spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Irvinraw
join:2011-08-31
Towson, MD

Irvinraw

Bridge Routers Help

I'm not sure I can do this, but I wanted to bridge (wired) two routers and basically run the same network on both. I have a fios router mi424wr router and wanted to connect it to a ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router with an Ethernet cable. I was hoping to get a better signal throughout my house with the help of this router. As I mentioned, I would like the new router to run on the same network as my fios router so I can run dlna on a separate tv. I haven't opened the box yet for the new router but was wondering if there was some step by step specifically for this router that is easy to understand. Any help would be appreciated.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?
sonofsmog
join:2003-09-09
Ontario, CA

sonofsmog to Irvinraw

to Irvinraw
Click for full size
Must have an CAT-5 Ethernet connection,

Disable DHCP and wireless (if you so choose) on the Actiontec.

Assign the Actiontec an IP address outside the DHCP range for your Asus router and you subnet mask (see pic.)

Unplug the Actiontec.

Plug in the Asus router via CAT-5. Get it all setup how you want it.

Plug the Actiontec into the Asus router via CAT-5.

The Actiontec is now just a switch and Coax bridge. You can plug your COAX into the Actiontec and it will feed your boxes now.

I have mine setup exactly like this.
Irvinraw
Towson, MD

Irvinraw

I'll try the conversion this weekend. I have a few questions.

In regards to the link in the second post, is it really necessary to revert the Actiontec to default? I've added a bunch of port forwarding and I don't want to disturb anything. To tell you the truth I have no idea what port forwarding does, but I know it's required/helpful for online play on my console.

I have the old wireless G Actiontec. Is it better to turn off the wireless on the Actiontec or will it be helpful to have wireless from both the Actiontec and Asus?

Thanks for the help!

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

said by Irvinraw:

In regards to the link in the second post, is it really necessary to revert the Actiontec to default? I've added a bunch of port forwarding and I don't want to disturb anything.

Looks like you wanted the Actiontec the way it is. If that's the case set the Asus RT-AC66U in access point mode(You'll see this in the admin section of AC66U) and assign a static ip within the Actiontec's subnet that is not in the DHCP range or just let it obtain an ip automatically from the Actiontec then connect an Ethernet cable to the LAN port of the Actiontec to the Asus LAN port(note: AC66u when in access point mode, the WAN port becomes another LAN port). So that there is no conflict with the Asus dual band wireless, disable the Actiontec wireless.
Irvinraw
Towson, MD

Irvinraw

I did the conversion and everything went fine. But I still have a few questions. Prior to connecting the Asus router, I did not reset to default the Actiontek fios router.

When I started up the Asus router it required that I connect the cat7 cable from my fios router from LAN port to my Asus router's wan port. The software setup my router and it place the asus router in wireless router mode. I was going to make it an ap but I decided against it.

The rest of my equipment is connected through my fios router through cat7 cable to any 8port switch. This is my receiver, xbox, ps4, etc. i think with this setup I was able to stream movies from my laptop to my xbox360 etc.

However I decided to use my asus as the main traffic mgr. so I reset my fios router to default except dhcp limited to 192.168.1.20 to 250. I did this to leave room for static ip specifically for asus router.

After the reset, my 360 could not find my laptop to stream. So I moved all Ethernet cables connected to my fios router to the LAN port of my asus router. When I did this I lost internet connection to my 360.

My asus router when I originally converted had a gateway address of 192.168.2.1. When I reset my fios router to default I think it changed the address. My iphone was connected to my asus router setup when I did the reset and a message popped up that the address changed. When I type in wirelessly to 192.168.1.1 I get connected to the fios router setup. I did turn off the fios router radio.

To be blunt I don't know what the hell I'm doing. My wireless is working fine. However I may have issues with my equipment connected by Ethernet. I have not fully tested given that it's late, but as I mentioned my 360 connected by Ethernet lost connection to xbox live. I don't know if I need to move the cable from my fios router's LAN port that is currently connected to my asus router's wan port to a LAN port. Right now it appears that my asus router's LAN ports are not giving me an internet connection but wifi is fine. Or do I just need to reboot the asus router. I haven't been able to access the asus router setup since I don't know the gateway address. I'll try a hard connection tomorrow.

My main question is do I need to connect everything from my asus router to ensure that all my equipment are on the same network? For example, was I correct to remove the Ethernet cables from my fios router since I was using asus as dhcp server? Or can I use the fios router LAN ports and I would be on the same network so I can use things like dlna? My asus router has the exact same SSID as my fios router.

Sorry for the long post. Let me know if anyone needs more clarity.

Thanks