TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to train_wreck

MVM

to train_wreck

Re: [E-mail] Compatible email client for Comcast

said by train_wreck:

... as opposed to IMAP, which accomplishes the same thing (lets you login to & view your emails/contacts) but instead of downloading it to your computer, the mail/contacts stay on the mail server and are never downloaded to your machine unless you specify.

Actually, the only way that you can read IMAP email is when it is downloaded to your computer. IMAP is not read from the server. Ways IMAP differs from POP3:

• POP3 only downloads the Inbox; IMAP downloads all subscribed folders.
• POP3 normally deletes email from the server after download; IMAP does not delete email unless the user specifies.
• IMAP synchronizes local folders with the server.

The last surprises folks more familiar with the way POP3 works. When you delete email from any local computer, it is deleted from the server; and, thus, not available from any computer at the next login.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy

said by NormanS:

POP3 normally deletes email from the server after download; IMAP does not delete email unless the user specifies

I see this statement a lot, but never understood it. Every email client I've ever used had provisions for keeping mail on the server when setting up an account using POP3. The client default may be to delete after download, but the protocol certainly supports leaving it on the server.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by travelguy:

said by NormanS:

POP3 normally deletes email from the server after download; IMAP does not delete email unless the user specifies

I see this statement a lot, but never understood it. Every email client I've ever used had provisions for keeping mail on the server when setting up an account using POP3. The client default may be to delete after download, but the protocol certainly supports leaving it on the server.

Nevertheless, the user must normally override the default; or at least in the past. Windows Live Mail is the first client I have encountered which defaults to leaving mail on the POP3 server.