San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Furrever Fur

Re: [E-mail] Compatible email client for Comcast

said by Furrever Fur:

I need to replace my PC and Vista is no longer available (mine preinstalled). Hence, no WinMail via Vista. Now if anyone knows of a LEGITIMATE (aka legal) source to buy Vista, please PM me.

I don't think that such a place exists at this time. Windows 7 is the successor to Windows Vista.

If you really liked Windows Mail, the successor from Microsoft is Windows Live Mail, which is a component of Windows Live Essentials, which is free to download from Microsoft. Or use Mozilla Thunderbird. Either is as good as Windows Mail. Either offers the choice between POP3 and IMAP.

Windows Live Mail

Mozilla Thunderbird

I did some filling for the Mozilla Thunderbird example; but these images are meant to show what tha clients can do. If you require the details, the secure ports would be:

IMAP: 993 w/SSL
POP3: 995 w/SSL
SMTP: 465 w/SSL
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Furrever Fur
Premium
join:2012-02-20
united state

Thanks for the additional info !! (Eeeek -- that screeching sound was me ... I want zero/zip/nada to do with Microsoft's "live" anything. I like MS but not that 'live' stuff.)

Live_Mail

@comcast.net

said by Furrever Fur:

(Eeeek -- that screeching sound was me ... I want zero/zip/nada to do with Microsoft's "live" anything. I like MS but not that 'live' stuff.)

You can install the Windows Live email client without activating or using any of the other "Live" components. I don't use it myself (I prefer a platform independent product, such as the Mozilla Thunderbird already discussed since I have both Windows and Linux boxes). But I have setup Windows Live Mail for a number of clients who migrated to Windows 7, and it is strictly a local email client if that is how you set it up (clear skies...no MS clouds anywhere in sight).

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Furrever Fur

said by Furrever Fur:

Thanks for the additional info !! (Eeeek -- that screeching sound was me ... I want zero/zip/nada to do with Microsoft's "live" anything. I like MS but not that 'live' stuff.)

Windows Live Mail can be configured as a stand alone client; no login to "Live Services" is required.

I don't know how before the fact; but the this screen shot shows how to change the behavior after the fact.

No

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum