spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jedilord

join:2014-01-09

[TV] New Equipment

Let's be honest, TWC/Brighthouse and who I have now (verizon) are so far behind the times with equipment. The fact that Dish came out with the hopper a little over a rear ago and then now have a 8 tuner box coming out this year makes the aforementioned companies look pitiful.

I'm looking to switch back to BHN but wanted to solidify my decision knowing that BHN has a multi tuner solution coming soon. Apparent Verizon has their own 6-12 tuner boxes coming as well.
Any info about this?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:138

said by jedilord:

Let's be honest, TWC/Brighthouse and who I have now (verizon) are so far behind the times with equipment. The fact that Dish came out with the hopper a little over a rear ago and then now have a 8 tuner box coming out this year makes the aforementioned companies look pitiful.

I'm looking to switch back to BHN but wanted to solidify my decision knowing that BHN has a multi tuner solution coming soon. Apparent Verizon has their own 6-12 tuner boxes coming as well.
Any info about this?

Stay tuned....

And no V doesn't have a 12 tuner box coming out...lordy....if you must record 12 programs at once....cmon man lets be real here.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

jedilord

Can you provide a rough time frame? Hell you can even call me so there isn't a paper trail.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by jedilord:

Can you provide a rough time frame? Hell you can even call me so there isn't a paper trail.

LOL honestly I cannot but suffice to say it will be a good year on lots of fronts.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

jedilord

Verizon told me in September that the 12 tuner box was coming out in December. So I won't hold my breath on either front. Whoever gets the new equipment keeps/gets my business. Not sure how a satellite tv co can keep with the times and well established cable co cannot. :/
Paragon wouldn't have let this happen.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by jedilord:

Paragon wouldn't have let this happen.

DVR's and digital cable as we know it did not exist then....lets be real

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Calera, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to jedilord

said by BHNtechXpert:

if you must record 12 programs at once....cmon man lets be real here.

Dish announced an 8 tuner Hopper at CES so it's not so far fetched, and when I had DirecTV some folks on the DirecTV forums had 16 tuners active on their accounts, usually all DVRs (though those are obviously high end techie nerd types)

said by jedilord:

Not sure how a satellite tv co can keep with the times and well established cable co cannot. :/

The satellite companies completely control every single piece of technology in their stack. Cable doesn't, they rely on CableLabs to create standards, and (granted, less often these days) on Cisco/SA and Motorola to create and release equipment, and then on companies like Pioneer/Rovi to create software like iGuide and Passport.

Only recently have the cable companies gotten their heads out of the sand. Many of them let their video service wither on the vine and they got behind on user experience and channel lineup, though they usually beat the other guys on price. It was kind of a choice: want cheap? go cable. want the best experience? go satellite.

Now, companies like Comcast and TWC (and by extension BHN through their agreements) are under the gun and are feeling the pressure and are starting to roll their own interfaces. Unfortunately they're still beholden to outside vendors like Cisco, Motorola, and Samsung to build the physical equipment but that is increasingly moving to the data center (otherwise known as the cloud but I hate that term) and outside standards like OCAP from CableLabs.

I still don't know why so many of the big cable companies don't use obviously superior UX that is out there like Moxi or TiVo, but I assume it is based on cost or how much control TiVo retains. I know that wherever I lived, whatever MVPD has TiVo availability, retail or otherwise, would get my business.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by mixdup:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Dish announced an 8 tuner Hopper at CES so it's not so far fetched, and when I had DirecTV some folks on the DirecTV forums had 16 tuners active on their accounts, usually all DVRs (though those are obviously high end techie nerd types)

said by jedilord:

Not sure how a satellite tv co can keep with the times and well established cable co cannot. :/

The satellite companies completely control every single piece of technology in their stack. Cable doesn't, they rely on CableLabs to create standards, and (granted, less often these days) on Cisco/SA and Motorola to create and release equipment, and then on companies like Pioneer/Rovi to create software like iGuide and Passport.

Only recently have the cable companies gotten their heads out of the sand. Many of them let their video service wither on the vine and they got behind on user experience and channel lineup, though they usually beat the other guys on price. It was kind of a choice: want cheap? go cable. want the best experience? go satellite.

Now, companies like Comcast and TWC (and by extension BHN through their agreements) are under the gun and are feeling the pressure and are starting to roll their own interfaces. Unfortunately they're still beholden to outside vendors like Cisco, Motorola, and Samsung to build the physical equipment but that is increasingly moving to the data center (otherwise known as the cloud but I hate that term) and outside standards like OCAP from CableLabs.

I still don't know why so many of the big cable companies don't use obviously superior UX that is out there like Moxi or TiVo, but I assume it is based on cost or how much control TiVo retains. I know that wherever I lived, whatever MVPD has TiVo availability, retail or otherwise, would get my business.

1) Yes I am aware of what Dish announced ....

2) It has nothing to do with being beholden as you put to it to anyone. It has to do with a HUGE investment in existing STB technology that is difficult and in some cases impossible to upgrade to current wishes and desires which must be cycled out of circulation over time. You do NOT swap 2, 4, 6 or 8 million boxes (for example) overnight...no mfr could make enough for you to do that and there are thousands of providers globally all using the same technology and in line for the latest greatest box. And you don't want to make the decision and switch too soon because the platform you selected becomes out of date before you even finish the rollout.... we're to a point now where scalability is not the issue it once was and things are starting to move much faster....THAT IS THE PROBLEM...nothing of what you stated above.

3)Using Moxi or Tivo means paying them each month, each seat for the use of the technology on top of all the things that want a piece of the pay. In case you hadn't noticed but people are already complaining of costs....
--

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Calera, AL
Reviews:
·Charter

Man, you take offense way too easily. This is a public forum, the discussion here isn't going to be like a press release. I'm not trying to be belligerent, just giving you the view of a fairly tech savvy customer of your industry.

As for number 2, until recently you WERE beholden to whatever was released by someone else. Only just in the past year or two have MSOs started writing their own software for their boxes. DirecTV and Dish had no problem rolling out new features over the years. You don't have to replace 8 or 20 million boxes at once. Heck, up until they shut off the APG feed late last year, DirecTV was still supporting *the very first boxes they ever released* back from the USSB/DirecTV days. Now, I realize that both Dish and DirecTV have a scale that a smaller MSO like Bright House doesn't have, but there's no reason that either all the MSOs couldn't have gotten together or the larger MSOs couldn't have worked earlier on initiatives like X1 or the new TWC software that I assume is what BHN will be rolling out that you constantly vaguely hint at. To suggest that it was simply because you couldn't roll it out to everyone is either dishonest or means your companies were bad at their jobs because that isn't required (and isn't how you're going to roll out future updates either)

Secondly, if the platform might become out of date too quickly, that doesn't make sense. You'd rather your already out of date platform seem even MORE dated and customer hostile instead of at the very least adding SOME features and modernization? I don't buy it.

It just doesn't make any sense, at all. Apple can roll out new features to computers, iPhones, and iPads without issue. DirecTV can roll out new features to their boxes. SiriusXM can even roll out new features to their radios and their legacy equipment is built into cars.

It was simply a lack of imagination and a lack of financial fortitude on the part of the MSOs. I know you work for one, but don't take it so personal. I'm not meaning you personally are a failure. I worked in an industry that failed at many things, and I work for a company that is failing at the product that provides 50% of its revenue. I don't take it personally.

And yes, I realize the cost issue on Moxi/TiVo. More MSOs should offer that as a premium offering instead of being either openly hostile or just not caring. It would solve the cost issue, since the customer would opt into the cost, and you'd have something to entice higher end customers who are probably going to spend more money with you on other things like HD and HBO.

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to mixdup

said by mixdup:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by jedilord:

Having somewhat elaborate setups (or as elaborate as you can get with two TVs) with both cable (Time Warner) and satellite (DirecTV), I have to disagree. I much prefer cable over satellite and the new HD guide and graphics on ODN Navigator 7 are much better then what DirecTV has IMO. Hopefully you BHN guys get upgraded soon. The most important part, programming, Time Warner, and especially Brighthouse have an overall much better HD channel line up then DirecTV. Never looked at a BHN channel line up, but my area has had Time Warner’s new National Channel Line up since early Fall, and it hands down one of the best organized line ups I’ve ever seen. CNN HD is channel 201, Fox News HD is channel 202. Who would have thunk it. With DirecTV, CNN HD is 202 and Fox News HD is 360.

With DirecTV I've got the HR34 and HR24 for 7 tuners total and 1.5 TB of storage between the two, with whole house DVR enabled. The Slimeline 5 dish looking at 99, 101, 103, 110 and 119, the World Direct dish looking at 95, SWM 16 in the basement, DECA to provide network access to both boxes and a Genie Go for out of home DVR viewing. With Time Warner, a Cisco 8742HDC and Cisco 8642HD with whole house DVR. Top programming packages with each, most sports packages with DirecTV.

There are times I have all 5 tuners on the HR34 in use recording. But what’s nice with Navigator is the conflict resolution, where if you have more than 2 shows set to record simultaneously the two highest priority, the next showing of that episode will record. With cable channels having encore presentations of new episodes of their original series in the middle of the night, having 5 tuners is not really a big advantage. Some Wednesday nights at 10 I had CSI, The Ultimate Fighter, American Horror Story, Jim Rome and South Park set to record. I record everything on both cable and satellite, when I wake up in the morning, all five shows have been recorded on both DVRs. I really don’t care that the cable DVR records the midnight showing of South Park as opposed to the 10PM showing. The only advantage I see with having more than two tuners is being able to watch record two shows while watching a live sporting event. Sunday nights is also a big night for me, the entire Animation Domination block on Fox, SNF on NBC and HBO and Showtime original series.

And yes cable companies get their hardware from Cisco, Samsung, Motorola and maybe Pace. But DirecTV gets their hardware from Samsung, Humax, Audiovox, Pace, LG and NEC. All HR24 receivers may look and function the same, but many different manufactures make them. Pace is the only company who made the HR34, the new HR44 is made by both Pace and Samsung I believe.

DirecTV keeps me as a customer for NFL Sunday Ticket, and even though iNDemand has made great improvements with their sports packages, DirecTV just has the most home and away feeds in HD. Although there are some feeds of some games DirecTV doesn’t carry that you can get on cable. Also having access to at least one linear 3D channel (3Net) is nice.

Being a TV geek, huge sports fan and having fun with the DirecTV beta software make’s me happy to be a DirecTV subscriber. But if I could only choose one service, I would take cable in a heart beat, no second guessing. It’s just an overall better product with much better service.

And having had the unfortunate experience of using a TiVo, I would rather gouge my eyes out with a dull fork then be subjected to looking at a TiVo ever again, or worse yet actually using one.
--
Phil Robertson/Ted Nugent 2016
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA! - Hussein Obama 0, American Public 1
Repeal 0bamacare Now!/Marriage = Man + Woman

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to mixdup

said by mixdup:

Man, you take offense way too easily. This is a public forum, the discussion here isn't going to be like a press release. I'm not trying to be belligerent, just giving you the view of a fairly tech savvy customer of your industry.

As for number 2, until recently you WERE beholden to whatever was released by someone else. Only just in the past year or two have MSOs started writing their own software for their boxes. DirecTV and Dish had no problem rolling out new features over the years. You don't have to replace 8 or 20 million boxes at once. Heck, up until they shut off the APG feed late last year, DirecTV was still supporting *the very first boxes they ever released* back from the USSB/DirecTV days. Now, I realize that both Dish and DirecTV have a scale that a smaller MSO like Bright House doesn't have, but there's no reason that either all the MSOs couldn't have gotten together or the larger MSOs couldn't have worked earlier on initiatives like X1 or the new TWC software that I assume is what BHN will be rolling out that you constantly vaguely hint at. To suggest that it was simply because you couldn't roll it out to everyone is either dishonest or means your companies were bad at their jobs because that isn't required (and isn't how you're going to roll out future updates either)

Secondly, if the platform might become out of date too quickly, that doesn't make sense. You'd rather your already out of date platform seem even MORE dated and customer hostile instead of at the very least adding SOME features and modernization? I don't buy it.

It just doesn't make any sense, at all. Apple can roll out new features to computers, iPhones, and iPads without issue. DirecTV can roll out new features to their boxes. SiriusXM can even roll out new features to their radios and their legacy equipment is built into cars.

It was simply a lack of imagination and a lack of financial fortitude on the part of the MSOs. I know you work for one, but don't take it so personal. I'm not meaning you personally are a failure. I worked in an industry that failed at many things, and I work for a company that is failing at the product that provides 50% of its revenue. I don't take it personally.

And yes, I realize the cost issue on Moxi/TiVo. More MSOs should offer that as a premium offering instead of being either openly hostile or just not caring. It would solve the cost issue, since the customer would opt into the cost, and you'd have something to entice higher end customers who are probably going to spend more money with you on other things like HD and HBO.

LOL Mixdup you need to relax and stop looking for a fight. I'm gonna remind you again up until last night and today you've been pretty good...don't start on the old path again.
--

marrr

join:2001-01-02
Bradenton, FL

1 edit
reply to jedilord

I wonder how much the DVR fee gonna raise when we get some new boxes at BHN.

jedilord

Yeah, I'd imagine there would be a cost, which quite frankly is crappy.

My parents have BHN and they have a black guide, which looks pretty good and hip. Not sure which version of the software that is. At the end of the day, putting lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. Need the equipment to complete the package.

On a side note, can you hook a TV up to cable and still get channels 1-99ish? I know it's all digital, and we have TVs that have digial tuners built in, but wanted to know if I could tune to channel 40 and get Disney still?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by jedilord:

Yeah, I'd imagine there would be a cost, which quite frankly is crappy.

My parents have BHN and they have a black guide, which looks pretty good and hip. Not sure which version of the software that is. At the end of the day, putting lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. Need the equipment to complete the package.

On a side note, can you hook a TV up to cable and still get channels 1-99ish? I know it's all digital, and we have TVs that have digial tuners built in, but wanted to know if I could tune to channel 40 and get Disney still?

You can in every market but CFL (soon) as they are in the process of going all digital.
--

jedilord

So in the short term, yes, but eventually once everything is digital, no?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by jedilord:

So in the short term, yes, but eventually once everything is digital, no?

LOL you guys keep asking that question and my answer is the same CFL is going all digital what happens down the road the road with other markets we can discuss if and when something should change.
--