All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

SeCreTEnDinG
@38.110.98.x

SeCreTEnDinG

Anon

Smart rg SR505N - How in the world do I open ports?!

A few weeks ago I finally got the top DSL package with VMedia from Toronto, Ontario which is a huge upgrade in everything compared to Cogeco here in Burlington.

VMedia is a great company so far in terms of getting back to me, but has no support when it comes to opening ports apparently. =|

So now I'm here!

Been screwing around with this damn modem the last few days. On cable, I had no issues with ports - just opened them up on my router, and away we went. This Smartrg SR505N is a pain in the butt.

So far I've tried this:

- Going into Advanced Setup -> Nat -> Virtual Servers -> I set up a new option for the ports:
Selected 'Custom Service' and typed in RiskOfRain (the game I'm try to run on my server), and figured that the missing digit for 'Server IP Address' is the address of the computer. The default ports for Risk of Rain is 11100, but I changed it to 5320. Put that number into the External Port Start, External Port End, selected the TCP/UDP protocol, and the Internal Port Start and End were auto filled in with 5320.

Now I would have thought that worked, but going into the game, it says that the port is still closed. Running a port checker from »www.yougetsignal.com/too ··· n-ports/ shows that all my ports are closed except for 21, 22, 23 and 80. If I bridge the modem to the router (which is a Cisco that I've had no problems with) only 80 is open. I did set the modem up as a DMZ Host as well to try that, no luck.

- All firewalls are shut off on the modem.

- Didn't seem to have any luck with Port Triggering either. Tried the same as above.

I took the router out of the connection for now. Figure soon as the modem is corrected, the router will be a piece of cake.

Does anyone know how to do an easy step by step process to open my ports up?
I'm running Windows 7, SmartRG SR505N modem. Hooked straight up to my desktop. I've shut off Windows Firewall just to make sure nothing funky was happening, and no luck there.

Thanks everyone.
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns

Premium Member

cable is different than DSL (in my experience).

if you only had a cable modem and your own router, the cable just acts as the gateway to the internet for you. the router handles everything else, which is why opening ports was not a problem when you had cable.

if you have a cable modem/router combo, calling the cable company and asking them to put it into bridge mode is very quick and easy, this disables the cable router allowing you to use your own.

now comes the fun part....not really....DSL.

first off, when you use their router, are you confirming the IP of your computer? you are right in assuming that the server IP is the IP of your computer, but depending on brand and DHCP range, your computer has a new IP now that it is on the DSL router. if you statically set your IP on your computer, obviously you are using the right IP, but you didn't state that, so i will assume no.

step 1 is making sure you can see that the port is open with that link you provided, i would do that before i tried testing it through the game.

you might have to have this topic moved to a more specific section.

i can tell you with uverse equipment (not DSL, but runs over the phone lines) i was able to configure a uverse modem/router to act as if it is in bridge mode so that i could use the same router that was in use with a bridge DSL connection. the DSL connection that was working before uverse was installed was able to go into bridge mode, but the uverse equipment cant be put into bridge mode.

what i would do if i were in your shoes:

step 1- see if your hardware can be put into bridge mode so that you can use your own router

step 2- see if your router can be configured to act as if it is in bridge mode

step 3- figure out why it isn't working with the current DSL setup (assuming you want to keep using your router as the main router)

SeCreTEnDInG
@38.110.98.x

SeCreTEnDInG

Anon

Yep, it is different.

I did contact my cable company about giving me a hand, but they emailed me back and said they haven't been trained in bridging or opening the ports. Useless! I found out how to bridge it on my own, but ended up connecting the modem/router to my computer without the Cisco to take a part out of the problems.

From running ipconfig, I use the IPv4 address listed. And yep, the server IP is that of my computer. (I'll be buying another computer after I fix this issue to use as an actual server.)
The IP isn't static, but I've been double checking it every time I've worked on this modem issue.

When I bridged the Smart RG to the Cisco, the only options I could modify are on the Smart RG router. The Cisco said that all options are disabled while bridged.

I don't need to use the Cisco at all, so I'm just going to focus on trying to open the ports on the Smart RG now.