Search similar:

uniqs
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge

Premium Member

Where to place computer equipment

So I'm trying to have a centralized location for all of my computer equipment like router, patch panel and a switch to run wires from to all locations in the house, maybe a small server or 2. The original idea was to put all of this in my office on the 2nd floor, but then I realized that it will get scorching hot in there during the summer, so I would have to actively ventilate the closet, which is not something I want. So now I'm trying to figure out other alternatives.

What's the best practice in these situations?

Thank you.
MrFixit1
join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

MrFixit1

If you want the equipment in an enclosed area , you will need to ventilate or otherwise cool it . Is it possible to place the equipment in an open area ?
Have mine mounted on a wire rack in the basement , but it is not a " finished " basement .
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to Dodge

to Dodge
You are saying patch panel also? Patch panels for ease of install need to go where you can get the homerun wiring to them.
The patch panel and routers may go in a different location from the servers at time for ease of install.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
Mine is all mounted high on the wall in a closet. I have to leave the door open in the summer or it gets pretty hot in the closet. I'm thinking about adding a vent through the wall and using a small exhaust fan to keep the air moving.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
Basement area where the sound of the fans won't bother anyone and it tends to stay cool, with plenty of ventilation.
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to Dodge

to Dodge
I second sticking everything you can in the basement.
Dodge
Premium Member

Dodge

Premium Member

My basement is about 8/10th finished area and the only room that's not finished is the utility room.

Would it be best to keep the equipment in the utility room or in the finished portion of the basement? Thinking high on the wall rack ?

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

Unfinished area. Noise won't be an issue while watching TV or gaming, and nobody but the owner wants to look at the cords, lights, etc. that seem to accompany networky stuff.
Dodge
Premium Member

Dodge

Premium Member

Wouldn't it get super cold/hot/humid in there since the space is not conditioned nor insulated in any way.

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

I don't know where you're located, but here in the NE/N-Central area basements tend toward cool. I use a dehumidifier to keep dampness down, but high temps haven't ever been an issue. How cols is "super cold?" Computer stuff does fine with non-condensing cold.

Are you worried about too hot in the summer or winter (from your furnace)?
Dodge
Premium Member

Dodge

Premium Member

I'm in central NJ. It's not super cold in the basement (even these past few days), but moisture in the summer could become a problem. I haven't been in the house long enough to know what exactly goes on in there during the summer, but since it does get humid around here, I'm assuming humidity may be an issue.

I don't think I want to run a dehumidifier in the furnace room.

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by Dodge:

I don't think I want to run a dehumidifier in the furnace room.

Only need to do that is if it feels damp. Ours is used only in the summer, winter is way too dry to need moisture removal (that's when the humidifier runs).

Basements tend to stay cool, even with the AC not running (multiple day power failure) ours was the coolest place in the house. With the central AC running it stays nice and cool there.

It sounds like your furnace area isn't too hot right now with the furnace running a lot, either, so that'd be where I'd put the stuff. Likely easy to run a new, dedicated circuit over to where you put the backboard or rack, too.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
If you really plan on getting lots of stuff look for a used 19" (or 23") rack.

I found one on ebay and put it in the basement, normally its sits on its feet but can be lowered down on wheels if I need to move it out of the way.
Dodge
Premium Member

Dodge

Premium Member

I'm going to have one wall of the house open from the inside across both floors for a renovation project. I was thinking of installing a PVC conduit (don't know how big I can make it yet) from the basement to the attic, install all of the equipment in the basement and then use the conduit to run all wires to the attic for distribution on the second floor and I can distribute the wires through the basement for the first floor. Does this make sense? Are there going to be any draft or other unforseen issues with this idea? I'm also concerned with this being against every fire code out there as it will create a clear path through the house. Am I overthinking this?
MrFixit1
join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

MrFixit1

Just going to throw out a few thoughts
Is this a " permitted " renovation or on the QT ?
If you have pulled a permit , it would not hurt to ask the inspector what he would like to see .
I can see no difference in running conduit for data from running plumbing or electrical from the basement up . Sometimes wonder how many electricians and plumbers actually seal all penetrations .
Be careful not to use such a large conduit that you weaken any headers or load bearing walls ( sometimes several smaller conduits can be a better idea )
Do you have power in the attic ? If you do , would it make any sense to put a switch there ?
Make sure to also run coax along with the data lines ( in case you want to distribute Video ).
Do Not even think about running power through the same conduit !
Make sure to leave at least one pull string in the conduit .
A handful of fiberglass insulation stuffed in each end will eliminate any drafts , as well as " critter " issues .
Dodge
Premium Member

Dodge

Premium Member

The reno is with a permit, but there are a few things that I want to do myself while the contractor has the walls opened for their part (I'm sure they'll be thrilled with that ) I do need to figure out the sizing of the holes I can make before I figure out the sizing of the conduits as it will be going through a lot of load bearing structure.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
Depending on where you live code will probably make you put some kind of fire stop in that conduit. At the very least you want to stuff a rag in the end of it so that the cold air in the attic doesn't migrate to the basement.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
said by Dodge:

I'm in central NJ. It's not super cold in the basement (even these past few days), but moisture in the summer could become a problem. I haven't been in the house long enough to know what exactly goes on in there during the summer, but since it does get humid around here, I'm assuming humidity may be an issue.

Humidity in the basement should not be a problem for the electronic equipment. Just don't put the equipment directly on the floor.

As long as the humidity isn't allowed to condense, it won't be an issue. The only way condensing is going to happen, is if the relative humidity is near 100% or if the electronic equipment is cooler than the ambient air (which simply isn't going to happen as the equipment generates heat while operating).

I'd go ahead and put the stuff in the utility room as long as you've got a convenient amount of space for the equipment in there.