Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

1 edit

TheBionic to saillaw

Premium Member

to saillaw

Re: Elder Scrolls Online Doomed?

So the console version has been delayed at least six months, but to make up for it Zenimax has struck a deal to allow PC players to port their accounts over to one of the consoles when it launches for $20? How does this make sense, and I can't see any benefit to do such a thing (edit: except to drive console players to get it on pc now, which if they are able you'd think they'd do it anyway, then switch later) .

OMG I can play at a lower resolution, lower framerate with no video options and on weaker hardware for only $20? Yes please! /sarcasm

I would link to the official page but websensed.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

Kinda ballsy charging $20 bucks for the transfer. I'd think that should be fucking free since it's their fuckup.

Wow
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

1 recommendation

IamGimli (banned) to saillaw

to saillaw
said by saillaw:

What advantage would there be to giving it a try vs. reviving my WoW account and prepping for their next expansion?

Since you're looking for reasons not to play it there certainly wouldn't be any.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by IamGimli:

said by saillaw:

What advantage would there be to giving it a try vs. reviving my WoW account and prepping for their next expansion?

Since you're looking for reasons not to play it there certainly wouldn't be any.

I have to say if I hadn't played the betas and was going solely off of reviews I'd avoid this game like the plague. Thankfully I played the betas and liked it. saillaw See Profile, the questing in this feels more like Skyrim than WoW, although of course it is different than Skyrim and has certain MMO tropes.

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5 to saillaw

to saillaw
said by saillaw:

For me it would be all about the money. WoW is dirt cheap currently and if you already have it, £8.99 will give you a month of game time. On the flipside ESO will still set you back £30-£40 depending on deals for the same time frame.

If you are on the fence about ESO, like myself, you have to ask can you justify those losses if the game does turn out to be another SWTOR in a couple of months time?
Asteldian
join:2011-05-04
united kingd

Asteldian

The reviews range from 6 up to 9 depending on what you are reading. Given that a lot of reviews are from people that made it to 15, they are missing out on a lot. But then again, most MMOs don't get huge scores from critics due to the time you need to invest to truly get a feel for a game.

Given you can buy the game for just £20 from cd keys, if you are looking for an MMO there is no harm in trying it. I can understand not wanting to pay full price from the ES site.
I would be very surprised if the game goes F2P anytime within the year, like FFXIV, ESO is self published and therefore a lot of pressure and financial requirements are thrown out the window. FFXIV was considered a huge success by Square when they had 600k subscribers after the first couple months, having hoped for 400k as a good healthy number to achieve (one would assume 300-400k would have been disappointing but financially acceptable). In comparison, SWTOR had 500k subs and fled to F2P. So, if wanting to wait, I am afraid there is likely a long one simply due to the less financial pressures giving a lot more wiggle room.

Regarding my lag issues. I reset my router the other day and have been combat lag free (excluding the games own issues which I think everyone notices, minor for the most part, but a subtle delay noticed at times, and a not so subtle issue with various charge moves)
So, my conclusion is that it efinitely is not my PC or its specs (which I was fairly confident about anyway, it's getting a bit long in the teeth but still plenty of juice - i5 750, GTX560, RAM a bit low at 4gb but no issues). Usually I have 80-90 FPS on High settings (though I have reduced some of the extra effects lower down the graphics list) and 40 in busy places.

Now, I haven't played all that much the last few days since reseting the router, more importantly neither has my wife, so, the conclusion I am coming to is:

1) If really lucky, reseting my router has resolved my issue

2) More realisticly, my ISP is incorrectly treating ESO as P2P (I know for a fact this is an issue with some Virgin Media customers), my lag free experience the last few days has been largely due to neither myself nor the wife being on much and therefore not actually reaching our fair usage cap and therefore not being throttled by my ISP.

If it is a throttle issue it is because the ISP will cap me at 752kb upload speed, one person playing this likely won't cause much of an issue (I think 600kb is all you really need for a smooth gaming experience), but my wife and I playing means that upload is being used by 2 at once, then of course when my friend also plays (yes, we have his PC at our house too!) you then get 3 people choking the upload speed.

If I was not being throttled then upload speed should not be a problem as I am at 3Mb, which later this year gets freely upgraded to 6Mb (and 120Mb download speed, yay!).

Unfortuantely as the sister in law has visited for the week it will be a while before I get the chance to properly test out the game post router reset (with 3 of us on and puting in many an hour of game time), but I am optimistically confident I have correctly narrowed down my issue with the 2 points above. And of course praying that the simple task of reseting the router solved all my problems (hey, a guy can dream can't he?)

Cat5

Cat5

said by Asteldian:

If it is a throttle issue it is because the ISP will cap me at 752kb upload speed, one person playing this likely won't cause much of an issue (I think 600kb is all you really need for a smooth gaming experience), but my wife and I playing means that upload is being used by 2 at once, then of course when my friend also plays (yes, we have his PC at our house too!) you then get 3 people choking the upload speed.

Download speed means very little in online gaming. It's the line quality and the ping which is the important thing. pingtest.net will tell you how good your connection is for gaming, but like you say some ISP's treat P2P traffic differently. I believe you can get round this with VPN's but I've never had the need to do it.

Upload speed as well means very little, as the data you send is tiny. The issue is the data taking a while to reach where it needs to go, and/or arriving with bits missing.
Asteldian
united kingd

Asteldian

Hmm, my understanding was that you really want about 0.5Mb upload speed (which to be fair is pretty small) being throttled to 0.75Mb with 2-3 people connected would explain latency issues.
If you are suggesting the upload speed didn't matter, then the throttling my ISP does would be irrelevant as 0.75Mb from 3Mb would be fine.

Other than the download/upload speed, my understanding is my ISP does not change anything else when it comes to P2P throttling, which means it would not be an issue.

Where in the US are the servers located? I can always test my internet getting to and from a server in that location to see if there are issues.

The fact the EU server is in the US does not help, but I have played plenty of MMOs in the past on US servers without any kind of issue. Outside of incorrectly labelling a game as P2P my ISP has never given any issues in terms of line quality.

Unfortunately networking stuff is beyond my comfort zone, my knowledge is more the hardware side of things

saillaw
Premium Member
join:2007-05-08
Dismay

saillaw to IamGimli

Premium Member

to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

said by saillaw:

I'm actually looking for reasons to play it. There are so many bad reviews about it that I was hoping for a magical nugget of insight from one of you that would convince me it is not a foolish purchase. I want this game to be great and to succeed, but that desire cannot erase reality.

I think after reading the comments above, that it am simply going to wait another month or so before making a decision.
saillaw

saillaw to Cat5

Premium Member

to Cat5
said by Cat5:

said by saillaw:

For me it would be all about the money. WoW is dirt cheap currently and if you already have it, £8.99 will give you a month of game time. On the flipside ESO will still set you back £30-£40 depending on deals for the same time frame.

If you are on the fence about ESO, like myself, you have to ask can you justify those losses if the game does turn out to be another SWTOR in a couple of months time?

I've spent a lot of money on MMO's. I've played all the big ones and the only one that I ever felt I got my money's worth from was WoW, so you are right, I am being cautious so it doesn't join my copies of LoTRO, Connan, Aeon, GW2, SWTOR, etc, etc.

monchis
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09

monchis to saillaw

Premium Member

to saillaw
said by saillaw:

said by IamGimli:

said by saillaw:

I'm actually looking for reasons to play it. There are so many bad reviews about it that I was hoping for a magical nugget of insight from one of you that would convince me it is not a foolish purchase. I want this game to be great and to succeed, but that desire cannot erase reality.

I think after reading the comments above, that it am simply going to wait another month or so before making a decision.

Is there anyone in this community that you have found to have similar taste?
Asteldian
united kingd

Asteldian to saillaw

to saillaw
Always hard trying to convince someone to play an MMO, the genre more than any other tends to have a very wide spectrum of players and tastes.

My MMO career includes EQ1 for many years

EQ2 on and off (game just didn't grip me)

Vanguard for a couple years (despite its glaring flaws, especially optimisation wise, the actual gameplay I still consider the best of all tab target, big hotbar MMO games)

DDO (barely really an MMO, but was entertaining with friends for a few months, without friends to play with I doubt I would have played more than a month at most)

LOTRO (reached the then max lvl of 50, but in honesty I struggled to do so, the game was ok, my issue was the classes and their skills were so beige, I never felt 'heroic' or powerful)

GW1 (again not exactly an MMO, but a good game nevertheless, I actually played this on and off for a year or so and enjoyed the expansions, helped that I played with the wife)

GW2 (I struggled to stay a month in that, really didn't do it for me, I found the gameplay very dull)

FFXIV (Fun game, I enjoyed it quite a bit, lasted probably 4 months on that, ultimately I wasn't that interested in the end game though)

Rift (playedthis from release until soon after the first expansion, so 18 months or so, had a lot of fun with this game, I started losing interest when hybrid builds stopped being very viable and instead you were being forced into 61 points in a soul)

So, that is my MMO history, while you didn't ask for it, I figured it may be the best way to let you se if my opinion on games is similar to yours.
With regards to ESO, it has its flaws, I would be lying or a fanboy if I said it didn't, however, I think the actual gameplay is a lot of fun, the combat and the many combination of skills you can use allow for a very varied and fun experience, when in tougher fights you soon find that just going through your rotation is not going to work and you actually need to pay attention and react in order to succeed.

The games flaws are mostly due to balance, optimisation and bugs, everything I expect from a new game and everything that can be fixed in time (although when it comes to balance, while the issues can be minimised, as with all MMOs it will be a constant flux). If core gameplay sucks, then a game has no hope - realsitically that won't be changed in a game no matter how long it is around, fortunately as said, I think the core gameplay mechanics are very good and make a solid foundation for everything to be built around.

The worst aspect of the game at the moment is grouping for general quests, if you have a friend to play with, you really only want to play the chars together, otherwise syncing becomes an issue. That said, it isn't impossible, my wife and I started to do everything together from about lvl 28 and I have 2 friends who have done the entire game together without issue. But it does take some effort and that is the big flaw, on the brightside the devs recognise this and have stated they are working on it.
If you have no one in particular to game with, then this won't be a problem for you at all - you only need groups for dungeons etc. and those work fine.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by Asteldian:

The worst aspect of the game at the moment is grouping for general quests, if you have a friend to play with, you really only want to play the chars together, otherwise syncing becomes an issue. That said, it isn't impossible, my wife and I started to do everything together from about lvl 28 and I have 2 friends who have done the entire game together without issue. But it does take some effort and that is the big flaw, on the brightside the devs recognise this and have stated they are working on it.
If you have no one in particular to game with, then this won't be a problem for you at all - you only need groups for dungeons etc. and those work fine.

Agreed!

The developers have said in their state of the game announcement that this is on the list to have fixed. Personally, this should have been done before release. Why release a game where its a pain to group with others in an MMORPG?

Uncle Paul
join:2003-02-04
USA

Uncle Paul

Personally I don't group that much. It's just a function of time. I like an MMO for the other players in the world, PvP, and economy.. but forced grouping has never really been my thing.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Uncle Paul:

Personally I don't group that much. It's just a function of time. I like an MMO for the other players in the world, PvP, and economy.. but forced grouping has never really been my thing.

I am the exact same way. I think ESO delivers big time to players like us, that want to be in a world populated by other players but not necessarily be forced to group to see a lot of the content. WoW-minded players who want to rush to max level to start the "endgame" may not find a lot to like here, at least at the moment. We should not group up sometime soon, Uncle Paul See Profile.
Chuck_IV
join:2003-11-18
Connecticut

Chuck_IV

said by TheBionic:

said by Uncle Paul:

I am the exact same way. I think ESO delivers big time to players like us, that want to be in a world populated by other players but not necessarily be forced to group to see a lot of the content. WoW-minded players who want to rush to max level to start the "endgame" may not find a lot to like here, at least at the moment. We should not group up sometime soon, Uncle Paul See Profile.

Agreed. Other than the one specific group built dungeon in each zone, I have been able to do everything without the need to specifically group.

Sure I play in groups, but we it's more of an assumed group where we all know why we are in a certain area and everyone ends up rolling together and helps everyone else.

The way this game is set up, helping others is a benefit to all. VERY few times have I seen someone stand by idlely and watch a person die.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to Koil

to Koil
said by Koil:

Kinda ballsy charging $20 bucks for the transfer. I'd think that should be fucking free since it's their fuckup.

Wow

They're not charging anything for the transfer. They are charging $20 for the console version of the game to anyone who's bought the PC version of the game, and those people get to transfer the character they created on the PC version as part of the deal.

...assuming anyone who's played the PC version will actually want to downgrade their experience to a console

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

Ahh...ok, didn't read that way to me, but I gotcha.
Asteldian
united kingd

Asteldian to Nightfall

to Nightfall
Ironically ESO can get away with a poor grouping mechanic more than most MMOs due to a lot of its fans being ESers and actually not caring much about it.
Then, on the hardcore MMO gamer side, they tend to just get to 50 asap and care little for grouping until end game, only reason they group is to farm xp, and as that involves no questing they are uneffected.

In fact, the only people effected are actually the minority (crazy in an MMO, right?!) which is just those with wife/partner they play with or a good friend, as a result it probably hasn't actually been the most pressing issue compared to other things. It's more of a case that it looks bad reputationally to be an MMO with poor grouping than actually having a big impact in game.

Cat5

Cat5 to shinjuru

to shinjuru
All quiet on the ESO front. Are people still playing it?

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to shinjuru

to shinjuru
Every day. Hit level 49 last night. Yes, I know that's slow leveling after having said I play it every day, but I play it extremely casually.

Anyone have any cool new addons they are using and want to share? I have one for you guys, Advanced Filters. Love this new addon I just started using a couple days ago. It add a sub menu to all your inventory screens for filtering everything. Extremely useful.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to shinjuru

MVM

to shinjuru
Same here, still playing and enjoying it. I am leveling a couple different characters since I like the way each of them are. One is a two handed sword paladin style character. The other is a sorcerer healer style character.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to Cat5

Premium Member

to Cat5
Every day here as well. I'm currently about halfway through veteran rank 2. It's a 3 day weekend this weekend so I'm hoping to get to play a lot in spite of yardwork, schoolwork, drunkwork and bbqing for a friend's graduation party. I can't wait until October when I graduate from grad school, I'm not going to know what to do with the free time. My game time is down to about an hour or so a night.

Cat5

Cat5 to shinjuru

to shinjuru
It's good your still all playing.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

Same here, still playing and enjoying it. I am leveling a couple different characters since I like the way each of them are. One is a two handed sword paladin style character. The other is a sorcerer healer style character.

At VR2 I hit 50 on both of my armor disciplines, light (5) and heavy (2), so I think I'm going to start to level medium armor in an attempt to bolster my stamina to help with werewolf leveling. If I do that I may level up and drop some points in dual weild or two handed as well. It's weird, my main is going to become my alt!

Any other MMO and my character build would be done, but here I've got two whole more factions full of skillpoints and skyshards to get. It's crazy. I'm sitting on 5 skillpoints right now because I just don't need to allocate them.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to shinjuru

to shinjuru
What triggers the opportunity to start on the other faction's areas? Is it hitting 50, or "beating" Cold Harbor?

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Raible:

What triggers the opportunity to start on the other faction's areas? Is it hitting 50, or "beating" Cold Harbor?

Finishing the main story allows you to go to the other factions.

Level-wise, you go from level 49 to VR1. When you hit VR1 you stop collecting traditional XP and start collecting 'veteran points', which is just xp for veterans but you have to be in a veteran zone to earn them. Which sucks if you're halfway through Coldharbour like I was when I got there. I couldn't bring myself to complete all the quests when I wasn't earning xp.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
What's everyone's consensus about the game, now that it's been out for a month or so?

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by Krisnatharok:

What's everyone's consensus about the game, now that it's been out for a month or so?

Personally, I enjoy it.

The storyline and quests are fun. I like the PVP but I wish there were smaller scale battlegrounds at times. It feels like a zergfest when there are two armies fighting each other. Yes, some aspects of the game were broken at first, but have since been corrected. I like what the devs have been doing after the first month.

I subbed for 3 months. I am eager to see what else they bring to the table.

Tinkster
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Rosedale, MD

Tinkster to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
I really like it. I don't feel so obligated like i did in WoW to play almost like a second job at times... The story line is enjoyable and quest are great not too tolling. I like the customization you can do with just about everything.