All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to Acct101

to Acct101

Re: [Content] So does Comcast ever add channels?

GAC HD just launched in November, Bright House and RCN in some markets are the only providers that currently have it, but some Charter all-digital areas will be adding it soon.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Check out this story:

»www.deadline.com/2014/01 ··· ung-tvs/

Ironically it was tweeted by the SVP of Software Engineering. Here's the best statement:

Comcast Cable SVP Matt Strauss says that later this year the company’s X1 set top boxes “will deliver 4K UHD content to all 4K capable televisions.”

So, ONLY the X1 box will deliver 4K signals hmmm? I'd say this falls more into my IPTV theory yet again.

If this does come true, i'll be giddier than a school girl....
LoveHD
join:2011-07-31
Detroit, MI

LoveHD

said by SeattleMatt:

Check out this story:

It sounds like switched digital video will be necessary as an industry-wide way of being able to deliver all HD. I am not familiar with this; but after your last response to me I looked it up. Pretty straight-forward report I came across explaining that it has an effective means of using the bandwidth more discriminately and not exhausting capacity.

Given that Comcast ranks as the top cable provider, it sounds like the company should have been leading the way of this. Obviously that wasn't the case.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

So, ONLY the X1 box will deliver 4K signals hmmm? I'd say this falls more into my IPTV theory yet again.

Sure does seem to lend weight to it
SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 to LoveHD

Premium Member

to LoveHD
said by LoveHD:

said by SeattleMatt:

Check out this story:

It sounds like switched digital video will be necessary as an industry-wide way of being able to deliver all HD. I am not familiar with this; but after your last response to me I looked it up. Pretty straight-forward report I came across explaining that it has an effective means of using the bandwidth more discriminately and not exhausting capacity.

Given that Comcast ranks as the top cable provider, it sounds like the company should have been leading the way of this. Obviously that wasn't the case.

SDV is actually more a stop-gap solution before going totally IP based. It's been hypothesized that Comcast is effectively going to skip over the partial solution that SDV offers and move to total IP slowly thanks to the IP native foundation of the X1 platform.