uniqs
drw123
join:2011-06-21
Birmingham, AL

drw123 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Re: [Birmingham] Lightning Install

said by BHNtechXpert:

There is no problem using your existing router provided that it has better performance than our modems which I can tell you simply by you replying with your make/model and yes they will set that all up for you.

BHNtechXpert,
Thanks for replying- I was hoping to get some help from you- here is my question- my current router is outdated and would not be up to standard, but I am setting up a new iMAC and by the time I am ready to upgrade to Lightning, I will have one of the following routers:

Apple Airport Extreme
Netgear Nighthawk AC1900

So assuming I have one of those, I can use it router with the modem I will be getting as part of my Lightning upgrade- is that correct? I am guessing the modem will be put into bridge mode- is that correct? That doesn't cause any problems or issues?

Finally, how does it work if you DON'T use your own router- in that case does the Bright House modem double as the modem and the router- is that how it works?

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using your own router vs using the Bright House modem/router??

Thanks so much- your replies on other topics have been a big help.....
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by drw123:

said by BHNtechXpert:

There is no problem using your existing router provided that it has better performance than our modems which I can tell you simply by you replying with your make/model and yes they will set that all up for you.

BHNtechXpert,
Thanks for replying- I was hoping to get some help from you- here is my question- my current router is outdated and would not be up to standard, but I am setting up a new iMAC and by the time I am ready to upgrade to Lightning, I will have one of the following routers:

Apple Airport Extreme
Netgear Nighthawk AC1900

So assuming I have one of those, I can use it router with the modem I will be getting as part of my Lightning upgrade- is that correct? I am guessing the modem will be put into bridge mode- is that correct? That doesn't cause any problems or issues?

Finally, how does it work if you DON'T use your own router- in that case does the Bright House modem double as the modem and the router- is that how it works?

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using your own router vs using the Bright House modem/router??

Thanks so much- your replies on other topics have been a big help.....

In your case either of these routers would do nicely.....key things to consider... Apple products tend to be way over priced and under featured especially their router. I would personally lean towards the Netgear.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to drw123

to drw123
said by drw123:

I've had two BHN provided DOCSIS3 devices. Both were Motorola. I forget the model of the first one, but it was a full blown cable modem, router, and wireless access point. Since I use my own router I had BHN put it in bridge mode.

I moved, and services were changed. Now I have a Moto SB6141. It is just a cable modem... no router functions what-so-ever.

I'm not sure if they use different equipment in your area, but since you use your own router for DHCP I'd ask them to bridge the device if they provide an all-in-one device like I had first.

EDIT: OK -- so I read that wrong. Sorry...

If you're not using your own router I hope they'll provide the AIO device... that way it'll handle assigning IP's to your network. I'm just not sure under what conditions they issue it vs the standard modem. If you don't get the AIO device you're kind of stuck... You'll have one PC hooked up to the modem.
drw123
join:2011-06-21
Birmingham, AL

drw123 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

In your case either of these routers would do nicely.....key things to consider... Apple products tend to be way over priced and under featured especially their router. I would personally lean towards the Netgear.

Thanks for the reply- really appreciate it- I may go with the Netgear, but the main reason I was considering the Airport is I just got a new Mac computer and figured it would make things easier- (looking for easiest possible setup). The Airport Extreme, for my purposes, would probably be fine.

One follow up question about modems- since I am using my own router, is it possible to get Bright House to just supply me with a modem only (like the 6121 or 6141) rather than an all in one in bridge mode? Or does it even matter- any advantages/disadvantage to having a modem only, or an modem/router in bridge mode?

Again, I really appreciate the help- thanks
Dennis