spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jpa

join:2014-01-05

Upgrade Homefusion Antenna

Is it possible to replace the Homefusion antenna with a high gain alternative?

We had Homefusion installed yesterday, but I'm seeing downloads speeds between 3 Mbps and 10 Mbps. Our signal strength shows between three and four bars but the RSRP is around -94 and the SNR is around 4. These seem pretty low. I was hoping to use a parabolic or something to get the signal strength up a bit.

Thanks in advance!

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

The HomeFusion cantenna contains the radio and a sim. You can't swap it out.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

jpa

reply to jpa

Thanks for the info!

Are my signal levels low enough to be concerned about? Should I consider something like Millenicom instead with a higher gain antenna?

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA

1 recommendation

Millenicom is no contract and portable, which is great. You certainly can add a high gain antenna to it. Your HomeFusion RSRP is ok but that SINR is quite low.
--

jpa

reply to jpa

Are there any potential causes for the low SINR that I may be overlooking? If the signal strength is OK, I'm not sure what the source of the noise might be.

I've been watching the lights on the bottom of the antenna off and on, they flash from green to blue and back regularly, with the occasional red light as well. I'm not sure if I should consider moving the antenna, or if there is something else in the signal chain causing issues.

Vix

join:2001-12-30
Altamonte Springs, FL
reply to jpa

Just curious if anyone has successfully taken a HomeFusion cantenna apart and swapped the internal SIM card.

I just bought a HomeFusion system on eBay for 20 cents + shipping, and am curious as to whether my Millenicom SIM could be swapped to it. No big loss if my HomeFusion lobotomy fails, but it would be awesome if it were successful. Probably worth the price paid even if only for experimenting.

kevnich24

join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

Take the antenna apart and see if it contains a swappable Sim module. Another poster posted links to FCC pics of the guts and it looked like the antenna board contained an embedded,non replaceable Sim card.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
reply to Vix

was this it?

»www.ebay.com/itm/verizon-Homefus···2e1106e1

jpa

reply to jpa

said by jpa:

Are there any potential causes for the low SINR that I may be overlooking? If the signal strength is OK, I'm not sure what the source of the noise might be.

I've been watching the lights on the bottom of the antenna off and on, they flash from green to blue and back regularly, with the occasional red light as well. I'm not sure if I should consider moving the antenna, or if there is something else in the signal chain causing issues.

Thought I would bump this part to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA

turn the cantenna a few degrees left or right and see what you get
--

jpa

reply to jpa

said by Jim_in_VA:

turn the cantenna a few degrees left or right and see what you get

I've tried several different positions over the past couple days, but I haven't been able to tell much difference in any of them. The RSRP and SINR fluctuate a few db in all the positions, and none seems to be a steady improvement over the others.

Is it worth trying to get the cantenna above my roof peak?

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA

higher is better in the antenna world

verizonlteda

@myvzw.com

Not really, higher up for me gets worse and lower is better for me, so not always the case that higher is better.

Vix

join:2001-12-30
Altamonte Springs, FL
reply to compuguybna

Yeah. I'm hoping it's at the house when I (eventually) get there. Got sidetracked at the BCS national championship game, then had a heart attack and been stuck in the hospital until last night. Hoping I can play with it a bit this coming weekend.

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA

wow man, hope you're feeling better - don't push it
--

jpa

reply to jpa

said by Vix:

.....had a heart attack and been stuck in the hospital until last night.

Sorry to hear about that! hope you are recovering quickly!

Can anyone suggest an antenna mount that would raise my cantenna 5'-10' to get it over the peak of my roof? I prefer the mount that attaches to the fascia on the side of the roof rather than sitting on the shingles, I'm just not sure if such a thing exists with a 5'-10' pole or not.

jpa

reply to jpa

I'm still new around here, but hopefully bumping my own post is not frowned upon too greatly. I'm still looking for a good antenna mount for my HomeFusion cantenna. Any suggestions?

said by jpa:

Can anyone suggest an antenna mount that would raise my cantenna 5'-10' to get it over the peak of my roof? I prefer the mount that attaches to the fascia on the side of the roof rather than sitting on the shingles, I'm just not sure if such a thing exists with a 5'-10' pole or not.

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA

1 recommendation

this is what I've used in combination with a 10' section of galvanized pipe I got from Home Depot: »www.ebay.com/itm/like/221240492703?lpid=82
--

jpa

reply to jpa

Awesome, thanks for the info and the link!