New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Razer Unveils Project Christine, Modular PC Concept Design

Click for full size

Click for full size
quote:
Razer Unveils Project Christine, the World's Most Modular PC Concept Design

Razer, the world leader in entertainment devices and software, today announced a concept of what promises to be the world's most modular gaming system, Project Christine.

The PC has traditionally been one of the most open platforms in all of technology. However, given the technical complexities of PC hardware, only the most hardcore enthusiasts have been able to take advantage of this openness to build, customize and continuously upgrade their PC desktop systems. The tremendous promise of the PC has remained underexploited by the vast majority of general consumers for more than 30 years, largely due to the convoluted hardware -- knowing what does what, what works with what, and how to connect the pieces.
»www.techpowerup.com/1966 ··· ign.html

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

Cooling/noise nightmare, especially if they are talking gaming-level hardware

Quiet systems have large fans on heatsinks and large fans moving air through the case (or large fans on a water loop radiator). With this each compact component will needs its own cooling. Lots of small fans and no case to help with air flow or dampen noise -> whirrrrr.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by pnjunction:

Actually, it cools the modules with a circulating mineral oil system.

This is kind of neat, but I don't see it ever going beyond the conceptual stage.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

said by Ian1:

said by pnjunction:

Actually, it cools the modules with a circulating mineral oil system.

This is kind of neat, but I don't see it ever going beyond the conceptual stage.

Well OK yeah now I guess we're talking something that is too complicated and expensive to be practical than too loud to be practical.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

I agree. I really don't see this as practical. People into enthusiast gaming systems might upgrade their video-card or CPU up to a point, but after a while, more efficient to upgrade everything. And unless they were selling them by the hundreds of thousands, the Razer GTX 780 module (or whatever) is likely to be +$100 over the cost of an off the shelf card.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

I've stopped upgrading CPUs which were the most painful part to swap. Intel moves platforms too quickly and lately their performance has been increasing too slowly to bother upgrading CPUs in the same motherboard. Look at Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge on LGA1155 it's a useless upgrade.

Upgrading GPU and RAM, adding sound cards, etc is already easy. For someone who doesn't know how to do the initial build I think getting it done at a shop (one here will do full custom build for $61 and upgrades for $20) will be much cheaper than paying hundreds extra for this. And you don't have to worry that Razer will bail and leave you with no upgrade options.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
Am I the only one that got amused by the fact that this thing is called Christine?

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

jchambers28 to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
Here is a video.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· &index=9

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Octavean

to Octavean
Looks like a Thermaltake Level 10.

trollololol
@optonline.net

trollololol to Octavean

Anon

to Octavean
Lets see...

Pay extra to have dumb looking pc

Pay extra for any upgrade because you can't just buy a normal XYZ but need to buy this special crap.

Liquid cooled! so your into pcs enough to get a machine that is cooled by liquid but don't want to go water cooling...

Is it April already?

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by trollololol :

Pay extra to have dumb looking pc

To be fair, the tried and true "box PC" isn't an inspiration to everyone. If it were, Apple would not be one of the richest companies in the United States, if not the world right now.

Razer is right to try and tap that market, I just debate whether or not this is the machine that would allow them to enter that market.

EQ