SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

[Green Tech] GE energy smart® Bright from the Start® Good or Bad?

This lamp comes on bright. Warms up and switches to a standard CFL drive. The annoying part is that it dims for a second when switch. A combination of OCD and too many years in electronics makes it annoy me.

About 3 seconds into the video
EDIT: the videos been cut. In a 50 degree basement, the dimming occurs in about 35 secs from turn on. After that, it takes another 5 sec to get to where it was in brightness.

downloadGE-CFL.wmv 2706255 bytes

»www.gelighting.com/LightingWeb/n···e-start/
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
This is hardly an improvement over the slow starting of a CFL. Does it make an audible "click" when it changes over?

join:2013-07-08
MA
said by pike:

This is hardly an improvement over the slow starting of a CFL. Does it make an audible "click" when it changes over?

How is it 'hardly an improvement'? It's clearly a significant improvement.

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to pike
said by pike:

No, it's just a change in brightness for a couple of seconds. Since we're in the low temps and high winds, I thought it the power the first couple of times.
--

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to SparkChaser
Those look like they would be quite expensive compared to a regular CFL, are they? If so, what is the advantage of using them over and LED bulb?

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to SparkChaser
I had them in my living room lamps for awhile. I did like that they lit the room as soon as I flipped the switch, but the dimming bugged me EVERY single time. It feels like a quick brown out. I thought it was just me being a little OCD, but every guest to the house commented on it.

They might be worth using for stairs or something like that, where you NEED that bright light right away. But for a general living environment, they are just too annoying.

I have since replaced them with these:
»www.menards.com/main/led/feit-32···6341.htm
The lower power versions are cheaper. The color is great, they strike instantly, and they dim perfectly.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to SparkChaser
I have the bulbs, they are okay. The length of the halogen running is determined by temperature of the bulb. If the was just on, it takes about 2-3 seconds for it to go into CFL mode. If its cold, its about 40 seconds.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to SparkChaser
Gimmick. Already made obsolete by LED.

MA
said by nunya:

Gimmick. Already made obsolete by LED.

Not obsolete by LED's! Different price points. You can get 2 of these bulbs for the price of 1 LED equivalent bulb. Two of those hybrid 60w lights for $7.97 vs. $7.97 for one 60w led here.

said by Msradell:

Those look like they would be quite expensive compared to a regular CFL, are they? If so, what is the advantage of using them over and LED bulb?

See above. They are half the cost of LED so that's the advantage.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO

5 recommendations

I'll just pay $4 more and get a light that doesn't blink. Thanks.

MA
said by nunya:

I'll just pay $4 more and get a light that doesn't blink. Thanks.

Me too but paying 50% more is hardly going to obsolete it. All you need to do is say "I was wrong". It's not that hard. :P

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Msradell
said by Msradell:

HD had them at 2 for $9. The reason I got them is that I've been looking at different lamps and I hadn't seen these before.
--

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to patcat88
said by patcat88:

I have the bulbs, they are okay. The length of the halogen running is determined by temperature of the bulb. If the was just on, it takes about 2-3 seconds for it to go into CFL mode. If its cold, its about 40 seconds.

That's a good point. I was operating in the basement at the lower temp. You can see the PF change from .97 to .62 when it goes to the CFL.
--

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to SparkChaser
I've never really had a real life impact of the warm up of a CFL. They are bright enough when they turn on to see comfortably in pitch dark. I may not be able to read a book the second I flip the switch but by the time I am situated everything is ok.

For me personally it's a bunch of FUD. Now on the other hand the hybrid light of the op, that would drive me crazy. I totally wouldn't even buy one.
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
~Benjamin Franklin

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
said by hitachi369:

I've never really had a real life impact of the warm up of a CFL

The degree of light during warm up seems to vary greatly from one model/brand to another. The models the builder put in my office flood cans initially struck like a night light, then slowly warmed up to full brightness in about 2 minutes. The kitchen had the exact same fixtures, and same wattage CFLs, but they were a different brand. They still required time to warm up all the way, but the initial strike was adequate to see and use the room.

Sorry I can't post the exact models, they have all been replaced with dim-able LEDs.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to 02778712
I wasn't wrong at all. It's a silly product that is already obsolete. CFL was a stopgap technology the performed poorly in almost every subject. It's putting lipstick on a pig.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

MA
said by nunya:

I wasn't wrong at all. It's a silly product that is already obsolete. CFL was a stopgap technology the performed poorly in almost every subject. It's putting lipstick on a pig.

If that helps you sleep better at night rock on. I'm just glad it's amusing as #$^&.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to Camelot One
Damn, and every CFL I've had has hit full brightness fairly quick. Less than a minute.

Now that I think about it, I don't even notice the difference with the ones in my living room.

I actually like the warm-up effect of CFLs though. >.>
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
said by sivran:

I actually like the warm-up effect of CFLs though

Many people do and many home automation systems actually have a special feature that will allow you to set lights so they come on gradually instead of flashing on all at once. A feature that's already built into CFL's.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SparkChaser
I bought a couple a while back, just looking specifically for CFL to give "enough" light; didn't pay that much attention to what it actually was other than "bright from the start" (no warm-up). Only after I started using them and noticed how different they worked did I research them: halogen at start up along with the CFL until the CFL reaches "full" [enough] brightness. My first reaction to the info: that's weird, why bother--the initial minute of full brightness isn't that important [to me]. However, I like the way they work; the light itself (color/warmth/whatever you call it) is very pleasant and not "harsh". The drop-out of the halogen after about 45 seconds is expected and doesn't bother me at all, and it still gets a little brighter after that. If they actually last as long GE says they will, then they're well worth the price**. They're quiet--don't "buzz" (like some of the LEDs I have). I'll be happy to get them again the next time I need "bulbs".

**I just wonder if 7 years @ 3 hours/day equates to 21 years @ 1 hour/day. Usage and math don't always give the same result when it comes to electronics, and these lights have quite a bit of electronics in them.

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SparkChaser
FYI

Measured the output with a lux meter. Don't hold the values to be accurate lux values but the relationship is correct.

@52 F ambient

turn on = 100
at 30 sec ~ 140
switches and drops back to 80
slowly rises to 150 after 50 sec from switching.
--

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to Msradell
Yay! I'm not alone!

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to 02778712
said by 02778712:

All you need to do is say "I was wrong".

Ok you're wrong, and yes that was easy.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
reply to 02778712
said by 02778712:

Let's see what the prices are in a couple years. And let's see if these hybrids are even around in 10 years. I suspect, as has been said, it's a stop gap and not much more. LED is the future, even if some people don't want to admit it. Remember when a 40w LED bulb would cost you $40 a couple years ago?

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
Just using my local HD as a reference, LED's have gone from a very small niche to about 1/3 of the lighting section. They'll keep growing as costs continue to drop fairly quickly and take over from CFL's.

I have a few LED's now, and other than cost, I don't see any advantages to CFL's over LED's. Any new bulbs I've bought for my home over the last year have been LED. The Philips ones at HD still have reliability issues, two have flickered out on me (out of about 10), so that's something they need to work on. HD exchanged them, but it's still a pain to go back.

These hybrids won't last as LED's drop in price.

MA
reply to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

said by 02778712:

Let's see what the prices are in a couple years. And let's see if these hybrids are even around in 10 years. I suspect, as has been said, it's a stop gap and not much more. LED is the future, even if some people don't want to admit it. Remember when a 40w LED bulb would cost you $40 a couple years ago?

I'm sure it's a stopgap solution but people didn't say that. They said "already obsolete". Those poor fools wanted to play Custer so they deserve what they got.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to SparkChaser
I guess brownout will become an obsolete term, CFLs and LEDs I doubt will even initiate once voltage falls too far.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Kearnstd:

I guess brownout will become an obsolete term, CFLs and LEDs I doubt will even initiate once voltage falls too far.

I can't speak for all of them but the Cree 60W starts at 14V. I can run the voltage up and down and it dims but no where near an incandescent. Incandescent illumination drops about V^3.4

--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
hmm interesting.

I just know my fan controller for my ceiling fan says its not to be used with CFLs for some reason. Which means if I get a normal light kit to replace my current one that uses candelabra bulbs I have to pull the remote. No clue why it would not just work with dimming CFLs unless it dims the light using PWM or something.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
I don't have any dimmable CFL's to try. I took the non-dimming down to 75V. Didn't want to push it.

It may be the waveform. I'm using a variac.