spc
Search similar:

uniqs

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

shinjuru

[Game] Alien: Isolation

Great read about the new Alien release, Alien: Isolation, that apparently is nothing like Alien: Colonial Marines. In fact, it will be more a first-person survival horror game.

»youtu.be/dF85LNxj1-U

Here's some of the interview with Al Hope, Creative Lead of Alien: Isolation.
said by Rock, Paper, Shotgun :

RPS: Hi guys. That Alien: Isolation is being billed as a survival horror game is going to be important for fans, considering the latest game Colonial Marines, which went in the complete opposite direction. Is that something you have to think about?

Hope: Absolutely, I mean I’ve been thinking about this game for a very long time, having read the Alan Dean Foster novelisation as a kid before I even saw the film and thinking, “wow, this character’s cool” and then seeing the film and thinking, “wow, this is an amazing visual world.” I mean, we’ve been working on this for over three and a half years. I think for us from the outset the goal was always really clear. The vision was crystal clear, so we just stuck to that. That hasn’t changed over the course of development, so we’re kind of blinkered in that respect but… we’re doing our own thing, we’re taking the franchise in a completely different direction.

RPS: When you say that the Alien is “low frequency” and that it won’t show up too often, what other kinds of threats or challenges will be there for the player?

Hope: So the game is very much about you surviving and your journey through the [station], it’s about that whole space. It’s not just about you and the Alien. The demo today was very much about giving you a very small glimpse of what it’s like. Which was basically a test for us, you know – what’s it like to put a player in a space with Ridley Scott’s original Alien and a motion tracker? What is that like? I mean, one of the first things, before we had anything on the screen, I’d be talking to guys in the studio, going… “Okay, we’re going to release Ridley Scott’s Alien in the studio. What you gonna do?” It was a cool jumping off point because people would be saying, “Okay well I’m gonna crouch under my desk – make sure he can’t see me!” Cool. Then what are you gonna do? It was kind of a nice concept, you know… But to go back to your question, it’s very much about surviving against all the obstacles that the player is up against. The world itself is very dangerous and it’s physically dangerous, the world is kind of a puzzle in some respects. There is a small group of inhabitants on that station and they’re in a similar situation to you and how they react to you varies – sometimes positive, sometimes negative. There’s a large number of combinations of things that the player needs to be thinking about all the time to survive and it’s very much about surviving.

Read the rest of the article over at »www.rockpapershotgun.com ··· preview/

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

I know Aliens: Colonial Marines wasn't that long ago and it's soured many on this franchise in general. But Alien: Isolation makes me realize that what I have always really wanted is a game based on the first film, not the second. Something that focuses on tension, horror, and survival. With too much run-and-gun and typically overpowered arsenals in most Aliens games, the xenomorphs lose their fear factor and become blasé cannon fodder.

So from what I've seen of Isolation, I'm very hopeful. I also get the impression that Sega may have learned something from the Colonial Marines disaster; according to Jim Sterling, they required Creative Assembly to supply them with a section of playable, real, representative gameplay before showing anything to previewers. Also, Creative Assembly is an in-house studio at Sega, so that says something too.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
That does look fuckin' bad ass. An Aliens setting with Outlast style survival horror game play.

We all now how amazing trailers can be made to look though.

shinjuru

West Coast

shinjuru

I agree, I always get that apprehensive feeling after watching a good game trailer.
shinjuru

shinjuru

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
New screenshots!

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

That looks really, really good.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
It looks nice so far... but it's by The Creative Assembly, so I'd be wary of the game for the first few months. As far as I know, they do not really have any experience with FPS games, and their last couple of releases were a bit too buggy for a release.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to shinjuru

MVM

to shinjuru
Well, this game looks very interesting. I remember years back when I preordered and bought Dead Space. That game still is the best survival/horror/science fiction game I have ever played. Dead Space 2 and 3 were solid as well, but 3 was more action oriented and not survival like the previous 2 were. Of course, 2 was not as survival oriented as 1 was, but I digress....

When I see this game, it reminds me of Dead Space, but I am very hesitant after seeing the reviews on Colonial Marines and seeing how that game bombed. I am going to pick that game up on a steam sale eventually, but the point is that the alien franchise hasn't had a solid game come out since Aliens vs Predator back in the day, and even that game was just ok.

I am hopeful that this game is a good one. I am going to wait for the reviews though before I purchase.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

I wouldn't compare this to Aliens:CM, as it's by a completely different studio.

The Creative Assembly are the guys responsible for all the Total War games and had nothing to do with A:CM

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

Well, this game looks very interesting. I remember years back when I preordered and bought Dead Space. That game still is the best survival/horror/science fiction game I have ever played. Dead Space 2 and 3 were solid as well, but 3 was more action oriented and not survival like the previous 2 were. Of course, 2 was not as survival oriented as 1 was, but I digress....

The very beginning of Dead Space 3 is pretty action oriented. After that, it gets right back to being a creepy survival horror game. Some of the close quarters, dim lit areas are really well done. DS3 has some of the best lighting I've seen in a game. I don't get where all the hate came from for DS3, I must be playing a different version then everyone else?

Aliens Isolation looks simliar. If they do this game like Outlast/Amnesia style, it'll be amazing. You guys need to give Outlast a try though. It's one of the best survival horror games out there.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
Colonial Marines was a game if I remember right that started with a shitload of potential but then due to lots of bad happenings became too many chefs in the kitchen and turned to crap.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to Ghastlyone

MVM

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

The very beginning of Dead Space 3 is pretty action oriented. After that, it gets right back to being a creepy survival horror game. Some of the close quarters, dim lit areas are really well done. DS3 has some of the best lighting I've seen in a game. I don't get where all the hate came from for DS3, I must be playing a different version then everyone else?

I guess I am comparing both DS2 and DS3 to the greatness that was DS1. DS1 was the ultimate in horror survival IMHO. I preordered DS3, and while I thought it was a great game, it just didn't get my spine tingling as much as the 1st game and less so than the 2nd game.

I do agree with you just how good DS3 was, and calling it the weakest of the trilogy isn't a bad thing. I still consider it a must buy.
Nightfall

Nightfall to ekster

MVM

to ekster
said by ekster:

I wouldn't compare this to Aliens:CM, as it's by a completely different studio.

The Creative Assembly are the guys responsible for all the Total War games and had nothing to do with A:CM

Very true, but the fact that a solid Alien's related game hasn't been released since AvP speaks a lot. I think gaming companies have been trying to make a quick buck off the franchise name and that has really caused more harm than good.

Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
Has there ever even been a good Alien's game?

I remember playing some FPS back in 2000 with Marines, Predators and Aliens, cant remember the name... AvP?

Anyways, I played it for about 15 minutes then went back to Unreal Tourney, Quake 3 and Counter Strike (mostly Counter Strike).

Ratman_84
join:2002-01-31
Sacramento, CA

Ratman_84 to shinjuru

to shinjuru
The original AvP was pretty awesome. Particularly the online gameplay through mPlayer. Multiple game modes, all enjoyable. Great memories. It's like $2 on Steam now, but I don't think anyone plays it.

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to Savious

Premium Member

to Savious
AvP 2 was pretty good too. Monolith developed that one.

shinjuru

West Coast

shinjuru

New Developer Diary video.

»youtu.be/g0yxWcY3LDM

Tomek
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Tomek to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
I was big fan of AvP1 and AvP2.
First one had horror elements as Marine, while AvP2 was more like puzzle FPS.
Facehugger jumping on the screen threw me off chair multiple times.

I think the best method is have like FPS elements (with LIMITED ammo) and as you guys mentioned, survival horror. Aliens (movie) started as shootout but quickly turned into oh shit, we are screwed.
I do have high hopes into that one

shinjuru

West Coast

shinjuru

Video update regarding the importance of sound.

»youtu.be/2Fr_Z7aTI3A

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

As a sound effects buff, I quite enjoyed this one. Always thought being a foley artist (like the woman stomping on vegetables) would be fun.

It's particularly awesome how the devs got access to original tapes from the '79 film that helped them discover what went into the original sound design. I've been part of a few archival digs for 30-40 year old recordings and am fascinated by the challenges involved.

As for the game, the more I see of it, the more I like it. I appreciate how the developers seem to be treating the subject matter, particularly after some of the more publicized recent uses of the Alien/Aliens IP.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
I'm excited for this!
»ca.ign.com/articles/2014 ··· ame-ever
Graphics look amazing!

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to banditws6

MVM

to banditws6
said by banditws6:

As a sound effects buff, I quite enjoyed this one. Always thought being a foley artist (like the woman stomping on vegetables) would be fun.

It's particularly awesome how the devs got access to original tapes from the '79 film that helped them discover what went into the original sound design. I've been part of a few archival digs for 30-40 year old recordings and am fascinated by the challenges involved.

As for the game, the more I see of it, the more I like it. I appreciate how the developers seem to be treating the subject matter, particularly after some of the more publicized recent uses of the Alien/Aliens IP.

I really like what I see as well. However, they are going to really have a hard time beating what probably is the best sci-fi horror game I have ever played, which is Dead Space. That game scared the crap out of me and it still does when I replay it. What made it scary was the story and the sound effects. I certainly hope that Alien: Isolation lives up to its billing. I really would like to see something else in the sci-fi horror genre category.

shinjuru

West Coast

shinjuru to Dustyn

to Dustyn
Great video! Pretty in-depth.

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
I'll agree with you there. I'm not sure I've ever been as genuinely disturbed as I was while playing Dead Space -- perhaps during Condemned, but that's the only other close contender that comes to mind. Dead Space 2 was a bit less horrifying, except for the level where you return to the Ishimura -- that was the most frightening part of the game for me.

I somehow do not expect Alien: Isolation to surpass that, but I think for me personally that's because it's liable to lack much of a "body horror" element which Dead Space did so well.

shinjuru

West Coast

shinjuru

From Developer Diary.

»youtu.be/icpR-R1ZOa4
shinjuru

shinjuru

New Developer Diary entry. This game is shaping up to be a good Escape and Evade title!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· wK0Ouyfg
shinjuru

shinjuru

Video via IGN.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· CHHXSXRA
shinjuru

1 edit

shinjuru

Gone Gold.
October 7th Release.
Actually looking forward to this title.
said by Alien Isolation :

In the same week that we’ve gone Gold, we’re also pleased to confirm the PC required specifications for our PC gamers.

Minimum PC Specifications are:

Operating System: Windows 7 (32bit)
Processor: 3.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
RAM: 4GB RAM
Hard Drive: 35GB required for installation
Video Card: 1GB DirectX® 11 (AMD Radeon HD 5550 or Nvidia GeForce GT 430)
Broadband Internet Connection

Recommended PC Specifications are:

Operating System: Windows 7 (64bit)
Processor: AMD: Phenom II X4 955 – 4 Core, 3.2 GHz or INTEL: Core 2 Quad Q9650 – 4 Core, 3.0 Ghz
RAM: 8GB RAM
Hard Drive: 35GB required for installation
Video Card: 2GB DirectX® 11 (AMD GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series or Nvidia gpu: GeForce GTX660)
Broadband Internet Connection

Prepare your systems and get ready for October 7th….

shinjuru

shinjuru

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· B8-hauLc

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to shinjuru

to shinjuru
This looks so fantastic and real that I won't be playing it.

Seriously guys. It appears that I am programmed differently than other people, because I really don't enjoy having my adrenal glands work in overdrive while I play video games. Getting jump scared out of my wits really doesn't do it for me. Those fucking babies in Deadspace made me shit my pants so much it broke my anus.

I'm gonna leave the Amnesias and this game to the adrenaline junkies.