spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Wanderlust

join:2014-01-07
United state

[Mobile] Blue Fire Broadband

I came across this provider while looking around for other mobile options and was hoping someone might have any experience with them?

»www.bluefirebroadband.com/plans

I'm interested in the 4g unlimited plan but wanted to see if anyone knew who the carrier might be? Any idea on what the cap might be on that "unlimited"?

I'm currently a Millenicom subscriber and have no issues with them other than getting too close to the cap for comfort. Since I need it for work, I would like to know what options are out there.

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Well, I just spent ten minutes on the phone with them. It is completely unlimited, they claim, not even a fair use right to warn/suspend/terminate clause in their terms of service. Quite oddly, however, there are NO terms of service posted on either of their web sites, either bluefirebroadband.com or broadbandblue.com. Also unsettling is the conflicting answers I got to my Is-this-Sprint-Wimax-Sprint-LTE-or-both question. The first person I spoke to swore it was both. The second person swore it was only WiMax. Go figure.

One person also told me they use Cyberonics equipment. Well, I spoke with Cyberonics a week or so ago, as I recall, and they told me they DO NO HAVE AN LTE DEVICE, only WiMax.

If that's the case, then this strikes me as identical to broadbandqwireless/evdodepotusa, which has been discussed often in this forum. It's a six-month contract, WiMax only, and the unlimited is $125 monthly.

Jonathan1988

join:2013-08-20
Frierson, LA
I currently am in a "Trial period" with Broadbandblue. Your correct when saying they use Cyberonics equipment. Matter of fact once you purchase through their website every other bit of service (customer service, returns, tech support, all of it) transfers over to Cyberonics.

From what I can tell Cyberonic's doesent just supply the equipment but also the service itself. Everything BBB and BQW, EVDOdepot, etc says is the same exact terms and conditions as Cyberonics. Cyberonics also provide T1's (awful pricing though, 579 a month is lowest quote) and other services.

I was giving them a try in hopes that I wouldent be forced into purchasing a T1 connection. Which now having tried out the connection, and beings in my area my current speeds are around 15-35kbps (yes, that number is correct. 15-35 kilobytes per second) and im needing a connection that can power 4 computers, 3 consoles and 5 TV's (netflix, etc) I have decided to send the service back. I am now using my Verizon phones data on my laptop to surf this site now as the 125 dollar a month internet is to slow for it to load.

On a positive note, its not their service itself that makes it a unusable internet. I took the router and antenna to the larger town near me and got speeds of 0.75mbps download and 0.5mbps upload and about 150 ping inside a large metal shop. So 3g is fast enough for minor use and even medium use on a single device but just wont handle a full household using it at one time. Its just not ast enough here.

I was heavily considering purchasing a 20db gain antenna for 158 dollars through Colonial Antennas (Which is 1 of 3 antenna companies Cyberonic's recommends) which would most likely eliminate most of my problems. but after some serious consideration I believe im going the route of getting a T1 and just creating a mini-wisp for my neighborhood of 30 homes (servicing about 10 homes only). To me thats much more monetarily sound when spending 260 a month for a T1 vs spending 125 a month for 3g that doesent work.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Thank you very much for the detailed report on Broadbandblue, EVDODepot, etc. etc. While it will obviously not work out for you, I doubt if it's the reseller's fault. The fact is that Sprint networks are poor and, apparently, getting poorer. If their networks were better, this might be a very much more interesting option.

Jonathan1988

Frierson, LA
Your welcome. As I said the service is decent when a good signal is received. Just not working for me in my area. My suggestion however is to just skip the middle man and go directly with Cyberonics. The pricing and service agreements are exactly the same (atleast from what Ive seen) but the difference is Cyberonics will give you an honest answer when the reseller tends to be not so honest. Example; I asked BroadBandBlue about 3g being fast enough to run a console online (Xbox 360). Sounded like they thought I was dumb for even asking because how could it NOT be fast enough? they told me it was most definitely fast enough "as long as you have good signal". According to my speed tests when I took the router to town, yeah its fast enough. But the enthusiasm they put behind it (atleast the 2-3 sales people I spoke with) leads me to believe they over exagerate the service in general. On the other hand when I asked Cyberonic the answer was immediately apparent in the sound of the guys voice. He said he highly doubted it would work the way I would want it to. Straight up honest answers go a long way with me.

As for Sprints network, I have very very little experience with them. I do know that the 4G services these wireless providers all talk about are only WiMax and not 4GLTE. Which is very unfortunate for me because they have recently upgraded (in the past couple months I believe as 4g was not available through sprint at all 5 months ago) both of the towers that are close to me to 4gLTE capabilities. Sucks that I cant get a unlimited data mobile hotspot through any of the cellular companies because Im surrounded by providers who's LTE reaches me. Im using Verizon on 4g LTE now but with a limit of 4GB of data I just cant see it being used as a main internet service.

criggs

New York, NY
Keep in mind that Verizon lte is available in a 20 gig monthly data limit from Millenicom.

Jonathan1988

Frierson, LA
I am old school (yet only 25) I guess. The idea of a ISP limiting my data usage just insults me. I can sort of understand with a phone....mainly because I never even had a smart phone up untill a year and a half ago. Guess the data limits just came with the territory with smart phones but as for a home connection? bah! where theres a will theres a way and I think T1 will be my way.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
reply to Jonathan1988
said by Jonathan1988:

hopes that I wouldent be forced into purchasing a T1 connection.

said by Jonathan1988:

im needing a connection that can power 4 computers, 3 consoles and 5 TV's (netflix, etc)

said by Jonathan1988:

getting a T1 and just creating a mini-wisp for my neighborhood of 30 homes (servicing about 10 homes only).

You think a t1 is going to accomplish what you have listed?

erispace

join:2014-01-21
USA
reply to Wanderlust
I have found out that broadbandblue,bluefire,evdodepot,zing are all owned by the same company and don't read from the same hymn book. They work indirectly for Cyberonic. As other posters mentioned its hard to get the answers from these guys. I spoke to Broad Band Q Wireless and they were straight forward when I asked what can I expect ? The answer "you can only get so much water through a garden hose" and there are 3 factors when it comes to CDMA technology 1. proximity to the tower 2. elevation 3. topography between your property and the tower.They also told me streaming and gaming were possible but not at the same time. This was a true statement so we pick our battles and its working out.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
reply to criggs
Now with a nice new price increase!!!

said by criggs:

Keep in mind that Verizon lte is available in a 20 gig monthly data limit from Millenicom.

Ollie

@spcsdns.net
Well I signed up with BroadbandQ wireless and received Cyberonics equipment. I have had them for 6 months the service has been good. However, THEY DO HAVE USAGE LIMITS! Although I was told when I signed up that they were unlimited. THIS IS NOT TRUE! I was recently told by Rana at Cyberonics that usage cannot go over 50 GB (and they prefer you don't use more than 30 GB). I have been threatened with being disconnected if I don't cut back my usage. So don't fall for the lie of unlimited. However, I had problems with my internet modem and received fantastic customer service. I received a new modem the next day and even got a return shipping label to send back the old modem. And it is true that once you sign up then you are dealing strictly with Cyberonics.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to Wanderlust