uniqs

Purged
@spcsdns.net

Purged to Biggles

Anon

to Biggles

Re: Usage ?

said by Biggles :

2. Some web sites probe their user's connection speed. If they "think" you have a high speed connection, they serve you higher resolution graphics and more of them than they would otherwise, which can result in significantly higher usage numbers.

This is the main reason your useage is up. For example: YouTube always selects the highest possible resolution based on your connection speed. You now have to manually "choose" a lower Resolution when watching any YouTube.

Any video you watch will "auto choose" the highest resolution based on your 4G download speed.

Also web pages that have Flash ads...the same thing. "Hi Res" adverts eating your data.

Install Flash Blocker to your browser. This let's you choose which Flash Vid you want to let pass.

Also install and Ad Blocker, so you won't be downloading Hi Res Ads.

Mary
@embarqhsd.net

Mary

Anon

thanks for this info Are these apps to install or where do i go to add the ad blocker and flash blocker. Thanks alot
Mary
licklog
join:2006-06-14
Sevierville, TN

licklog

Just Google "flash blocker" and "ad blocker". Click on the link which will take you to the site so you can choose which browser add-on you need.
ggultra2764
join:2007-09-13
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764 to Mary

to Mary
What do you use as a browser? You can get extensions for Firefox via the Add-ons menu or get apps for Chrome through Google's Chrome Web Store. I'd recommend Adblock Plus for Firefox and Adblock for Chrome. Not sure about Internet Explorer or other browsers.

Mary
@embarqhsd.net

Mary

Anon

Acutally it is used mostly by my kids on their ipod, surface and dell tablet. I mostly use a flashed mifi when I am on my desktop or my phone, Only fall back to this if a page will not open. That is what is so crazy. When we had the sprint plan I stuck in around 20 gbs and it was used for about everything. Now with this verizon I am at 16 gbs 12 days in so I now have it turned off so we don't go over again this month. Hate to have to change to the other company that has the 60 gbs of sprint for about 20.00 more but thinking I may have to

diugo
join:2014-01-13
Yuma, AZ

diugo

You say "nothing has changed" but it's very easy these days to add an app that uses "the cloud" in some unexpected way. A careful inspection of what is going on on each of your devices could save you that extra $20 a month.

Mary
@myvzw.com

Mary

Anon

Thanks I will look into and see what to do. I know my kids don't put anything on the cloud...we don't like the idea of everything being out there on a cloud. I have them connecting to the other cards we have here anytime possible. Just for some reason they don't allow them to do certain things like updating instagram, ect. Again thanks for your inputs I am thinking one thing that might have made a difference was my daughter was doing a lot of face timing her friends so she stopped that and next month when I turn the mifi back on we will see if that makes a difference.
Mary