uniqs

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

[rant] Are you an Apple store employee?

RANT.

Has anyone here been to an Apple store and had an unpleasant person to deal with?
Do you feel their "attitude" of condensation or smugness just aggravating?
Pretentiousness?
Have you ever been insulted or felt slighted?

Yes- I realize they are human. And work in a service industry. And have to deal with "computer-challenged let along thought-challenged" customers. Plus they work for a company that grossed over $37billion in last quarter.

The irony is, I kinda work for Apple and can't really say much more. But someone's regional manager will be receiving an email...

Thanks for letting me vent.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

3 edits

haroldo

It's meaningless to look at how much a corporation makes when discussing the personal issues of an employee or series of employees at a retail store. Good customer service and respect is the rule, no matter whether you are running a hot dog stand or work for Tiffany's.

Many times a crowded store can "push the employee's (as well as the customer's) button". Today's society rewards and glorifies obnoxious, rude or disrespectful behavior (Google 'people using cell phones in public' or just turn on any television show).
There is no absolutes here...some employees are wonderful and patient, some are not. Some respond to aggressive situations properly, others don't.
Were you polite and the 'flipped yiou off' or were there contributing factors?
Were they having a bad day?

I've been to crowded Apple stores at least 50 times, NEVER had an issue

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

...50? I go every 2 years for a new phone. I think I also had a hard drive replaced in a laptop too.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by Mike:

...50? I go every 2 years for a new phone. I think I also had a hard drive replaced in a laptop too.

Sure, the store's been there at least 10 years, so that's only 5 times a year. Repairs count as two visits (drop off/pick up). Bought a few ipods/phones/laptops (two daughters) over the years and ogled the new products (visited to play with the iPad a few times before buying)....I'd say it's more than 50 times!

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

1 recommendation

djrobx to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
The thing that drives me crazy about the Apple store is that there isn't a traditional checkout line. This is probably fine for people that are assertive enough to demand attention from employees roaming the store, but it's a struggle for me when the store is reasonably busy.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

Not sure if you know, but you can self check-out with the Apple Store app (this is different from the App Store app) for most items that are on the floor.
Just open the app (the app has a different look when you are inside a store), scan the bar code, enter Apple ID (or Touch ID) and walk out of the store.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned) to haroldo

to haroldo
I agree in general that customer service and respect is the rule no matter what the business that deals with customers personally. I don't agree that it is meaningless to examine the companies resources. Apple screens employees carefully and they train their employees. Joe Blow hot dog stand does not have the resources that Apple does to screen employees. Apple wants their store brand to be considered #1 in the retail world. That takes a lot of money to accomplish that. Having said that, any company large or small can have an employee have a bad day. Employees are human, not programmed robots.

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
said by cableties:

RANT.

Has anyone here been to an Apple store and had an unpleasant person to deal with?
Do you feel their "attitude" of condescension or smugness just aggravating?
Pretentiousness?
Have you ever been insulted or felt slighted?

Yes- I realize they are human. And work in a service industry. And have to deal with "computer-challenged let along thought-challenged" customers. Plus they work for a company that grossed over $37billion in last quarter.

The irony is, I kinda work for Apple and can't really say much more. But someone's regional manager will be receiving an email...

Thanks for letting me vent.

You "kinda work for Apple"? If that is the case, I would think even you should know that speaking to the store manager about the employee might get you more satisfaction than emailing the regional manager. Of course there are three sides to every Apple store encounter: your side, the employee's side and the truth. Since you didn't go into detail about what happened I can only assume.

I'm sure this lady's story to herself was that she was absolutely right for this behavior when she was absolutely wrong:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· cAPKuLb4

»vine.co/v/huHUPLnx1dg

When I worked for Apple I encountered the same type of people as customers that you say you encountered as an employee. Talk about attitude, smugness, or condescension and pretentiousness. I'm sure if you did a deeper dive into suicide statistics you might find a trend of Apple Store employees after dealing with difficult customers.

EVERYONE has a bad day and perhaps it was your bad luck to get someone that had just dealt with the Rain Man of all customers prior to working with you. Instead of making their day worse by complaining about them, perhaps you can take a step back to see if there's something you could have done to help the situation.

Thanks for letting ME vent.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
I just had two visits to the Apple store to get my iMac serviced and to pick it up afterward. At no time did I experience any bad attitudes and was handled respectfully by everyone I came into contact with in the store. Perhaps you just caught a "bad Apple", pardon the expression...hopefully your contact with the regional manager will insure that doesn't happen with other customers and associates.

haroldo
USA

2 edits

haroldo to cableties

to cableties
...I'd add, in nearly every instance where I was in a store (mind you, I avoid shopping like the plague), I've found store personnel to be extremely friendly, helpful, etc. Usually, I'm extra kind to them...in an attempt to get on their good side (so they'll go out of their way to be helpful) as well because I understand how difficult it is keeping their 'happy face' on. I always greet sales people, cashiers, wait staff, etc., with a big smile, kid around or make a joke, and always ask them how their doing.
No matter how bad a day they'd be having...this always elevates their attitude (especially when I see them being abused or disrespected by another customer)

All employees understand how difficult it is to get a job and how easy it is to lose one...ergo, they don't want to get fired.
I can't remember the last time I didn't encounter a friendly store employee, Apple Store or elsewhere.

TSA agents are another story (LOL)

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
The one thing I've learned over the years running my own small business is that you can't please everyone. Someone may just be having a bad day. The attitude of an employee to one person may not be evident to someone else. I've gotten the smugness and attitude from people in Lowes when I go into buy a can of paint. Happens everywhere. My experience at my local Apple Stores has usually been very positive.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
The two Apple store's I've been to (they aren't real common in Canada yet) have both been excellent...

Not exactly what you wanted to hear - but I've found them to be very helpful and efficient. One of the employees was dealing with multiple customers at a time, rather then focusing on one at a time, which could have been a little off putting; but she was upfront with it ("I'm waiting for this to copy on this laptop, so if there's something I can help you with quickly, I'd be happy to...") - so I was cool with it.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium Member
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

bjf123 to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
I've never had a bad experience at our local Apple Store. I have a couple of friends who work there, though I rarely deal with them when I visit the store. Everyone has always been very professional and easy to deal with.
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

1 edit

DarkSithPro (banned) to cableties

to cableties
Apple wants people to feel special and superior to everyone else who uses their products, so they create Apple Stores so people can have an sense of elitism. However it's not true. There is only one product that I can truly say was superior to all the others. And it had nothing to due with looks, size, or cost. It was simply a company backing their product. It's a craftsman tool. Dad and I was working on a car when I was a kid. He broke his craftsman wrench, but he didn't get mad or upset, in which I thought was very strange. Usually when you break expensive tools you become upset. He said run over to Sears and get me another one. I said I need some money. Then he explained to me I don't. I didn't believe him until I went into Sears, gave them the broken wrench and got another one for free without a receipt. Now that's a great friken company! That's a product that is truly better than the rest, because the company stands behind their product 100%.

BellBoy
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

1 edit

BellBoy

Premium Member

Because a single piece cast metal wrench is EXACTLY like a computer that took 10^1000 amount of time more to design, engineer and implement. Yeah, sure...I see your point now. Yes tools are the best product evar.

Btw...Sears no longer offers a lifetime guarantee on Craftsman tools. 25 years is still a long time, but that doesn't cover passing tools down through generations.

Elitism...I don't know where people get off saying that Apple and their customers are elitist. You want to tag someone that believes that you should get what you pay for (like great design, build quality and longevity) then, oh boy, I guess I'm an elitist.

Apple created the stores initially to showcase their products in a time when their brand was about to become extinct. When people started to notice what they had to offer was legitimate and quality, they continued to grow into what they are today. Pretty simple to understand why it happened. No elitist subplots here...

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right

said by BellBoy:

Btw...Sears no longer offers a lifetime guarantee on Craftsman tools. 25 years is still a long time, but that doesn't cover passing tools down through generations.

plus they make it such a pain in the ass that I would rather go buy a new one somewhere else ...

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
I had a "know it all" genius with a terrible attitude at the Tice's Corner store near me
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to drslash

Premium Member

to drslash
said by drslash:

I agree in general that customer service and respect is the rule no matter what the business that deals with customers personally. I don't agree that it is meaningless to examine the companies resources. Apple screens employees carefully and they train their employees. Joe Blow hot dog stand does not have the resources that Apple does to screen employees. Apple wants their store brand to be considered #1 in the retail world. That takes a lot of money to accomplish that. Having said that, any company large or small can have an employee have a bad day. Employees are human, not programmed robots.

Sadly some customers seem to think employees in retail are expendable programmed robots and those some treat employees like garbage but they still expect the same level of service as someone who shows even an ounce of respect.

I found the best policy for retail employees is treat assholes with in the business rules required by management, and go above and beyond for the nice people.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to BellBoy

Mod

to BellBoy
said by BellBoy:

Reference please

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by robbin:

said by BellBoy:

Reference please

Google says: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cr ··· Warranty

So some are 25 with receipt and some are lifetime still. And some tools are no longer made so it doesn't matter

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by DarkSithPro:

It's a craftsman tool. Dad and I was working on a car when I was a kid. He broke his craftsman wrench

said by BellBoy:

Btw...Sears no longer offers a lifetime guarantee on Craftsman tools. 25 years is still a long time

Actually they no longer always call it lifetime, instead saying forever. But, yes Craftsman wrenches still have the same guarantee as they have always had.

"Description Item # 00942936000P Model # 42936
12 pt. metric combination wrench. Size 32mm. Forged from tough alloy steel, heat-treated, oil quenched and tempered for a uniform hardness and maximum strength.
Nickel-chrome plated to resist rust and corrosion to simplify cleaning. Guaranteed forever!"

»www.sears.com/craftsman- ··· Type=G19

Back to the topic -- I find the Apple store employees rather arrogant. My sister does also. To us, it is not a comfortable place to shop and in fact do anything possible to avoid going there. And honestly, when I have to go there, I really don't appreciate Apple employees talking down Microsoft or any other competitors. Yet that happens very regularly.

BellBoy
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy

Premium Member

Actually...from wikipedia...

"...Sears has reduced the warranty in effect on many Craftsman non-powered lawn and garden products including rakes, shovels, clippers, brooms, trowels, pruners, hoses, sprinklers, hose nozzles, and other small gardening hand tools. Previously it was a lifetime warranty which on August 2, 2012, was reduced to 25 years with receipt required. The lifetime warranty does not include precision hand tools, such as calipers and torque wrenches.

Many consumers have also been reporting problems when attempting to obtain warranty repair or replacement on tools that are covered by the full lifetime warranty. Sears' official position is that the warranty should be honored, and much of the problem may lie with the individual sale associates. In some cases Sears no longer sells particular Craftsman tools, (tape measures, and wood clamps are two examples), making it impossible to replace a tool sold with a lifetime warranty with a similar Craftsman tool that will continue the warranty."

Guess it depends on who you talk to in the store.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

This is exactly what I hate about the Apple store. People with no knowledge bashing another company. Once again, read the original post you responded to and then read my responses. It has NOTHING to do with lawn and garden tools. The OP and his dad were working on a CAR.

And yes, I have heard this type of talk from Apple employees regarding anything Windows (just to keep this on topic).

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to BellBoy

to BellBoy
said by BellBoy:

Many consumers have also been reporting problems when attempting to obtain warranty repair or replacement on tools that are covered by the full lifetime warranty.

said by not quite right:

plus they make it such a pain in the ass that I would rather go buy a new one somewhere else ...

Case and point ...
not quite right

1 recommendation

not quite right to robbin

to robbin
said by robbin:

And honestly, when I have to go there, I really don't appreciate Apple employees talking down Microsoft or any other competitors. Yet that happens very regularly.

This is a quite common practice in most Apple circles including this forum, so I don't find it surprising that the mainly twenty-something, minimum wage earning staff at my local Apple store disparaging the competition ...

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Agreed 120%. I always find it interesting, such rabid loyalty to a product or product line.
ptrowski

ptrowski to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
said by WK2:

I had a "know it all" genius with a terrible attitude at the Tice's Corner store near me

Quite a few in the Providence, RI store as well. I called to get my 4s replaced under my Applecare before it ran out. They set up an appointment for me for the next week to get it replaced. When I go to the store they tell me it is now out of the Applecare warranty. I explain to them that I understand that but when the appointment was made (by Apple mind you) it was covered so I feel that the replacement should be covered since the appointment was made for me. You would have thought I dumped a rotten egg on this employees head with the face she made. She huffed, rolled her eyes, and then said she would have to get manager approval and there was no guarantee. Eventually it was taken care off but with a bit of drama.

haroldo
USA

1 edit

haroldo

These comments seem to imply that this is an Apple-only phenomenon.
Many brand specific vendors will attempt to promote their wares at the expense of competitors (did ever notice the pizza boxes "...you tried the rest, now try the best!".
Apple users (and by extension, sales personnel in the stores) tend to enjoy their product and bash competitors. Then again, many Windows/Android users to the same.
This entire thread is posing the theory that Apple Store employees are somehow different from other retail sales people.
Their not, they just get to dress more casually than others.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Maybe to a point, but if I go to a Best Buy, Target, etc there are multiple brands so the associate can in theory point out the pros/cons of each model etc.
But Apple, let's call them enthusiasts, seem to be on a higher tier than the rest. May be truth, may be perception, but perception is reality.

BellBoy
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy

Premium Member

said by ptrowski:

...but if I go to a Best Buy, Target, etc there are multiple brands so the associate can in theory point out the pros/cons of each model etc.
But Apple, let's call them enthusiasts, seem to be on a higher tier than the rest. May be truth, may be perception, but perception is reality.

In my experience, good luck finding someone at a BB or Target that knows what they're talking about in regards to multiple brands.

Personally I find it refreshing to go someplace where people know what they're talking about--and if they don't, they try to find out the answer with you. Other than the Apple Store, just about the only other place that knows their shit is the Container Store.