Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
reply to me1212

Re: Elder Scrolls Online Doomed?

said by MacBridger:

That's my biggest disappointment, it's a WoW clone.

said by me1212:

I've heard it has an in game cash shop(but I cannot confirm myself since I've not played).

Let me first say that there are many people who haven't played the betas and know nothing about the game making predictions. I think that everyone should at least play the game first before assuming they know what the game plays like. The Microtransactions are much like WoW has now. Only cosmetic changes. Lots of rumors and haters are trying to link it as a play to win which is not the case, at least so far.

Now, as for this game being doomed, I really don't know what is going to happen. After playing the betas, I can say that I will sub to this game and buy it in the short term. Will I play it long term? I have no idea. I think the game has promise, but I don't know if it will have lasting appeal or not. I will be taking a chance on this game for sure though.

I believe that gamers will pay for a quality product with lots of content updates. Will ESO deliver on these promises? Time will tell. I will be in on the ground floor of this game for sure though. I am guardedly optimistic that this game will be a good one.

As for people complaining about the $15 a month cost, I really think that people should put it in perspective. If you pay for the game and play for a year, thats $225 (first month free). If you are playing the game 30 hours a month, thats 360 hours in the year. Thats a value gaming proposition when you look at the cost in relation to the hours spent. When I was playing WoW, I was in the game for more than 30 hours a month, but I digress.....

In the end, anyone predicting this game is going to be a hit or a miss at this stage is really just guessing.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state
Im not buying it, so it doesn't matter to me I don't have a horse in this race...its not a TES game to me because all the freedom that has made the TES is not in this game, it couldn't be, else it would have no game play balance at all...

Those who want to play this game, and pay for it. more power to you...its your money, and its a free country as far as I know, but I'll be surprised if this game can sustain the numbers with a subscription...its just hard now days to do that no matter what the genre...

They should have just had a one-time online fee like Borderlands, Homefront, etc, where you pay $10 dollars ONE TIME and you can play the online portion forever....If they would have done that, I probably would have picked up the game. however subscriptions are just being greedy plain and simple...and im not paying 15 dollars a month to play a game...no game is worthy buying and having to pay 15 dollars a month...least not for me....
--
Tech Tips

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

Let me first say that there are many people who haven't played the betas and know nothing about the game making predictions.

I'm not in the beta and haven't even seen a gameplay video, but I'm going to make a prediction. The same thing is going to happen this time that happens every time. It will come out of the gate like a shot, everyone will be playing it at first. A couple months later most people will have gotten their fill and moved on. It will then go F2P, and a core audience will keep it going for years. People (myself included) get excited when shiny new MMOs hit the market but tend to lose interest quickly.

said by Mike:

Why is DayZ going insane right now? Non-traditional open world mmo.

I think Mike See Profile hit the nail on the head here. We need something fundamentally different, not just different mechanics that get you to the same place as other MMOs. Day Z and Star Citizen are good starts.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

cat666

join:2013-04-26
I agree with bionicRod. History has proved that this is likely to be the case.

What needs to happen is the developers need to lure in players and keep them there. No offence to anyone here but you guys are not the sort of players ESO needs to attract, you're going to flit from one MMO to the next, all the while moaning about how it isn't as good as X or Y. The players they need to attract are the hardcore Skyrim players, the ones who will happily sink hour after hour into the game. The trouble is, the vast majority of Skyrim players are going to be adverse to a subscription based model, especially console gamers. You make them pay for new content via DLC and they are fine with it, but make them pay each and every month for something they think they should have access to for free (as they bought the initial game) and they will not be happy.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
reply to bionicRod
said by bionicRod:

Day Z and Star Citizen are good starts.

DayZ is in alpha, and is likely to be in alpha/beta for the next two years. Star Citizen has a hanger module out. These two games have potential, like ESO, but so far they are not even close to being contenders.

I wonder how successful Star Citizen and Day Z would be with a monthly price tag to play it with everyone in the same persistent universe. I don't consider a 40 man server to be persistent.

What would appeal to me is a Star Citizen with a full persistent universe like EvE online. I don't know how Chris Roberts is going to pull it off without charging monthly for the server, and I bet it will be more like Day Z.
--

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
said by Nightfall:

DayZ is in alpha, and is likely to be in alpha/beta for the next two years. Star Citizen has a hanger module out. These two games have potential, like ESO, but so far they are not even close to being contenders.

That's why I said they're a good start. They have a good idea, something people haven't seen a million times reskinned as star wars or elder scrolls. We'll have to see how they are finally implemented.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
said by bionicRod:

said by Nightfall:

That's why I said they're a good start. They have a good idea, something people haven't seen a million times reskinned as star wars or elder scrolls. We'll have to see how they are finally implemented.

True, just like ESO has a good idea. The combat system is very different. The crafting system is also very different. Which is why I go back to my point that people making predictions about a game should really know the game.

There are various people here calling ESO a WoW clone, which it most certainly is not. When I fired up the second beta, I was impressed with what I saw. I was anticipating a WoW clone, but what I got was entirely different in terms of a game. These changes could very well be what the gaming community wants to see.

The only question is, will the subscription model work for it or not?

I can tell you that I would be happy to pay $15 a month for a finalized DayZ game with a fully persistent universe. I would also be happy to pay the same amount for a Star Citizen in a fully persistent universe as well. There is a reason these games are going to have persistent universes on "40 man servers". With no monthly income coming in, will these games stand the test of time as well without content updates and such? Will they charge for expansions?

So many questions....
--

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to cat666
said by cat666:

You make them pay for new content via DLC and they are fine with it, but make them pay each and every month for something they think they should have access to for free (as they bought the initial game) and they will not be happy.

I am mostly averse to subscription-based models because I may go weeks at a time and not play that one particular game. Then it's just money coming out of my pocket for nothing. That grinds my gears hard.

Of course, if I'm not willing to (or can't) commit the time, then an MMO isn't really the right genre for me, which is why I don't play them. But this might be the problem others have with sub models.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -?lafr H?skuldsson