Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to 65194623

Re: Why is Rogers Ultimate Fibre "only" 350Mbps

said by 65194623:

said by Viper359:

I wouldn't be subjected to horrible Netflix PQ

With their SuperHD encoding the Netflix PQ is far from horrible.

Maybe for you, but on my 65" Pioneer Elite Kuro, SuperHD is horrible in anything dark. Still not even close to blu ray quality. The blacks are so washed out and pixeled, it is actually annoying. Something you instantly notice.

Throw it up on my 120" projection system, and its god awful looking.

Like I said, I am a HD snob. Hence why movie stores still make money off me.
Expand your moderator at work

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to 65194623

Re: Why is Rogers Ultimate Fibre "only" 350Mbps

said by 65194623:

said by SimplePanda:

Few things:

- I'd still probably rather watch a Blu-ray disc than streamed 4k, quality wise.

- Of course, there is really no comparison, quality wise, between BD and streaming 1080p. Even Netflix Super HD. Completely different worlds in terms of detail, artifacts, sound quality, etc.

- 4k Blu-ray is coming: »www.tomshardware.com/news/blu-ra···744.html

That said, I'd still argue caps need to go up.

I wouldn't. I have no interest in having expensive pieces of plastic around for marginal quality gain.

Most people couldn't care less. The people that keep parroting this stuff are stuck on things like it has to be encoded at 30Mbps or it has to be an exact rip from the BD but for no good reason and no rationalization. BD's are encoded at a much higher bitrate than what is required to attain the same PQ with a re-encoding using a good H.264 encoder.

The audio codec used is the same with the same encoding. So mentioning sound quality is nonsense. The capacity required for the audio side of things has never been an issue when it comes to streaming. 1.7Mbps is not a showstopper for any broadband connection.

Where to begin...

"Marginal quality gain"? If you're having trouble seeing the fairly dramatic difference between Blu-ray and something like SuperHD then I'd suggest "yer doin' it wrong". Maybe verify your BD / TV settings...

Either way...

BD is already encoded, most often, with AVC/H.264. The notion that there is a magical encoder optimized for streaming that you can "re-encode" with to get the same quality at 8-10Mbps "streaming" levels is, well, inaccurate at the very least.

"no good reason and no rationalization": how about one looks amazing and the other looks like streaming video? Pretty good reason and rationalization for me.

As for audio, it's really not the same encoding at all. Most BD's are using DTS-HD:MA or Dolby TrueHD. Things like Netflix are using Dolby Digital Plus. One is lossy, one is lossless. BD can peak at 10x the average bitrate. Not to mention the extra compression (audio wise) that's often added, as well as the unreliable nature of the decoders involved.

1.7Mbps is certainly NOT a show-stopper for broadband but streaming HD isn't 1.7Mbps so I'm not sure what your point is.

I do see this argument, for some reason quite passionately, all the time though - the "i can't really tell the difference so nobody else should bother" line of reasoning. Baffling.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Viper359

said by Viper359:

said by 65194623:

said by Viper359:

I wouldn't be subjected to horrible Netflix PQ

With their SuperHD encoding the Netflix PQ is far from horrible.

Maybe for you, but on my 65" Pioneer Elite Kuro, SuperHD is horrible in anything dark. Still not even close to blu ray quality. The blacks are so washed out and pixeled, it is actually annoying. Something you instantly notice.

Throw it up on my 120" projection system, and its god awful looking.

Like I said, I am a HD snob. Hence why movie stores still make money off me.

^ this. On any reasonably decent television the lack of detail in the low light areas becomes painfully obvious, even on SuperHD.

Is SuperHD "horrible"? I wouldn't say so... but there certainly isn't anything "Super" about it.

dumpsta

join:2003-06-20
North York, ON
reply to Viper359

When did Pioneer make a 65" Elite Kuro ?