All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
spectrum70
join:2011-01-14

spectrum70

[BC] Telus fibre internet

So I called Telus today to inquire about internet service to a new house I'm buying, and they said they couldn't get info on my house and had to check with someone and get back to me.

To my surprise they came back and said the normal stuff wasn't showing up because the house is wired with fibre.

Someone else is supposed to be contacting me sometime today about details, but I was just wondering if anyone knew if the telus fibre internet packages differ at all to the DSL ones? I can't seem to find any info on Telus' site about it.

captnhammer
join:2011-02-01
Calgary

captnhammer

Nope, no different. I have FTTH and pay the same. You will likely get better upload speed and latency tho.
spectrum70

spectrum70

Alright, thanks!

None403
@telus.net

None403 to spectrum70

Anon

to spectrum70
Call 310 3343
This is the number i was given by a tech once for fibre sales.
spectrum70

spectrum70

Well after a marathon install (involving no less than 4 techs for a duration of about 6 hours!) finally got the fibre installed.

The results, however, seem to be well worth the wait:

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 34915869
Mikomi
join:2013-12-09
Parksville, BC

Mikomi

18 up O. O I am way to jealous right now. That's faster then my download xD

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada
(Software) pfSense
MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

jtl999 to spectrum70

to spectrum70
My bonded modem says I could get 76 down and 20 up now and that is the current sync rate. Attainable is around 90/30

jtl999

jtl999 to spectrum70

to spectrum70

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· s9JSCwh0

hehe
spectrum70

spectrum70 to jtl999

to jtl999
I'm not sure what the max rate of the fibre is, but it's probably at least 1Gbps

Maybe Telus will be nice one of these days and start offering higher speed services to fibre users like Bell is doing out east.

A man can hope!
ttvtech
join:2013-10-10

ttvtech

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if gpon customers *in some areas* were able to get a higher tier in the very near future.

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999

Wish I could get faster then 50/10 in the near future. On bonded VDSL2 with plenty of headroom. 76 down 12 up sync with 90/20 attainable

Euser1234
@macewan.ca

Euser1234

Anon

Speedtest gets me 52/12 w/ 90/20 attainable here on the Edmonton Ellerslie southside and I don't believe it's bonded (since there's only one line going in the house to get those speeds with the first version of the actiontec modem)

I have those skinny 2ft telus box outside my house that I think connects to a larger green box just next block. A single Cat5 wire runs into the home with only a single pair of wires hooking up to the dsl splitter.

Quick question is: does the cat5 wire run from that huge greenbox or is it copper from the huge box to the small box outside my house.
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

pb2k

said by Euser1234 :

Quick question is: does the cat5 wire run from that huge greenbox or is it copper from the huge box to the small box outside my house.

I've seen a few cat5 drops (generally with fiber), but they only go as far as the pedestal and then it (appears) to be cat3 from there on out. Not sure why they bothered with cat5, but shove a PoE fed switch in the pedestal and you could have a multi-house lan party
Nas1
join:2011-10-05
Camrose, AB

Nas1

My wife and I just purchased a brand new house in a fairly new subdivision and they have ran a cat 5 and a dual cable which appears to have twisted pair on one side and 4 strands of single mode fiber on the other. I'm not sure why they ran a separate cat 5 cable with the dual cable, does anybody know why they would run both?
ttvtech
join:2013-10-10

ttvtech

For a while, Fiber to the Curb was a serious consideration. It might have been put in the ground in case FTTC became a reality before FTTH.
Nas1
join:2011-10-05
Camrose, AB

Nas1

That makes sense, thanks for the reply ttvtech!