Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shelterdog

join:2014-01-06
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..

Changing how we watch TV - Data Cap Trap :(

We've been with Armstrong at least 20 years. They've been rock solid for quality and service. For the new year 2014, we decided to change our residential package. Canceled TV, upgraded to zoom pro and kept phone. Data cap went from 250 down to 200 GB per month, because we went from 3 to 2 services. Yikes! I downloaded the app for my smartphone to keep track of our usage. We had TV Plus, PVR and HBO, zoom and phone for 170/month. Our new package will be around $100/month.

We use 2 roku boxes, 2 computers plus our smartphones on wi-fi at home. We have Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. Wi-Fi router is new and secured. It makes me very nervous to go this route, but Armstrong's cable channels were so void of content that we were hardly watching them. We couldn't justify $22/month for the 'value' service' and chose to go with zoom pro for streaming instead. Streaming content is so good, but now, we have to watch our data usage. It will definitely change our TV habits, but for better or worse?

After I ordered the service, the rep transferred me to a tech for info on data usage. The answers to how much we'd use was vague and confusing at best. Our average daily data cap is 6.7 GBs a day. He only had info on Netflix- not hulu or amazon. So video streaming at high quality from Netflix via Roku will allow for 2.5 hours a day! Streaming at low quality would give us 9.5 hours. Streaming audio is something like .7 gigs, and beyond that, he lost me. This is insane.

That said, I understand the logic in saying if you want to stream, you pay, but to charge to go over a data cap is not the way to attract customers who are changing the way they watch TV. After years of agony with cell phone contracts, I went to Staight Talk unlmited for $48/month and it's fantastic. These companies are going to have to keep pace with what consumers want, or they will go by the wayside. I hope Medina gets some cable service competition, very soon!!

If anyone in the Medina area can recommend a reliable service that can offer what I described above with higher usage cap or unlimited data (!), please respond. We don't know which way to go. We've been reluctant to go to satellite TV for the
same reasons we hate cable packages. It always feels like we're getting fleeced

woo

@Level3.net
Didn't the price of your internet go up by $10 because you completely cancelled the TV service?

So basically, $10 more will give you 15 channels and the increased download limits by 50 GB. In addition, you can pre-pay for extra data usage. An additional $15 will boost your limits if you truly need it. I just went through a similar thing. Cut back to the $22 plan. Seems worth it to me.

GB Retail Pre-Paid
100 $20 $15
250 $50 $35
500 $100 $65

shelterdog

Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
You're right. We figured that out last night. So, I called Armstrong back today and switched back to what they call the TV economy package- local channels, etc.. The customer service rep checked our data usage and advised us to stay with zoom and upgrade to pro later if we felt we needed faster speeds. She explained how I could buy more data, as you recommended. I gave her a target price for our monthly bill, and she made every effort to meet it. So here's my experience with Armstrong:

1)Customer service was excellent. They worked with me to meet our budget for services and price. I wasn't pressured to spend more. In fact, the rep advised we try out what we ordered and change it later if we want- how many companies do that?!

2)At 250 GB (with 3 services) Armstrong's data cap is actually higher than some of the satellite and DSL packages I researched. I still feel kind of hamstrung, though, by having to buy 3 services in order to get more data.

3)The fact that there's no contract involved makes it easier to switch services, try them out, and change them over time. The rep's advice to see how things go before upgrading was refreshing. I'm satisfied.

...I'm going to miss that PVR.

said by woo :

Didn't the price of your internet go up by $10 because you completely cancelled the TV service?

So basically, $10 more will give you 15 channels and the increased download limits by 50 GB. In addition, you can pre-pay for extra data usage. An additional $15 will boost your limits if you truly need it. I just went through a similar thing. Cut back to the $22 plan. Seems worth it to me.

GB Retail Pre-Paid
100 $20 $15
250 $50 $35
500 $100 $65

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
·DIRECTV
The caps are crap.. It is there way of limiting the cord cutters because of the limited bandwidth for streaming.. but then making the money back when you need more Data.. Centurylink is no serious competition for them.. and they are losing TV people left and right due to prices and channel selection.. if Century link gets off it's ass and starts upgrading it's DSL or even going to fiber... armstrong will have to bend

shelterdog

Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
I want to watch TV and stream in HD. The channels I'll pay for in the value package are not HD, so yeah, I'm p.o.'d about that. Streaming with a data cap forces me to watch less, watch a low quality picture, or buy more gigs. But it doesn't make me like cable more.

Cable TV is to streaming what telephone modems are to DSL. Even though the customer rep was excellent at staying in our price range, I feel that once again, we're paying for a lot less than what we want.