spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rgl

@comcast.net

[Equip] My DOCSIS 1.1 modem is still working

They sent me a letter. "Replace your old modem, it won't work after December 2, 2013." I didn't replace it.

They sent me another letter. "Hey, you still haven't replaced your old modem, it won't work after December 2, 2013." I didn't replace it.

Then they injected pop-up messages in my browser, saying the same thing.

Then they sent me a new modem, although I didn't ask for one. By FTC rules, I could have kept that "unordered merchandise" as a free gift, but I turned it in.

December 2, 2013 has come and gone. It's January 6, 2014, and my old 1.1 modem works just fine.

I wonder how many people Comcast conned into renting a new modem, or buying one?

iNick
Premium
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL
you need to or should upgrade just for the more downstream and upstream channels & ect.... what internet plan are you on?

BenLowers

@bellsouth.net
reply to rgl
Is this all related to a Central Site "upgrade" that caused East Cobb Internet to drop, and TV to go spotty during the 6-Jan-2014 AU-FSU game?

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to rgl
If you rent the modem, why would you be so against giving it back to them and upgrading to a newer modem? While I get the whole "if it is not broke don't fix it" thing, it still makes me wonder why people would hang onto an old modem.

Now, if it is your own, then I can see that it may be hard to replace it if you don't have the money to do so.

The other thing is that if you are renting, and you don't require a gateway device, you may not want to replace it as you will probably end up with a gateway device.

Outside of those reasons, why would you not upgrade to a newer one? Just to see how long it will work?

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to rgl
Congrats, odds are it's people like you that cause them to delay plans about upgrading the system which would require disabling support for older devices.

They sent out the notice so people like yourself would upgrade and then once that's done they could remove outdated equipment and upgrade the whole network with newer D3 control applets. Obviously they checked their network and saw lots (too many) still have the older device so they'll need to postpone. Having tons of pissed off customers is never a good thing, not to stock holders and not to your market image.
Expand your moderator at work

rgl

@comcast.net
reply to rgl

Re: [Equip] My DOCSIS 1.1 modem is still working

I'm on the Economy Plus tier. A new modem won't do anything for me. I own my modem. I'm going to get every last penny out of it.

Look, they lied. They said it would not work after December 2nd.

It's con game they got going on. How many people did they trick? How much money are they making from this scam?

iNick
Premium
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

while you would be right to go on and use it but it not a good idea when you can actually get more outta a better modem for $60 or so dollars.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

6 recommendations

reply to rgl
said by rgl :

They didn't lie. Its no longer supported and when your Internet stops working one night, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1
You beat me to it!

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to AVonGauss
said by AVonGauss:

said by rgl :

They didn't lie. Its no longer supported and when your Internet stops working one night, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Exactly! Dont come on here crying and complaining about Comcast suddenly cutting you off! They gave you plenty of warning and even sent you a new modem!
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

System
reply to rgl
This topic has been closed. Reason: run its course

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

Continuing as long as it stays civil and non-repetitive

This topic has been closed. Reason: run its course

The topic was closed because the responses were getting rather rude. OP wants it open, so it is open again. From this point on, everyone keep your comments civil. Also, please read the topic before posting. Please don't repeat what has been stated already.
--
Join Team Helix

rgl

@comcast.net
Well, my modem was just disconnected!

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
said by rgl :

Send me a PM and I am happy to assist if you like - or just provide retail modem recommendations.
--
JL
Comcast

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to rgl
rgl, may I suggest you register on this site. A regular account is free. While you have a wait period after registering before you can send an instant (private) message, if you post again with your registered account and let us know you are registered, one of us can put you in contact with jlivingood See Profile. You just can't beat that.

»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »Comcast Employees Authorized to Represent Comcast on BBR

--
Join Team Helix

stardustr8

@ccc.de

2 recommendations

reply to rgl

said by rgl :

I'm on the Economy Plus tier. A new modem won't do anything for me. I own my modem. I'm going to get every last penny out of it.

Wouldn't it be negative if they cut you off BEFORE Dec 2? So isn't it actually ****nice**** that you got more time and didn't need to buy a new modem or lose service over the holidaze? That seems like a good thing.

said by rgl :

It's con game they got going on. How many people did they trick? How much money are they making from this scam?

Dude, really? How bout none? You aren't paying them for a modem, right? What's their angle?

flwpwr

@comcast.net

1 recommendation

reply to rgl

Tech wise they are probably going to be forcing IPv6 connections and dropping QAM 16 carriers for additional space to put in QAM 64 carriers [not at the same time I hope but one of the other may be the killer for your modem]. these are 2 things that a lot of old D1.1 modems will not support, now some modems may be D2, and still support IPv6 they should be fine, but the real hold up is probably BCS subs still using 8013's and once that is done with they will drop you, you have been warned, hold out as long as you wish to, but its coming.

what model modem do you have?

kungFUchimp

join:2013-09-18
Philadelphia, PA
reply to rgl

Re: Continuing as long as it stays civil and non-repetitive

Should have laid low.

dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA
reply to rgl

I hope OP didnt go out and get DOCSIS 2.0 modem just to despite Comcast 0.o

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by dragonman300:

I hope OP didnt go out and get DOCSIS 2.0 modem just to despite Comcast 0.o

If he did, he'll only be back in this same situation soon. I'd give him less then 6 months. For his stated speed, a Motorola SB6121 would do him well potentially until the D3.1 spec is completely seeded in the network, another 2-4 years at least.

rgl

@comcast.net
reply to rgl

Re: Continuing as long as it stays civil and non-repetitive

said by rgl :

That's not me. I'm the OP, the real rgl. My old modem is still working fine.

But how can I believe anything Comcast says?

Anon_Icon

@comcast.net

1 recommendation

said by rgl :

said by rgl :

That's not me. I'm the OP, the real rgl. My old modem is still working fine.

But how can I believe anything Comcast says?

That's interesting. According to this site's owner, if the anon icon in a given thread matches, then the post came from the same IP address. That is supposed to keep fake anon posts from happening, but the fake post seems to have the same icon as the rest of your posts in this thread (at least it does on my monitor).

Perhaps you should start a thread in the »Feedback forum to let the site owner know that feature is not working properly.

As for disbelieving Comcast on the matter of their plan to ban DOCSIS 1x modems from their network; believe anything you wish (but prepare to be shocked when your DOCSIS 1.x modem does indeed stop working on Comcast's network at some point in the near future).

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to rgl
While I am inclined to believe you, rgl, may I again suggest you register for an account here. Doing so would end the controversy, which is pretty much off topic, anyway. Again, a regular account is free.
--
Join Team Helix

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to Anon_Icon
Depending on where the OP is from - if it's from the Philly region (where I am) - we are still sitting on that 3rd D1 QAM16 upstream channel a month after the supposed "deadline".

Part of me isn't surprised since there's probably a ton of customers in this area that don't care - unlike you see all the tech savvy areas out in CA have been on 3 QAM64 channels for almost a year.

Frankly I wish they'd get on it and switch the Philly region over.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
said by JeepMatt:

Depending on where the OP is from - if it's from the Philly region (where I am) - we are still sitting on that 3rd D1 QAM16 upstream channel a month after the supposed "deadline".

Same here in Monmouth County, NJ - my modem is still bonding to a 16QAM "DOCSIS1.X" upstream carrier located at 22.0 MHz.

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

3 recommendations

reply to JeepMatt
I say just switch the darn things, if people scream and complain, they've been warned... multiple times... do it and see who crawls out of the woodwork complaining...