uniqs
DrinkUpstate
join:2011-01-22
Leicester, NY

1 edit

DrinkUpstate

Frontier Rochester NY Area Speed Issues

Hello All,

Anyone else south of Rochester NY (I am in Leicester) having speed issues? I used to regularly get very close to the 6Mbps I pay for but for the last few weeks I have been down to 1-1.5 Mbps. I have tried a different modem with no change. I called during the day in the middle of the week and they said the DSLAM was experiencing lots of traffic - which I figure isn't my problem - and that they would send me a new modem/router. Waiting to see if that changes anything but like I said I have tried a spare I have (Zoom 5715) and am getting the same speeds. Anyone have any other thoughts?

Here are the results of my last speed test:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 949 kbps (118.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 307 kbps (38.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 78 ms
Tuesday, January 07, 2014 5:19:53 PM

gentoo256
@frontiernet.net

gentoo256

Anon

I'm east of Rochester and I'm getting OK speeds but high latency in the evenings. I called Frontier and they said there is an issue with a main server in Rochester, and there has been for a couple of weeks. I don't think there is anything we can do until they fix their network.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY

Racerbob

Premium Member

I for sure would be asking them for credit on my bill for the poor service until the problem is corrected.
DrinkUpstate
join:2011-01-22
Leicester, NY

DrinkUpstate

I just ran another speed test and everything is working correctly again:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 5936 kbps (742 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 360 kbps (45 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 58 ms
Wednesday, January 8, 2014 9:25:22 AM

Guess that proves it isn't any issue with equipment on my end. Funny how for several weeks my speeds have sucked and less than a day after I call it is working correctly again. Makes one wonder what is really causing the problem. Will check speeds again tonight to see if speed is maintained.