Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH

icedcorn

Premium Member

Usage Meter

Have you seen this?

»portal.metrocast.net/usagemeter/

1. It says I have 250GB but I'm an ultra subscriber, which I thought meant 350.
2. Either way I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Just thought it was interesting.
NetworkNH
join:2009-08-10
Northwood, NH

NetworkNH

I have, and called about it today as I am an Ultra subscriber as well. The tech informed me they are aware of the issue and are working with the vendor on a fix for it. In terms of accuracy, he said it was accurate, and that if they consistently see a subscriber going over the cap that it may result in a call from them.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium Member
Rochester, NH

1 edit

icedcorn

Premium Member

I have an ASUS wireless router. The ASUS has it's on traffic meter. It only goes in 30 day increments rather than month to month, but still the variance between what it says and what Metrocast says are huge.

I wonder if it is doubling/tripling the numbers with channel bonding because my ASUS router is showing 1/2 the traffic and everything goes through that.

The last 30 days on my ASUS say I'm under the 350GB cap. However, according to Metrocast, I'm close to 1TB of traffic, which is obscene for a residential user. I find that extremely hard to believe.

So I don't think it's accurate at all. Unless it's multiplying traffic when channels are bonded or something like that. I don't know anything about how that would work - can anyone else explain it...
icedcorn

icedcorn

Premium Member

Edit:
It does look like the month of January matches my ASUS router however. So that's better.
icedcorn

icedcorn

Premium Member

Also, the meter does show activity from last three months and I am beginning to wonder if those new consoles are really hogging resources....
avolation
join:2012-07-28
Starkville, MS

avolation to icedcorn

to icedcorn
It's wildly wrong. It says I used 27gb in December (when I know my computer alone used 380gb and the living room plays netflix a LARGE amount. Not to mention two other less used (but still used) computers in the house.

For January it still gives me a big fat 0 used.

billh491
join:2001-08-09
Portland, CT

billh491 to icedcorn

to icedcorn
Thanks for the link did not know this was live. It does show me having 250 cap on ultra. I have never gotten any warnings so not worried at this point.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium Member
Rochester, NH

icedcorn to avolation

Premium Member

to avolation
I wouldn't complain then
quantumred
join:2010-01-05
East Lyme, CT

quantumred to icedcorn

to icedcorn
I've been using a program to measure bandwidth usage for the last few years. The numbers posted on the Metrocast page for the last 3 months agree with my numbers within about 5%. Metrocast's numbers are actually 5% lower than mine, so I assume that is network overhead, or the way a gigabyte is calculated.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium Member
Rochester, NH

icedcorn

Premium Member

The moral of the story:
* Don't buy games during Steam's annual holiday sale.
* Don't backup to the cloud (carbonite)
* Don't buy any digital games on your Xbox One
* Don't stream anything.

There you go. Enjoy your internet!
quantumred
join:2010-01-05
East Lyme, CT

quantumred

Or you could convince Google to run their fiber service in your area (while you're at it, have them add all of CT).

Google Fiber to Metrocast Gamer comparison. Google is:
- 20x faster download
- 250x faster upload
- No data caps
- Same price

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium Member
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT

nelamvr6

Premium Member

Good luck with this! I'm sure Google is absolutely swamped with people urging them to bring their fiber to their town.