 hours a month, if that. I had no interest in continuing, so I cancelled the account.

There are many games that I have gotten my moneys worth out of, and then there are games I have bought that have been colossal disasters. Games that I have bought for $50 and then gotten only 8-10 hours of playtime out of them.

On the flip side, you do have the mentality of the gamer who plays Skyrim that won't like the subscription model. At the same time though, these are the same Skyrim players who have been asking for a multiplayer version of Skyrim. They realize that it is going to take a subscription to get what they want. The key is....will there be enough there to bring in the gamers and retain them? That will be decided soon enough.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Vinceruos

join:2011-05-04
Dumfries, VA
reply to shinjuru
Will def be buying this and will be playing as soon as the servers come up. Even if it doesnt have the end game to last forever, I can garuntee you that the 1-60 experience will be worth the $60 in itself. And I think people forget that you get the first 30 days for free, and if you dont like it past that then dont sub. People are too hung up on the subscription model. I would be more concerned for the longevity on the game if it didnt not have a monthly subscription, but w/e. I will play and enjoy it for 30 days and if I like what they are doing with the end game I will remain subbed. I cant wait!

And for all of you people saying things like "nobody wanted a skyrim mmo", you are lost my friend. I have always wanted to play an elderscrolls MMO ever since I first played oblivion way back when. The world feels dead once you get overpowered in an elderscrolls game, and thats when I have always quit. Now, you will have something to do with your OP'ness. Like I said, I can garuntee it will be a dam fun game worth the $60 for sure. We shall see if it has what it takes to last longer.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Does your guarantee have an easy money back policy? If you will return me $60 back if I don't have fun in the first 30 days, I will gladly go and pick it up on first day it's available!

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
said by ekster:

Does your guarantee have an easy money back policy? If you will return me $60 back if I don't have fun in the first 30 days, I will gladly go and pick it up on first day it's available!

As I am sure you know, there are no guarantee's when it comes to PC gaming.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to shinjuru
I will probably buy this to check it out. I'm sure I'll get $60 worth of enjoyment out of it. I may sub for a month or two but that's about my endurance level for MMOs before they start to get old to me. I would love to be wrong and get hooked enough to continue to sub for a year or more but prior experience says that is not likely to happen.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Vinceruos
but but but WoW!!!!

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
said by Krisnatharok:

but but but WoW!!!!

Maybe Vinc will do with ESO like he did with GW2. Not even play it at all, and then proceed to shit all over it constantly?

bionicRod
Premium
united state
said by Ghastlyone:

said by Krisnatharok:

but but but WoW!!!!

Maybe Vinc will do with ESO like he did with GW2. Not even play it at all, and then proceed to shit all over it constantly?

I thought that was him...lol
--

Savious Zero
Simply the best
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
kudos:4
reply to Grimm
said by Grimm:

Can beta codes be given away or are they specific to each person's PC specs? If so, Savious, I may or may not be able to use mine this wknd. If not, I'll give you mine.

I appreciate that. If you can't, forward me the email, I'll pm you my email. I have to work over the weekend, but I should be able to get 10+ hours in.
--
Gaming with me is better than sex.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
reply to shinjuru
Just keep in mind, the beta client is like a 25-30gb install.

Ast1

@80.79.208.x
reply to IamGimli
Iamgimli - regarding the playstation and PC all in one not working - When I said it was successful I was mainly focused on the controller issue mentioned earlier when someone assmed you would have to get keyboard and mouse for Playstation.
You are right that Playstation 3 has caused some issues, specifically the lag, but to be fair that is partially an issue with inexperience of combining the platforms - the recent patch actually addressed the delay issue in more vital areas (high end dungeons/end game stuff) so the issue is resolvable, and in time I would imagine the same solution can be rolled out in general areas.
Also, the issue really comes from making it cross platform with the PS3 which is an old and relatively weak machine. Had they waited and released the console version on the PS4 I believe the integration between PC and console would have been far better. I know FFXIV will be free for PS4 users that had purchased the PS3 version, but if their hope is to no longer need to worry about the game running on the PS3 I fear they have been rather optimistic that all their players will get a PS4.

With ESO being released on the latest consoles rather than the older generation, I believe they could have had a near flawless integration between the two, given that FFXIV works well (but not ideally) even with PS3 limitations, it makes sense that the latest gen would not result in the same limitations.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
Ironically enough I got an invite for this weekend's beta (stress) test. Apparently Bethesda can't learn from past mistakes because every game they make loses basic functionality, such as the ability to remap controls. First in Skyrim they didn't allow remapping of controls to the numpad, now in the ESO beta you can't remap controls at all (that I've seen in the client so far anyway). Great big F-U to left-handed gamers and a sure way to make sure I'll never buy the damn thing.

Ast1

@80.79.208.x
I thought every MMO lets you remap controls, I find it hard to believe ESO would have neglected that. My wife certainly wouldn't go within a mile of the game if she can't remap keybinds.
If they have left that out I can only assume it is added in come release, otherwise it is an unecessary restriction which will piss a lot of people off

cat666

join:2013-04-26
reply to shinjuru
I struggle to see how MMO's cannot be cross platform. Essentially the MMO is on a server somewhere, and all you do is connect to it, using local files for the sound/visuals. Everyone has a slightly different PC and we manage to all connect to the same MMO. Sure, some are laggier than others, but it works.

Therefore a console is basically the PC, as long as it can connect to the Internet then it should be able to connect to the MMO server. Older consoles won't load the data up as fast, just like older PC's don't.

The only reason I can see for not being cross platform is the controls, and the fact that PC gamers are going to be at a distinct advantage, especially when it comes to PVP. Personally though, I'd like to see it cross platform with a log in working on PC or console.

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
Just received an invite in my inbox for access into the latest round of the beta. This is just an fyi for everyone expecting to try out the beta and is waiting for their invite. If you were invited then now might a good time to check your inboxes.

Beta access will begin on Friday, January 10th at 6:00PM EST until Sunday, January 12th at 11:59PM EST.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
I'm not sure if the final is out on their servers or not, but I'd suggest you guys go ahead and patch up, its another big'n

Vinceruos

join:2011-05-04
Dumfries, VA
reply to Ghastlyone
GW2 still sucks, has always sucked, will always suck. Seriously, that game is horrible. Of course I will continue to play WoW, the greatest game ever made!

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

Great big F-U to left-handed gamers and a sure way to make sure I'll never buy the damn thing.

For real? That's terrible.

I've seen stuff like this in indie games (which isn't acceptable but at least understandable) but it's pretty weak of an outfit the size of Bethesda to not have this functionality.

Did you report it, on the off chance where it was an oversight, rather than a voluntary omission?
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

IamGimli

Canada
I'm waiting for the beta weekend to officially start as it is possible that it's present only from within the game client while connected to servers, although I doubt it. I have access to pretty much all other settings right now (graphics, sound, etc.) but there's none available for controls. It will definitely go in as feedback although if past experience is any indication they won't care as they never did fix Skyrim to be able to remap to the numpad, a third party had to make a mod for it.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by IamGimli:

if past experience is any indication they won't care as they never did fix Skyrim to be able to remap to the numpad, a third party had to make a mod for it.

I'm not really an MMO player but I get the impression that they aren't that moddable, so a third party won't be an option in this case. It would be incumbent on Bethesda to sort it out as quickly as possible.

EQ
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
said by El Quintron:

said by IamGimli:

if past experience is any indication they won't care as they never did fix Skyrim to be able to remap to the numpad, a third party had to make a mod for it.

I'm not really an MMO player but I get the impression that they aren't that moddable, so a third party won't be an option in this case. It would be incumbent on Bethesda to sort it out as quickly as possible.

EQ

WoW has literally hundreds of mods for it. People use gamepads and everything for it--I do hope they allow mouse-over macros at the very least.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to shinjuru
Got my invite.

I was invited to the previous week-end but wasn't able to play so I feared I may not get the invite for this one. Appreciate you guys giving me the heads up to check my inbox. I don't check that email very often.

I have this week-end free, so I'm looking forward to it.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

WoW has literally hundreds of mods for it.

Good to know, I guess that brings up another question (and will most definitely show my noobish-ness when it comes to anything multiplayer ) how do they prevent cheating, or determine that one mod is allowable and one isn't?
--

IamGimli

Canada
They have a framework which only allows certain commands and functions, which are difficult to exploit for cheating. I won't say impossible because it's happened in the past but it's pretty robust.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by IamGimli:

They have a framework which only allows certain commands and functions, which are difficult to exploit for cheating.

So at the end of the day, you wouldn't be completely screwed, but Bethesda should take some responsibility for left handed gaming irrespective of what mods may or may not come into existence.

EQ
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

said by Krisnatharok:

WoW has literally hundreds of mods for it.

Good to know, I guess that brings up another question (and will most definitely show my noobish-ness when it comes to anything multiplayer ) how do they prevent cheating, or determine that one mod is allowable and one isn't?

They try to vet the stuff, and will ban a mod that breaks the game for people.

By way of an example, there was a mod that came out a couple years ago called something like "Don't Stand There!" that projected a raid boss's mechanics into colored polygons on the ground. If the boss was going to a frontal-cone smash, a big red V would appear in front of the boss and the mod would scream at you if you stood there. If you needed to get to a safe/null zone to avoid an AOE, the null zone would appear as a green circle.

Blizzard thought this was too much hand holding (despite some of this stuff already being available in terms of the animations behind the boss's telegraphed move, Deadly Boss Mods warning you if you are taking damage, etc.), so they yanked it.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

IamGimli

Canada
reply to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

So at the end of the day, you wouldn't be completely screwed, but Bethesda should take some responsibility for left handed gaming irrespective of what mods may or may not come into existence.

EQ

I was commenting specifically on how WoW does it. I have no idea whether ESO will support any addon, let alone one that permits the edition of such basic controls. WoW, for example, wouldn't be able to support that through addons.