join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron

Re: Elder Scrolls Online Doomed?

said by El Quintron:

said by IamGimli:

if past experience is any indication they won't care as they never did fix Skyrim to be able to remap to the numpad, a third party had to make a mod for it.

I'm not really an MMO player but I get the impression that they aren't that moddable, so a third party won't be an option in this case. It would be incumbent on Bethesda to sort it out as quickly as possible.

EQ

WoW has literally hundreds of mods for it. People use gamepads and everything for it--I do hope they allow mouse-over macros at the very least.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

WoW has literally hundreds of mods for it.

Good to know, I guess that brings up another question (and will most definitely show my noobish-ness when it comes to anything multiplayer ) how do they prevent cheating, or determine that one mod is allowable and one isn't?
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned)

They have a framework which only allows certain commands and functions, which are difficult to exploit for cheating. I won't say impossible because it's happened in the past but it's pretty robust.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by IamGimli:

They have a framework which only allows certain commands and functions, which are difficult to exploit for cheating.

So at the end of the day, you wouldn't be completely screwed, but Bethesda should take some responsibility for left handed gaming irrespective of what mods may or may not come into existence.

EQ

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

said by Krisnatharok:

WoW has literally hundreds of mods for it.

Good to know, I guess that brings up another question (and will most definitely show my noobish-ness when it comes to anything multiplayer ) how do they prevent cheating, or determine that one mod is allowable and one isn't?

They try to vet the stuff, and will ban a mod that breaks the game for people.

By way of an example, there was a mod that came out a couple years ago called something like "Don't Stand There!" that projected a raid boss's mechanics into colored polygons on the ground. If the boss was going to a frontal-cone smash, a big red V would appear in front of the boss and the mod would scream at you if you stood there. If you needed to get to a safe/null zone to avoid an AOE, the null zone would appear as a green circle.

Blizzard thought this was too much hand holding (despite some of this stuff already being available in terms of the animations behind the boss's telegraphed move, Deadly Boss Mods warning you if you are taking damage, etc.), so they yanked it.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to El Quintron

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

So at the end of the day, you wouldn't be completely screwed, but Bethesda should take some responsibility for left handed gaming irrespective of what mods may or may not come into existence.

EQ

I was commenting specifically on how WoW does it. I have no idea whether ESO will support any addon, let alone one that permits the edition of such basic controls. WoW, for example, wouldn't be able to support that through addons.