PToN
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

Web based project management app?

Hello,

Given that for some crazy reason, the IT dept is to be ISO 9001:2008 compliant, and consequently we are now to provide quantifiable results on everything we do and be able to provide proof of it.

So i am looking into a web based project management app, in fact, i would really like to use Trac, but seems more oriented to software development and it seems like it can only do 1 project per installation...

I prefer it to be linux based..

Anyone has any recommendations?

Thanks.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

Linux based, web based, »www.redmine.org
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007 to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
Try JIRA: »www.atlassian.com/software/jira

I use it under Windows but it runs under Linux too (it is Java based).

PToN
Premium Member
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

Ok, maybe you can answer this.

I am currently testing osTicket. This allows any number of users to create tickets via email or going a web portal and simply following the step without any need for them to authenticate nor have an account.

Would Jira work in the same way?. Our IT department is only 3 people, 4 at its maximum ever. So it looks like 10 licenses is all we would need for JIRA and its add-ons, etc.

Or does every single user, including the end-users account for a license each?

Thanks!
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

said by PToN:

Ok, maybe you can answer this.

I am currently testing osTicket. This allows any number of users to create tickets via email or going a web portal and simply following the step without any need for them to authenticate nor have an account.

Would Jira work in the same way?. Our IT department is only 3 people, 4 at its maximum ever. So it looks like 10 licenses is all we would need for JIRA and its add-ons, etc.

Or does every single user, including the end-users account for a license each?

Thanks!

Anybody who logs in with user name/password in user interface is counted as a license. That being said issues can be submitted via email by unlimited number of people. You can then make issues public and send user a link to follow, however I don't think they will be able to comment without logging in.

I also recommend Confluence from the same company for a Wiki.

They have a lot of videos here: »www.youtube.com/user/GoA ··· re=watch

PToN
Premium Member
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

I see... It may get expensive if every single end-user needs a license to reply to the submitted ticket..

It'd be cool, if they could "login" and interact by entering their email and the ticket number without actually having an account.

I think we gonna try osTicket and Redmine for a while see how it goes.

Thanks.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

Yes, JIRA is not really a helpdesk. Maybe Atlassian offers something for that as well but I am not sure. You may want to consider a separate product for helpdesk.

PToN
Premium Member
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

they have a helpdesk add on. But if all my end-users will need an account, i would be spending more on licenses than the return of it..