All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer

Home networking, guest access, vlan, etc?

Hello everyone,

I'm a pretty competent computer user but not a genius when it comes to networking. I have run CAT6 cabling to the appropriate rooms in my house for both security and best bandwidth...

But some things (iPad, phone, etc) of course need wireless access to the internet. They don't however need access to my network.

I currently have a TP-Link TL-WR1043N. I can replace it if needed...

I'd like to give my wireless devices access to the internet (and only MY devices, not open access) but prevent access to my network.

What's the smart way to do this?

Thanks

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

pfsense on a pc (software router) - not easy but cheap
consumer hardware router with 3rd party firmware - not to hard and not to expensive
soho business router with stock firmware - probably easiest and most expensive.

Would use your current TP-Link as an access point on the network (or primary if the router solution you go with does not have wifi)
JackBauer
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer

Thanks...

I'm aware of pfsense but don't want to run a PC (even low power) full time. Or I should say ANOTHER PC...

Any recommendations for consumer router (using what, tomato?) or a soho business router?

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to JackBauer

Premium Member

to JackBauer
For soho the zyxel 110 router.
For consumer, most Asus routers are pretty decent depending upon your price point = the lowest cost would the N12 model, goes right up 66 I think now.
Some like 56U and 65U may not be 3rd party friendly.

eibgrad
join:2010-03-15
united state

eibgrad to JackBauer

to JackBauer
If that TP-Link TL-WR1043N is v1.x, it should support dd-wrt. With dd-wrt you can implement a separate guest network over the wireless AP.

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/inde ··· le_WLANs

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

Brano to JackBauer

MVM

to JackBauer
Replace the TP link with router with guest network. Most of today's SOHO routers have guest network capability. Cisco/Linksys for sure.

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

1 edit

SoonerAl to JackBauer

MVM

to JackBauer
Click for full size
I have an ASUS RT-N66R (same as the RT-N66U but from a different retail source) that has guest WLAN functionality out of the box. I have two guest WLANs running, one using the 5 GHz band and one using the 2.4 GHz band, both with unique SSIDs.

My two private WLANs also have unique SSIDs for the 5 GHz band and the 2.4 GHz band.

In my case I use the factory firmware...
JackBauer
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer to eibgrad

to eibgrad
said by eibgrad:

If that TP-Link TL-WR1043N is v1.x, it should support dd-wrt. With dd-wrt you can implement a separate guest network over the wireless AP.

It is:

WR1043ND v1 00000000

I'm ok with installing 3rd party firmware on it - I just remember when I first got this, I had considered it - and the bricking risk on this router is not small... (And since stock FW did what I needed, I never considered it)

I'll consider it seriously now. Thank you
JackBauer

JackBauer to Brano

to Brano
said by Brano:

Replace the TP link with router with guest network

Ok thank you - I was unsure which routers "guest" meant "uncontrolled / encrypted" guest... And that is NOT what I want. I want full encryption (WPA2), MAC filtering, etc... (I realize real hackers can get through filtering but still...)
JackBauer

JackBauer

I should add - that I am planning on moving to FIOS once VZ gets their head out of their arse and deploys their new DVR.

Which means I'd have the option of using the Actiontec router they use.

Any thoughts there?

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl to JackBauer

MVM

to JackBauer
said by JackBauer:

said by Brano:

Replace the TP link with router with guest network

Ok thank you - I was unsure which routers "guest" meant "uncontrolled / encrypted" guest... And that is NOT what I want. I want full encryption (WPA2), MAC filtering,etc... (I realize real hackers can get through filtering but still...)

FWIW...

The guest WLANs on my ASUS RT-N66R network are secured using WPA2-Personal, aka WPA2-PSK [AES], and long keys...

I broadcast all four of my SSIDs and do NOT use MAC address filtering. Not broadcasting SSIDs and using MAC address filtering causes too many side issues...