uniqs

chmod
Premium Member
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL

chmod

Premium Member

New install, slow WiFi.

Got uverse installed yesterday with u300 tv and max plus internet. New aerial drop, cat5 homerun from nid, Cisco 3801HGV gateway, 2 wireless receivers, 1 dvr, whatever wap for the wireless receivers. Before any tv's were hooked up I was getting almost 24mbit down with tv's going I'm testing at almost 22mbit down right now on a wired connection. WiFi however on any device is closer to about 13mbit. Any ideas?
chmod

chmod

Premium Member

Little more background. Pots hasn't been in this home for over 10 years. New siding was installed a few years back with box's lazily reinstalled. All was good except for NID being upside down and the installer moaning and groaning about working out of another persons truck and not being in stock on key items. Installer left it that way and put silicone caulk over the top where the wires come in. Truck roll tomorrow for that. I asked about the top tier internet when he got here as I was unaware tv would cut into internet bandwidth. He said yes but they would have to cancel my order and call another person and he would be here all day. I have to make another call on that tomorrow apparently whoever deals with that is gone for the night. I can throw a rock and hit the vrad. I just want the new customer promo with no install costs for the 45tier as advertised.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige to chmod

to chmod
2wire/Pace 3801 gateway likely defaults to auto channel selection for wifi, which is poor. Did you test for wifi congestion, disable auto channel, and try channels 1, 6, or 11 for best speed?

»Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »Why is my wireless connection so slow?

3801 is 802.11g (not n). That FAQ is a bit old but so is 3801. I'd also suggest WPA2 wifi security, 802.11g-only mode, and work upwards from lowest wifi power setting that reaches where you need it.

24Mbps is Max-Turbo right?

my thoughts to chmod

Anon

to chmod
You ordered Max Plus and are receiving those speeds.
There is no guarantee of wifi speeds, will need to look for possible interference items on 2.4ghz frequency.
Use wifi analyzer or inSSIDer to help find less congestion channels, set manually.

To move from Max Plus to Power is an additional $20 per month. (FYI)
A new install that can take less than 2 and as much as 6 hours, depends on line quality.
The 3801 or 3800 is correct RG for current profile, the 589 for bonded POWER.

All Uverse is shared bandwidth, so moving to top internet tier, tvs HD channels will still cut into bandwidth.
If desire minimum impact lower internet speeds to 6M.
Why....if on 32M profile, 4HD feeds at about 6M per feed 32-(4x6)=8M at90% =7.2M so on ELITE (6/1) internet speeds should be consistent regardless of TV usage. Any package above ELITE will be affected.

chmod
Premium Member
Lockport, IL

chmod to brookeKrige

Premium Member

to brookeKrige
Wow, I just assumed that it was wireless n. Why am I leaseing such old technology?

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

Short answer: AT&T does what it wants due to insufficient competition.

Bean counters concluded obsolete wireless tech doesn't lose enough customers to make up for their savings from recycling a warehouse of old gateways where ever they are still adequate for customer's WIRED line & service combination.

fyi: When I upgraded service in middle of a 12-month promo (though without new gateway needed at the time), the online system appeared to want to cancel my promo. But when I called to order the same upgrade, I got my remaining promo preserved.

You might have to call several times trying to get that Power promo, now? Hope they are motivated still, despite technically just starting single pair service.

chmod
Premium Member
Lockport, IL

chmod

Premium Member

Click for full size
I finally got around to messing with this. I'm on channel 11 with the option of changing channels between 1-11 on my gateway. If I'm reading this correctly I'm sol?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Yeah, that is pretty bad...

Best bet would be to get a 3rd party router, dual band radio, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz N or AC, and use that for WiFi, turning off the 2Wire/Pace WiFi. Then get as many 5 GHz N/AC WiFi network adapters as possible for all your LAN devices

That way, you can move much of your WiFi traffic off of the crowded 2.4 GHz and onto the less utilized 5 GHz (though granted, the WiFi STB transmitter/receivers utilizes a 5 GHz network)

my thoughts to chmod

Anon

to chmod
Your one of 13 units, unless willing to buy your own dual band N router and place in DMZ to move to hopefully less crowded 5ghz frequency, your interference is what it is.

If important hardwired connections are the way to go.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall to chmod

Premium Member

to chmod
My 2.4 GHz is worse than that and I can get higher than 13 Mbps as far as I know.

My gateway even goes about 900ft+ uphill.

chmod
Premium Member
Lockport, IL

chmod

Premium Member

To drift a little ot for a minute. I'm showing a lot of unused channels between 3x and 15x. Would a db router take advantage of this? If so what would you recommend? I have my gateway centrally located and I get excellent coverage throughout the house the speeds just aren't there.
nrobot80
join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

nrobot80 to chmod

to chmod
Keep in mind wifi speeds aren't guaranteed. In all honesty the 3801 is a piece of crap. The one that was installed may be refurbished so the router may or may not be defective. I've installed 3801s where the lights don't work, AT&T gives me crappy equipment then blames me when another truck roll is dispatched. If you upgrade to the power tier you will get a NVG589 which has an N router. They've only been in use for about 6 months so chances are high that you ll get a new one.

chmod
Premium Member
Lockport, IL

chmod

Premium Member

Click for full size
How do these levels look? Should I be OK to schedule a 45meg install?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Just based on that single pair VDSL2 sync stats page, you should be good for Pair Bonded VDSL2 on the 55/6 bonded profile, which is what the 45/6 Power tier requires

I would highly encourage a separate router, dual band, with both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz as well as N, if not AC, support, especially if you are considering the bump to 45/6