All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5 to shinjuru

to shinjuru

Re: Elder Scrolls Online Doomed?

I've said it before and I'll no doubt say it again but subscription based MMO's cannot work in this current climate.

1. It puts casual gamers right off.
2. It puts WoW devotees off of trying it.
3. The game is left being played by mostly hardcore MMO gamers who proceed to bitch and whine about it being a WoW clone before leaving it for the next "big" MMO.

The result, as RIFT and SWTOR found out, is you have an near empty MMO, almost devoid of life, which has been labelled a failure by the media as it hasn't reached the impossible task of getting more subs than WoW, which puts yet more people off.

GW2 has the right idea. One price then pay to speed the end game up. Console players are happy with this setup, casual gamers are happy, and even WoW devotees will try it as there is no subscription. More players = better press = more players.
Chuck_IV
join:2003-11-18
Connecticut

Chuck_IV

said by Cat5:

GW2 has the right idea. One price then pay to speed the end game up. Console players are happy with this setup, casual gamers are happy, and even WoW devotees will try it as there is no subscription. More players = better press = more players.

That's the way LOTRO went and when they did, they initially tripled their income. I dunno where LOTRO is today in terms of profitability, but it's still gotta be good considering they just released another expansion. I have several friends who are playing it now with me. They started because it was F2P but have since spent money on points because they saw the advantages of it and one even decided to really jump in and buy the 4-Pak expansion pak for $20 and get a bunch of included points along with VIP status. If LOTRO was still a sub based game, none of them would have even bothered.

In this day and age, I think when you give people the OPTION to pay, they will, when the right time(s) come(s). Forcing them to maintain a sub to play is just not going to work well anymore.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to Cat5

MVM

to Cat5
said by Cat5:

The result, as RIFT and SWTOR found out, is you have an near empty MMO

Rift and SWTOR sucked badly. In order for a MMO to be successful with a subscription today, it has to have a lot of content and variety. Rift and SWTOR didn't have those things. They had a story and a limited endgame, which isn't enough.