join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

2 recommendations

Cthen to dandelion

Premium Member

to dandelion

Re: Blocking PUPs

said by dandelion:

Waiting for the experts to arrive but throwing out a good security program to have is a host file for them, of course it would need updating. Perhaps leave instructions on the computer?

»winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

The problem I have with end users and this is actually getting them to update that every so often. Even leaving instructions won't help them. More than likely they will just delete that.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

1 recommendation

HarryH3

Premium Member

said by Cthen:

The problem I have with end users and this is actually getting them to update that every so often.

This! I have been on other people's systems that had the Windows Updates Are Ready popup and when I checked, they hadn't actually run updates in over 2 years. Yet the same sort of people seem to have plenty of toolbars and other crap mysteriously installed on their systems.

BTW, Avast has a setting to scan for PUP's.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

sivran to Cthen

Premium Member

to Cthen
I don't have much problem with not updating my hosts file. I also take a layered approach to ad and malicious site-blocking, using the hosts file, built-in/addon ad blocking in browsers, and OpenDNS. The main thing is, if they don't see the ads for such programs, they're unlikely to download them.