spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sky11

join:2010-10-28

[DSL] SmartRG sync issues

Folks, I recently got SmartRG modem and as is, it won't sync - I have to manually update Setting with Teksavvy provided bridge mode txt file after EACH boot of the modem.

I am already talking to Teksavvy support team on the Direct Support forum, but so far I do not see a solution - I even got a replacement modem - still the same issue.

Resetting the modem, restoring default settings does not help - every time the modem is shut down or rebooted, I need to update the Settings.

QUESTIONS:
- how many people are seeing the same problem?
- did anyone found a solution?

(Note: I need the modem to work only in Bridge mode)

TSI Jon
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10

Martin will be reaching out to you in the direct with a fix

Sky11

join:2010-10-28

he did - many thanks!

Teksavvy team rocks

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:19

4 edits

Can somebody please just explain exactly what happened with this bug, and what the fix is?

Extrapolating from what I know, my best guess is this.. The original firmware these came with when Start began offering them did not have this problem. TekSavvy launched the modem with a new firmware which added a Basic Configuration menu, but also added this bug. Then TekSavvy got a fixed firmware and this has been dealt with.

Please correct or confirm.

EDIT:
Firmware versions:
D2.5.0.2013:08:18:... -- no basic menu, no config file bug unkown wrt the bug
D2.5.0.2013:11:12:... -- basic menu added, config file bug introduced
D2.5.0.2013:??:??:...
D2.5.0.2014:01:02:... -- config file bug fixed

EDIT again:
It isn't that easy.. I'm messing with the August 18th firmware, because that's what my supplier ships me, and I'm seeing some discrepancy around config files and the stinger mode setting. Seems like the default settings have the stinger mode line. When I restore to defaults and download the running settings the stinger mode line is missing. Since I don't have VDSL at all, I can't tell what the actual running settings are..
--
electronicsguru.ca

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Sky11

Well, the fix was definitely an updated firmware.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to Teddy Boom

The fix is an firmware update. We are in the process of posting it publicly for all to download and fix.

This should be posted today.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON

Does TekSavvy get a changelog with new firmwares? Can you post that too please
--
electronicsguru.ca

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to Guspaz

Is there a way to tell if stinger mode is running, other than being on a stinger and watching for the sync light?
--
electronicsguru.ca

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Teddy Boom

I don't think we got those. At least, I don't have it if we did.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Teddy Boom

You would have to extract the config file.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Sky11

FYI: »[DSL] SmartRG 505N Firmware Update

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Andre

said by TSI Andre:

You would have to extract the config file.

Right.. With the August 2013 firmware, the stinger mode setting is not reflected on the current settings no matter what I do (update default --> factory reset doesn't work, update running --> reboot doesn't work). That seems inconsistent with whatever is actaully happening though. Otherwise a lot more people would be having issues!?

I just upgraded one to the January 2014 firmware, still no stinger mode in running config (that's okay, it wasn't there in running config before the upgrade either, this is correct behaviour). I did a factory reset and stinger mode appeared in running config for the first time, as expected. Rebooted and running config still shows stinger mode on. That's encouraging

I'd love to understand exactly what's been happening around this issue, but... Well, I guess I really need to get a VDSL service now :(
--
electronicsguru.ca

lleader

join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON

said by Teddy Boom:

I'd love to understand exactly what's been happening around this issue, but...

+1
--
If a man speaks in the forest, and there are no women to hear him, is he still wrong?

Draeta

@teksavvy.com
reply to Teddy Boom

I am skeptical whether <X_SMARTRG_COM_StingerMode> will put SmartRG in "Stinger mode" in a real sense. First off X_SMARTRG_COM_StingerMode tag is in <DeviceInfo> section and it seems to be mere informational type of stuff. Secondly, I am on a Stinger remote and have been running SmartRG (Start Communications config) [TSI login] in bridge mode without any issues. I did loose ~2-3 Mb download speed recently - also reported by other users like Guspaz [ »Re: [DSL] SmartRG - semi-minor problem... ]. The current running config I have on does not have StingerMode line but the modem syncs without a hitch and works great. This is the current uptime from the Device Info page: 29D 6H ... (almost a month!).

McFalski

join:2004-05-21
North York, ON

Same here. I've been running D2.5.0.2013:08:18 firmware pretty nicely without the StingerMode switch. (xDSL stats shows interleaver depth = 1, and no sync issues)