Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

the65gto

join:2000-08-31
Apopka, FL
reply to Trimline

Re: [CFL] Fiber in the subdivision?

Our neighborhood has had fiber since 2000, it belongs to a local telephone company and runs near the sidewalks. They in turn use fiber to copper twisted pair conversion to feed the houses with telephone, dsl and TV. (what a waste) This is what BHN put in front of our neighborhood, nothing to each house so far.

Trimline
Premium
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms

Front Entrance
Interesting. Last year, we had the same thing in front of the subdivision and across the street. We'll see how this plays out...

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Calera, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Trimline

I don't buy that FTTH is just completely un-doable, because there are plenty of places that have it for cheap. Now, those are cities and are non-profit, and I understand companies need to make a profit, but it's not right to just immediately write off FTTH/FTTP as "pie in the sky" because there are concrete examples of it working.

All of that said, I understand that cable companies (and telephone companies, for that matter) need to make a profit and that FTTP isn't necessarily in huge demand. I think 100Mbps service is probably a good max for most people these days. What can you actually accomplish with a gigabit connection that you can't with 100Mbps? What the industry needs to work on is greatly increasing upstream speeds so these connections are symmetrical, or closer to symmetrical than they are now. 100/5 or 100/7 or even 100/10 plans are not that great. Especially with a system like BHN that explicitly allows servers on their network.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148

said by mixdup:

I don't buy that FTTH is just completely un-doable, because there are plenty of places that have it for cheap. Now, those are cities and are non-profit, and I understand companies need to make a profit, but it's not right to just immediately write off FTTH/FTTP as "pie in the sky" because there are concrete examples of it working.

Nowhere in anything I posted said anything about it being undoable...quite the contrary...it is very doable...virtually everything in this realm is doable...the issue is expense.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Calera, AL
Reviews:
·Charter

said by BHNtechXpert:

Nowhere in anything I posted said anything about it being undoable...quite the contrary...it is very doable...virtually everything in this realm is doable...the issue is expense.

Fair enough. Let me clarify. I don't buy that it is prohibitively expensive in all cases. I highly doubt that the City/County of Chattanooga is subsidizing their fiber in a massive way, yet they can still offer gig service at rates comparable to the incumbent cable operator (and poor AT&T, just play the violins for AT&T). They do get to spread some of that cost over their electrical customers since they use the fiber network for "smart grid" things. I believe this is the same model Opelika, AL went with. Honestly don't know why more electric companies haven't gotten into the business or hooked up with a MSO.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

said by mixdup:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Fair enough. Let me clarify. I don't buy that it is prohibitively expensive in all cases. I highly doubt that the City/County of Chattanooga is subsidizing their fiber in a massive way, yet they can still offer gig service at rates comparable to the incumbent cable operator (and poor AT&T, just play the violins for AT&T). They do get to spread some of that cost over their electrical customers since they use the fiber network for "smart grid" things. I believe this is the same model Opelika, AL went with. Honestly don't know why more electric companies haven't gotten into the business or hooked up with a MSO.

Let's be real for a moment shall we....whether you buy it or not is irrelevant honestly because you aren't in a position to know the costs involved. You discussing it, coming to conclusions on it, whatever.... amounts to nothing more than easy chair quarterbacking or backseat driving to be honest because you don't work in the industry otherwise you wouldn't have come to half the conclusions you have based on your posts....
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

anonono10101

@verizon.net
reply to BHNtechXpert

Verizon does not make customer's pay for cutting their drops by mistake.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by anonono10101 :

Verizon does not make customer's pay for cutting their drops by mistake.

Then this has changed because they did and it was extremely expensive. I know this for fact and it was even reported on here on the front page of this site.
--