Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy to Shady Bimmer

Premium Member

to Shady Bimmer

Re: online banking, etc.

said by Shady Bimmer:

Many municipalities charge a "convenience fee" to use a credit or debit card, and do this because they leverage a third-party provider. You need to make the payment through that provider directly - such as via phone or internet. For instance, my local town tax receiver charges between $25 and $500 for the "convenience" of accepting payment from a third-party for those that wish to use credit cards. That party only accepts payments by phone.

Factually agreeable post

The C&C of Honolulu won't accept a credit/debit card when paying any bill in person or by mail.

"Satellite City Halls accept CASH or CHECKS ONLY"

If you're going to buy a bus pass:
Bus Pass sales are cash only.
»www1.honolulu.gov/csd/satellite/

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to Shady Bimmer

Premium Member

to Shady Bimmer
said by Shady Bimmer:

Further, I know many people that do all "electronic" banking similarly but are not aware that some of those payments are in fact done by paper check.

I'm fully aware that happens in some cases. Thankfully, I do not have to deal with any such vendors that don't have a means to accept ACH payments. My references were to personal checks (of which I don't even have any, I haven't used one in the last 5 or 6 years).
said by Shady Bimmer:

laws covering liability in credit vs debit or in practices that financial providers may offer above and beyond those laws.

I'm also well aware that the laws covering debit card liability are lax in comparison to those of credit cards. However, many financial institutions, including the one I use, go far beyond what the laws mandate and offer similar protections as that of a credit card. Even the alerts can be set to trigger making it very easy to monitor their use (I just used my debit card at an ATM in Shanghai, China and within a few seconds got a text message on my phone telling me that an ATM transaction was done at a site in China and that if this was not done by me to contact Wells Fargo security as soon as possible). I like that level of security. I get emails telling me of any purchases using my debit card online, as well, so I can take appropriate action in time.