uniqs
share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

Memory based hand held recorder for college?

I need to get a hand held recorder device within the next few days for college. I've never purchased one before and don't know anything about them as to what to look for. I might not have the budget for more than 20 or 30 bucks, and see them on eBay for about that much.

I want to be able to offload the recordings to a computer. Be able to use an add on mic. Have enough storage to record weeks of classes if needs be. Work dependably. Work with rechargeable batteries as an option. Not be conspicuous. Have a good enough mic to hear professors from rear of room if needs be.

What else should I look for, and for 25 bucks, what would you get?
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

1 edit
Most professors put up the power points they use for lectures. Most even before the class. If you are registered in classes starting soon you may already have access to the professors class site.
That said computer science or math have tons of stuff written on the board and or power points. Neither will be helped recording a lecture.
My physics professor I do wish I had parts of her lectures. The ones dealing sort of OT on how physics affected history.
The rest was always power point or black board. ok white board.

Ok recording may help if you tend to phase out when a professor says this will be on test and you forget to put a short note on your paper or laptop.
Not every class allows note taking on a laptop also. Laptops can be used to cruise the net so may be banned open in the class except when needed.
In math get used to paper and pencil. In computer science can go either way. Most decent professors as said have power points and in cs put up their code snippets they show in class as know no all can keep up.
Expect group projects outside of class and even in class group work if same there as here.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
reply to signmeuptoo
iphone, reward yourself AND get the features you need!
--
Add a signature here

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
How is battery life on recording classes on an iphone or android?
know laptop users sometimes pick sets next to power outlets.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I've recorded for over an hour on my iphone. Assume you would also have a laptop giving you a little extra juice from the battery if plugged in.
--
Add a signature here

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
reply to signmeuptoo
Here are some fro Walmart that may work for you. Some can use a micro-SD card for additional recording capacity...

»www.walmart.com/browse/office-te···ecorders

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to PhoenixDown
problem with using iPhone: You can't take recording off the phone and put on any other device. I need that ability, and too often my phone's charge runs low way too fast. I start my day at 4:45 AM so by the time school is going, it's 12 hours later, give or take.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
Fresh Meadows, NY
You can take recordings off the phone... get an ipod, same difference.
--
Add a signature here

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
You say that, but don't tell me how?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Both of these ways work: »discussions.apple.com/thread/4959954

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo
I used an Olympia recorded (about $50 bucks) that had a USB connection that I could download the audio to.

For under $25, check this one:

»www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE-Re···rder+usb

It has a USB connection so you can download the audio files to your computer.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo
Which of these two do you think is better and why?

»www.ebay.com/itm/8GB-Digital-Aud···4348751a

»www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-8GB-650Hr-U···817#shId

The latter one uses a permanent battery but has two mics, the former uses 2 AAA batteries and I can't tell if it has a built in mic.

Either is all I can afford and school's about to start, so it has to be one of them or something as cheap on eBay.
--

mk1_416

@start.ca
Look into the Panasonic IC recorder line. They work great. The modlel I have has a normal mic, a zoom mic that attempts to ignore sounds close to the recorder and amplify sounds further away. Has a jack for a standard 1/8 mic and can be offloaded via USB.