Furrever Fur
Premium
join:2012-02-20
united state
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

[E-mail] Compatible email client for Comcast

I'm looking for suggestions for an email client that will work with Comcast's webmail. I want to be able to download the messages to my desktop; NOT any of the "cloud" or "live" stuff.

Currently have (don't laugh) Vista Home Premium x64 with my beloved WindowsMail that I really like (the mail program, not necessarily Vista, lol). ALSO -- looking for a client that will readily import the .eml messages.

FWIW, there *used* to be webpages that gave instructions on dabbling with the registry to allow WindowsMail (not the live sort) to work with Windows7, but it seems Microsoft shut those down.

Any suggestions, please?

train_wreck

join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

always been a fan of thunderbird, made by the mozilla folks. imports eml definitely (and saves out to it), and idk if POP3 is available with comcast mail (don't use it) but thunderbird definitely supports it, and using it means you're downloading all your mail to your computer

Furrever Fur
Premium
united state

Oooh, thanks ! Errrm, not exacting knowing what POP3 is (or isn't), why is it not recommended?

Will definitely see about downloading TB now .

train_wreck

join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

lol i wasn't saying "don't use it" meaning "don't use POP3".... i was meaning that i don't use comcast's mail services, so i'm not sure whether they support POP3 or not.

POP3 is the latest version of the POP standard for allowing users to view/download their email from mail servers... nothing particularly wrong with it, it just downloads all your mail/address book to your computer locally, as opposed to IMAP, which accomplishes the same thing (lets you login to & view your emails/contacts) but instead of downloading it to your computer, the mail/contacts stay on the mail server and are never downloaded to your machine unless you specify.

there's more to it than that, but this was long-winded enough

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Furrever Fur

I 2nd the recommendation to use Thunderbird. I've been using it for over 5 years now, and I love it.

Comcast does support POP3, as that is how I have it set up for my mother. Her primary e-mail address is the one from Comcast, and it works without any issues. All of her e-mail and address book is local on her computer.

The downside to using POP3, and not storing your e-mail on the server is that if you are away from your desktop, and sign into your Comcast account somewhere else, you won't see your "old" mail, as it won't be on the server anymore, as you have downloaded it all to your local system. Another example along the same lines is that if you use multiple systems (desktop, laptop, and tablet) to access your e-mail, and you want all of your e-mail on all three devices. I don't think POP3 will allow you to do that (at least without some special configurations).

But, if all you have is one computer (desktop or laptop), don't need to access your old e-mail away from home(without taking your one system with you), and want to make sure that you control how you backup your sent/received mail, then POP3 is for you.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA
kudos:1

You should have the option in the (PC) email program to leave the messages on the server for X days - or Forever - Check your settings

Outlook has always worked for me. and it has that option as well

Furrever Fur
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to plencnerb

POP3 question (sorry to be ignorant): Yes, I just have the one desktop but want to be able to download and save messages so does that mean with POP3, I would NOT be able to save the messages on the CC server after downloading them? I have that with the Vista WinMail now.

Ughhh, have had a couple issues with secondary CC email accounts somehow deleting messages --- despite choosing the "never delete" setting.

Oh, and do y'all know if the .eml messages could be imported into Outlook if I were to pop (no pun) for buying it?
Thanks muchly.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
reply to Furrever Fur

Thiunderbird.

Master Wolfe

join:2009-04-04
Panama City Beach, FL
reply to Furrever Fur

Click for full size
I have Office 2007 and use Outlook. I THINK you can import mail from Windows Mail.
--
Knirps for moisture.

alalper
Premium
join:2000-08-20
Philadelphia, PA
reply to Furrever Fur

I am using Thunderbird and I leave the mail on the server. I pick up mail with my desktop, my laptop, my smart phone, and sometimes, my tablet.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
reply to Furrever Fur

said by Furrever Fur:

I just have the one desktop but want to be able to download and save messages so does that mean with POP3, I would NOT be able to save the messages on the CC server after downloading them?

It's completely up to you. I use Thunderbird on my desktop machine to be the master. That is, whenever I download messages I have the box checked to delete messages on the Comcast server. I also access my email using several other clients. Those clients are configured to leave the email on the server until I get to my desktop machine and download them from there.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by travelguy:

said by Furrever Fur:

I just have the one desktop but want to be able to download and save messages so does that mean with POP3, I would NOT be able to save the messages on the CC server after downloading them?

It's completely up to you. I use Thunderbird on my desktop machine to be the master. That is, whenever I download messages I have the box checked to delete messages on the Comcast server. I also access my email using several other clients. Those clients are configured to leave the email on the server until I get to my desktop machine and download them from there.

That's exactly what I do. Works out pretty well.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to train_wreck

said by train_wreck:

... as opposed to IMAP, which accomplishes the same thing (lets you login to & view your emails/contacts) but instead of downloading it to your computer, the mail/contacts stay on the mail server and are never downloaded to your machine unless you specify.

Actually, the only way that you can read IMAP email is when it is downloaded to your computer. IMAP is not read from the server. Ways IMAP differs from POP3:

• POP3 only downloads the Inbox; IMAP downloads all subscribed folders.
• POP3 normally deletes email from the server after download; IMAP does not delete email unless the user specifies.
• IMAP synchronizes local folders with the server.

The last surprises folks more familiar with the way POP3 works. When you delete email from any local computer, it is deleted from the server; and, thus, not available from any computer at the next login.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

earletp

join:2004-02-03
PDX
reply to Furrever Fur

Maybe I misunderstood, but if you like Windows Mail that you're using now, why not use that. With that you would never even need to use Comcast's webmail system.

You can choose to download the message and remove it from Comcast's severs, or download the message and keep a copy on their servers for access from another location.
That setting is global though (all or nothing), and not on a per message basis.

Here's Comcast's page with the setup instructions.
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···y-email/

Furrever Fur
Premium
united state

I need to replace my PC and Vista is no longer available (mine preinstalled). Hence, no WinMail via Vista. Now if anyone knows of a LEGITIMATE (aka legal) source to buy Vista, please PM me.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by Furrever Fur:

I need to replace my PC and Vista is no longer available (mine preinstalled). Hence, no WinMail via Vista. Now if anyone knows of a LEGITIMATE (aka legal) source to buy Vista, please PM me.

I don't think that such a place exists at this time. Windows 7 is the successor to Windows Vista.

If you really liked Windows Mail, the successor from Microsoft is Windows Live Mail, which is a component of Windows Live Essentials, which is free to download from Microsoft. Or use Mozilla Thunderbird. Either is as good as Windows Mail. Either offers the choice between POP3 and IMAP.

Windows Live Mail

Mozilla Thunderbird

I did some filling for the Mozilla Thunderbird example; but these images are meant to show what tha clients can do. If you require the details, the secure ports would be:

IMAP: 993 w/SSL
POP3: 995 w/SSL
SMTP: 465 w/SSL
--
Norman

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

POP3 normally deletes email from the server after download; IMAP does not delete email unless the user specifies

I see this statement a lot, but never understood it. Every email client I've ever used had provisions for keeping mail on the server when setting up an account using POP3. The client default may be to delete after download, but the protocol certainly supports leaving it on the server.

Furrever Fur
Premium
united state
reply to NormanS

Thanks for the additional info !! (Eeeek -- that screeching sound was me ... I want zero/zip/nada to do with Microsoft's "live" anything. I like MS but not that 'live' stuff.)

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to travelguy

said by travelguy:

said by NormanS:

POP3 normally deletes email from the server after download; IMAP does not delete email unless the user specifies

I see this statement a lot, but never understood it. Every email client I've ever used had provisions for keeping mail on the server when setting up an account using POP3. The client default may be to delete after download, but the protocol certainly supports leaving it on the server.

Nevertheless, the user must normally override the default; or at least in the past. Windows Live Mail is the first client I have encountered which defaults to leaving mail on the POP3 server.
--
Norman

Live_Mail

@comcast.net
reply to Furrever Fur

said by Furrever Fur:

(Eeeek -- that screeching sound was me ... I want zero/zip/nada to do with Microsoft's "live" anything. I like MS but not that 'live' stuff.)

You can install the Windows Live email client without activating or using any of the other "Live" components. I don't use it myself (I prefer a platform independent product, such as the Mozilla Thunderbird already discussed since I have both Windows and Linux boxes). But I have setup Windows Live Mail for a number of clients who migrated to Windows 7, and it is strictly a local email client if that is how you set it up (clear skies...no MS clouds anywhere in sight).

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Furrever Fur

said by Furrever Fur:

Thanks for the additional info !! (Eeeek -- that screeching sound was me ... I want zero/zip/nada to do with Microsoft's "live" anything. I like MS but not that 'live' stuff.)

Windows Live Mail can be configured as a stand alone client; no login to "Live Services" is required.

I don't know how before the fact; but the this screen shot shows how to change the behavior after the fact.

No

--
Norman