All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hughesnet123
join:2012-11-08

hughesnet123

Verizon MHS291L Vs 4620L vs Ellipsis MIFI

Currently I have a 4620L. I live in a rural area. I have to hook it up to the antenna. It works, but my iPhone 5 with no external atenna's works better. So, today I ordered the MHS291L which has a huge battery and two antenna ports. I thought about ordering the Ellipsis Jetpack but I could find no reviews on it at all.

Both the Ellipsis and MHS291L have two antenna ports. My current one does not have two antenna ports. My current one is not dual band either. The MHS291L will be dual band.

Does anyone here have a MHS291L? How well does it work? And do I need to use both antenna ports? Why are there two? One for incoming and one for outgoing? I know it can't be for each band because the antenna's have nothing to do with emitting the dual band wifi signal.

I am hoping that it will allow me to use it when I need to without an antenna all the time.

I don't mind using an antenna at home. But with the 4620L, I have to use an antenna to even use it in the car. Even in places where the LTE is pretty high and no phone has any trouble. But the 4620L won't even find a signal without an antenna.

At my parents house the 4620L will find 2 bars, BUT IT WONT work with those 2 bars. If I plug in an antenna, it still has two bars, yet it works.

I generally get about 25MB down anywhere I go and about 4MB up. It's always really fast, but having to strap an antenna on top of the car just to use my iPad on the road is beginning to be a problem.

I can't seem to find reviews anywhere. There are no comparisons online that I can find comparing it to the 4620L. If it isn't any better, I'll send it back.

But I was hoping someone here might have some experience with it.
Alphasite
join:2005-07-27
Plano, TX

Alphasite

I have a 4620L and it's worked pretty well for me even with a marginal signal. I don't have an external antenna connected.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to hughesnet123

to hughesnet123
pop over to »Millenicom there is more info there
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24 to hughesnet123

to hughesnet123
I would avoid the new ellipsis. It only supports lte band 13 and that's it. Looks more meant for low cost hotspots. Which is funny since most people needing to use this technology wouldn't be low cost anyway and monthly price is the same but anyway....

The 4620l had a LOT of issues and that's primarily why VZW stopped offering it. The one to go with now is the mhs291l. Battery life alone is incredible and it's dual band. As far as working, my house has 3 bars signal on lte and it works fine.
hughesnet123

hughesnet123

That is good to hear. Explain to me more how this works. What bands does the MHS support?

The only thing that tempted me to keep the 4620L for longer was they may come out with something that gets much stronger signal in the future. That might not be the case if this MHS one is using it good enough.

The 4620L one that I have does not work properly. It shouldn't need an antenna in some of the area's where I have to use one. I know that because the iPhone will have 3 bars of LTE and I'll do a speed test from the iPhone and it will be the same as the 4620L yet the 4620L has to have the antenna. Which is a hassle.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

Here's specs for mhs291l:

Technology Bands
CDMA 1X/Rev.A 800/1900MHz GSM/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900MHz) UMTS/HSPA (850/900/1900/2100MHz)
4G LTE (700MHz)
LTE B13/4 700/1700
hughesnet123

hughesnet123

*Update*

So, I got the MHS291L. One thing that I did not find online that I found by using it, is if you use both antenna ports with two antenna's you do get way more speed. They both work the same when using one antenna. But when I plug two antenna's in (the same antenna) I get about 15mb more of speed. Which is quite a significant jump.

It also works without an antenna. My 4620L did not. It does seem to be taking up data faster but I'm not sure if that's because it'll go faster than the 4620L or what. Because I have barely used it and it has taken up .5gb with barely using it. It takes a while for the 4620L to get up to a half GB.

I do have the 20Gb package so no worries.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to hughesnet123

Premium Member

to hughesnet123
I have the mhs291l and carry it for work.

It's amazing how far the mifi's have come ... This is by far the best one yet!

Super long battery life and stable as a rock. Good stuff.
bcltoys
join:2008-07-21

bcltoys to hughesnet123

to hughesnet123
Speedtesting will eat up data. Fast
hughesnet123

hughesnet123

it didnt eat me up too bad. I had to speed test it because its a new device and I wanted to know if the two antennas instead of one made a difference. And it did.
johnprevite
join:2004-12-19
Chardon, OH

johnprevite to hughesnet123

to hughesnet123
Can you tell me how stable the MHS291L is? My 4620l drops connection if I download at higher speeds for any longer than a few minutes.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

said by johnprevite:

Can you tell me how stable the MHS291L is? My 4620l drops connection if I download at higher speeds for any longer than a few minutes.

Mine is solid as a danged rock. Better than my 4510l or 4620le ever were.
hughesnet123

hughesnet123 to johnprevite

to johnprevite
Mine does not do that. BUT my 4620L did not do that at my home but it did at my parents home. And they had better signal that I did at my home. Yet it always happened at their home and never at mine. The signal would not cut out but it would drop connection non stop. I have not tried the MHS291L there yet. But it makes me think something is up with their cell tower. Because my 4620L never did that any other place. But always did it there.