cp
Premium Member
join:2004-05-14
Wheaton, IL

cp to scrummie02

Premium Member

to scrummie02
Wow. That is huge news.

Seriously considering moving back to CentOS off Scientific Linux.

SaltyPeaks
@quadranet.com

1 recommendation

SaltyPeaks

Anon

After the mindset of 'CentOS is *for* the community, not *by* it' they can go fsck themselves. I'll stick with SL that has a history of being open.

tommy13v
Premium Member
join:2002-02-15
Niskayuna NY

tommy13v to scrummie02

Premium Member

to scrummie02
That is some big news. As I finish up an install of CentOS I wonder how it will better the community at large.

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

2 recommendations

TuxRaiderPen2 to scrummie02

to scrummie02
Ugghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...........urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........

CPanel PLEASE GET ON WITH THE DEBIAN PORT! ALREADY!

twhiting9275
join:2002-08-30
Waterloo, IA

twhiting9275 to scrummie02

to scrummie02
Yeah, CentOS just lost a big chunk of it's userbase there I can bet.
Not many want to have anything to do with redhat after forcing RHEL on everyone, and this isn't going to end well for them either

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

said by twhiting9275:

Not many want to have anything to do with redhat after forcing RHEL on everyone, and this isn't going to end well for them either

What are the problems that the CentOS community has with this?
I would imagine most corporate users of CentOS are not bothered by this.
twhiting9275
Waterloo, IA

twhiting9275

said by Maxo:

What are the problems that the CentOS community has with this?

Redhat and it's move to RHEL pretty much turned quite a few people against them and shows exactly how little support they have for the community

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
·Frontier FiberOp..

rexbinary

Premium Member

said by twhiting9275:

Redhat and it's move to RHEL pretty much turned quite a few people against them and shows exactly how little support they have for the community

Your comments indicate like a lot of people I've seen post here that you don't really understand the relationship of Fedora, RHEL, and CentOS. Fedora is built by the community, and it's the upstream of RHEL/CentOS.

But that's OK, it took me a bit to wrap my head around it myself. I sorta felt Red Hat had blown off their old school users that used to buy boxed copies of Red Hat Linux for home to support them before I understood it all.

What Red Hat really did is they gave the community the whole thing, the actual thing Red Hat builds from themselves (now called Fedora) to the community to do what they want with it. They didn't do it all at once (Fedora Core), but once they dropped the 'Core' it was truly a community project.

The catch is Red Hat periodically spins their own copy off of Fedora's code base to sell with support to corporate users and then funds Fedora with some of those profits. So, the community gets Fedora, and Red Hat gets to sell RHEL to make money and help fund the Fedora community. If you want RHEL without support you can have it via the CentOS project or Scientific Linux project. Red Hat has taken that a step further now by supporting the CentOS project and it's now part of the community as well. Even CentOS has reached out to Scientific Linux about possible collaboration between the projects.

»www.karan.org/blog/2014/ ··· c-linux/

I am just not seeing a downside to these relationships for anyone, and with Fedora.next upcoming it really seems like an exciting time to be part of the community.

»Fedora.next
twhiting9275
Waterloo, IA

twhiting9275

said by rexbinary:

Your comments indicate like a lot of people I've seen post here that you don't really understand the relationship of Fedora, RHEL, and CentOS. Fedora is built by the community, and it's the upstream of RHEL/CentOS.

I know exactly the relationship between Fedora / RHEL and CentOS

Fedora is the testing pool for RHEL , which CentOS is spawned off of (it is essentially RHEL without the license garbage, and another package or two added in there).

The problem here is that Redhat abandoned the community that built them into what they were. They may contribute a small amount to the Fedora project, but it's nowhere near what the community gave them.

So, what's going to end up happening here is just what did with Redhat originally. Cent will be turned into some sort of 'paid' OS, unfortunately

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
·Frontier FiberOp..

1 recommendation

rexbinary

Premium Member

said by twhiting9275:

said by rexbinary:

I know exactly the relationship between Fedora / RHEL and CentOS

Fedora is the testing pool for RHEL

The problem here is that Redhat abandoned the community

I rest my case.