Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

ImpldConsent

Premium Member

Short Distro Reviews

Don't expect some huge geeky set of reviews here - nope, just one guy's simple observations.

HARDWARE: 2006.5 HP Laptop; 1.86 Pentium M (32bit); 2GB RAM; 80GB 7200 (PATA/IDE); DVD-RW; IP2200 wireless BG; Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751M Gigabit wired; USB2; Hauppauge WinTV 950Q
=====================
Initial forays into Linux was prior to this laptop with RH(yxz) and Mandrake. Left all in favor of *doze and yet became frustrated again with the XPSP2 bloat. Went back to Linux again (yes, I still have PCs with W7Pro/64 and wife and kids have W8/64).
After running Fedora, Linux Mint 13 (Maya) and upgrading to LM15, then LM16, I became frustrated. Fedora is RPM based and I can't stand RPM. LM13 seemed fairly rock stable and this was similar with LM15. All applications either worked out of the box or with minor tweaks (example Skype). All distro's either came with or I installed LibreOffice, Chrome (or Chromium), Firefox, Thunderbird, Virtualbox (for dreaded *doze) and TVTime. Dabbled with other software, but those are my mainstay.

All distro's were installed via 'Live-USB' (hybrid ISO) - and I (personally) would not consider another distro unless it had this feature.

Linux Mint, in general, was fairly solid (offshoot of Debian-->Ubuntu-->Mint). DE was MATE on LM13 and it satisfied me. I went to Cinnamon on LM15 and the layout again was simple and effective. I rarely rebooted. This brought me to LM16. I'm not sure if it was the change in kernel (doubtful) or some weird other changes, but I would constantly freeze and have to do hard-resets. That was starting to irritate me, so I started looking around again. This distro is good for both beginner through advanced. Well done, but maybe some QA. 2yrs experience.

Debian 7.2 (KDE), wow, the KDE looks GREAT; however, a bit much for my dated hardware. I was surprised that there was no Software Manager and had to install Synaptic. There was quite a bit of configuration that I had to do that I was not used to and would not consider this as a 'Beginner' distro. Luckily, I had a decent knowledge of the CLI to make this work. All apps worked and the KDE, simply, is beautiful. Solid and rarely had to restart. 2months experience

Ubuntu 10.03 (no choice Unity). The install was weird - never been asked to create an online account (didn't) before. This thing totally overwhelmed my little laptop with the Dash feature. Although I understood the premise, it is and will be a different way of finding things. It is not intuitive to those used to a 'Bar->Apps' world. What I will say, is regardless of what I threw at it (webcams, secure card readers, WinTV), it did not balk. I never once had to restart (except a kernel update) or had to hard-power fail. Since Dash was killing me but I was very impressed with it being rock solid, I changed the desktop to xbuntu (ubuntu with Xfce) - perfect.

There are a gazillion distro's out there and I detest RedHat now. I'm willing to look at Fedora, but its still RPM based and not my favorite. I hear Zorin is a great replacement for Windows and is geared directly at beginners into Linux - to me - that's how to get an audience. I hear good things from PCLinuxOS as well - another beginner distro.
Given time and possibly some better marketing (ubuntu and Steam), these upcoming distros will see more and more audience.

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX

2 edits

rexbinary

Premium Member

Why do you dislike RPM? Also, why do you detest Red Hat?

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent

Premium Member

said by rexbinary:

I'd rather just keep my small little reviews to a non-debate, but I understand because I used such strong language on RPM and RHL. ... so ...

RPM: Maybe they fixed the packaging, doubt it - but I remember having to RPM every-single-dependency. With Synaptic or even apt-get, my dependencies are laid out for me. This is where the Debian based distro's excel, package management. IMHO, RPM is fail.

Red Hat: The wanna-be M$ of Linux (Canonical is getting close too). Proprietary locked and lost the flavor of open-source unless it suits them to lock what others created (kernel). I like the Fedora fork because they kept the open-source and free. Don't get me wrong, corporate loves RHL because of the locked crap (and pay for it too) whereby they can have that little secure feeling.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

yum (the command that handles RPM stuff in RHEL) handles those inter-dependencies. I don't think I've had to deal the kind of RPM hell you speak of since the 90's.

Red Hat is the wannabe corporate choice of Linux distributions. In a world where corporations want enterprise support, Red Hat is the choice in the U.S. I've discovered that this is less common in other parts of the world.

It's not about "locking" stuff out (because they don't). It's about testing packages that are more stable for a server environment and supplying those (even if a little back-leveled) through their software channels.

They don't advertise RHEL as the ideal choice for home users. They're aiming for the corporate world.

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
Plano, TX
·Frontier FiberOp..

rexbinary to ImpldConsent

Premium Member

to ImpldConsent
I was just curious more than looking for debate. If you don't like them, then you don't like them and there is PLENTY of Linux out there to like as you know.

I would like to point out though that personally I have never had a problem with RPM or apt-get for that matter. Also, RHEL is a fork of Fedora actually. Last thing, I also don't believe CentOS and Scientific Linux would be possible if anything in RHEL was locked or proprietary.

Thanks for the reviews!
pablo
MVM
join:2003-06-23

pablo to ImpldConsent

MVM

to ImpldConsent
said by ImpldConsent:

Debian 7.2 (KDE), wow, the KDE looks GREAT; however, a bit much for my dated hardware. I was surprised that there was no Software Manager and had to install Synaptic. There was quite a bit of configuration that I had to do that I was not used to and would not consider this as a 'Beginner' distro. Luckily, I had a decent knowledge of the CLI to make this work. All apps worked and the KDE, simply, is beautiful. Solid and rarely had to restart. 2months experience

You might add openSUSE to your list. There you'll get KDE and YaST (a GUI based software manager). If you rather go CLI, you can use zypper.

Cheers,
-pablo

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

2 recommendations

TuxRaiderPen2 to rexbinary

to rexbinary
said by rexbinary:

For the most part.... what ImpldConsent See Profile said is dead on!

RE: RPM - nightmare

apt-get and deb do it better any day, any time... and MOST ESPECIALLY in resolving dependencies.

If I go sudo apt-get install package-abc, it happens. yum is not so yummy.
said by Exodus:
yum (the command that handles RPM stuff in RHEL) handles those inter-dependencies. I don't think I've had to deal the kind of RPM hell you speak of since the 90's.
Not my experience and this from a recent install.. nothing but headaches with RPM..nothing but headaches... and all related to

DEPENDENCIES.
said by Exodus:
Red Hat is the wannabe corporate choice of Linux distributions. In a world where corporations want enterprise support, Red Hat is the choice in the U.S. I've discovered that this is less common in other parts of the world.
That may be true.. but in a corporation why are they looking for support? ? Or we are discussing some kind of different support... In my agency and personally.. Support = MY . . . J - O - B! Period... That is why we hire people who understand and speak *NIX/BSD etc.. and not winboot jockeys...
said by Exodus:
It's not about "locking" stuff out (because they don't). It's about testing packages that are more stable for a server environment and supplying those (even if a little back-leveled) through their software channels.
I am not sure where the original post was headed in re this area.. and as non user or RH... I am not going to go down this hole....
said by Exodus:
They don't advertise RHEL as the ideal choice for home users. They're aiming for the corporate world.
You got that right!! They made it perfectly clear that desktop Linux users, personal or corporate need not apply! I got the message loud and clear... BYE BYE RH!
said by rexbinary:
I was just curious more than looking for debate. If you don't like them, then you don't like them and there is PLENTY of Linux out there to like as you know.
Well I find that statement incorrect... all too many threads here lead to some form of cheerleading for RH by you and several others... when just about any other distro is just as capable if not more.

You betcha Skippy I cheerlead for any thing other than RH et al! I prefer KMint and/or Kubuntu.. neither of which has met my needs as exactly as I want... so I just use a highly customized version of KUbuntu... I've got just as much vitrol for some of the things that both Debian and Canocial do....so don't think they are getting off the hook.. Debian = DFSG, for one... and as for Canoncial too many things to list just one..

I for one don't want to give share to RH or is derivatives if I don't have to.. I am forced to do so with some servers due to the need for CPanel... which only works with CentOS.. I can never get any one to divulge why this is the case.. what is so special in CentOS v. Debian v. Debian based like *buntus that CPanel can not have a version.... We purged out any and all RH based distros internally, and if CPanel ever delivers on a Debian based version.. we will seek out providers using it and/or move to dedicated with same.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

I guess we're off to the Moon in this thread. I'm out.
Expand your moderator at work

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
Plano, TX

rexbinary to pablo

Premium Member

to pablo

Re: Short Distro Reviews

said by pablo:

You might add openSUSE to your list.

He dislikes RPM.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

3 recommendations

darcilicious to ImpldConsent

Premium Member

to ImpldConsent
My burning question is: when is the tall distro reviews going to be posted?

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to rexbinary

MVM

to rexbinary
SuSE uses RPM packages "behind the scenes" but manages package installation and software updates in a very userfriendly way (especially with regards to managing package dependencies).

SuSE also provides LiveCD/DVD and LiveUSB with install capability so based on everything posted so far may indeed be a suitable candidate for review by ImpldConsent See Profile.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to pablo

Mod

to pablo
said by pablo:

He doesn't like RPM.

I'm using opensuse 13.1, and have not had any problem with dependencies. For that matter, when I last tested Fedora (I think it was Fedora 18), I did not have any dependency woes. Still, opensuse does it better than Fedora (in my opinion).

Mint also seems pretty good. I last tried that with the MATE version. But perhaps I should use KDE if I try again (since I'm mainly a KDE person at present).

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
Plano, TX
·Frontier FiberOp..

rexbinary to leibold

Premium Member

to leibold
said by leibold:

SuSE uses RPM packages "behind the scenes" but manages package installation and software updates in a very userfriendly way (especially with regards to managing package dependencies).

SuSE also provides LiveCD/DVD and LiveUSB with install capability so based on everything posted so far may indeed be a suitable candidate for review by ImpldConsent See Profile.

Yes, I understand. My first linux was a boxed copy of SuSE Linux Professional 9.3. I'm just going by what the OP has stated.
pablo
MVM
join:2003-06-23

pablo to nwrickert

MVM

to nwrickert
said by nwrickert:

said by pablo:

He doesn't like RPM.

Ah ... oh well ... there ya go ...

Cheers,
-pablo
32207098 (banned)
join:2013-12-19
Anaheim, CA

32207098 (banned) to ImpldConsent

to ImpldConsent
Agreed PCLinuxOS is quite good for beginners, but the environment quality provided by Fedora is unbeatable. It is just so much customizable that one can do approximately anything. As if this wasn't enough, they also have spins for fedora. Fedora and Red Hat, in my opinion the everlasting Linux for us all.

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler

join:2001-01-24
38.2967 Lat

Jason to ImpldConsent

to ImpldConsent
I started with Red Hat, back in ~2000.. I liked it. The RHPM was okay, and as a noob, suited me well.

I lost touch with RH back when they forked to Fedora.

Linux.. Pretty much any distro, its like Cilantro.. I may love it, some others absolutely hate it. And you know what, Thats okay!

Keeping an open mind, works both ways.

Can we stick to more personal reviews, and less personal attacks?

Thank yous guys!

-Jason

dark_star
join:2003-11-14
Louisville

dark_star to rexbinary

to rexbinary
said by rexbinary:

Also, RHEL is a fork of Fedora actually.

Fedora is an off shoot of Red Hat. Red Hat was founded in 1993. Fedora came 10 years later, and the very name Fedora is a reference to the Red Hat fedora.

Pjr
Don't Panic
join:2005-12-11
UK

Pjr to TuxRaiderPen2

to TuxRaiderPen2
said by TuxRaiderPen2:

apt-get and deb do it better any day, any time... and MOST ESPECIALLY in resolving dependencies.

If I go sudo apt-get install package-abc, it happens. yum is not so yummy.

Hmmm, aptitude with apt-listbugs fell to bits the other day:
»us.generation-nt.com/ans ··· 592.html

It wouldn't do anything until I manually installed ruby1.9.1. The transition of ruby1.8 to 1.9 hasn't been very "yummy".

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

My burning question is: when is the tall distro reviews going to be posted?

Thank you! I L'dMAO on this response. I see I was a bit hasty on my title. What I like about threads like this (/self-smug-smile) is that there IS discussion. To make *nix distro's easier for the average mom-pop that does not have computer engineering degree or experience from ENIAC to Google's Quantum Artificial Intelligence Labs.

Glad we're not hitting the fan-boi responses.

shdesigns