Search similar:

uniqs
bmwmkc323i
join:2014-01-09
Pleasanton, CA

bmwmkc323i

how to setup wired networking in home network panel

Hi all,

A friend of mine would like to setup wired networking in his home as well. Attached are pictures of his home network panel located in his master bedroom closet. He currently has his comcast cable modem and apple airport extreme wireless router located in his loft area. And this loft area also has a ethernet wall port as well.

Here are some questions.

1. Can he just add a gigabit switch into his network panel?
2. If can do #1, which plug input would he plug the gigabit switch into on the network panel?
3. From looking at the pictures, how many network ports are being used or available in his house?
4. Can he just plug in a ethernet patch cable from his wireless router and plug it into the ethernet wall port to feed the connection back to his home network panel in his master bedroom?

Thanks again in advance!
bmwmkc323i

bmwmkc323i

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

Looks like all those wires are connected to a phone panel. He will have to remove the wires and connect them to a network patch panel.

Yes, he can feed the switch from his router.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

1 edit

HELLFIRE to bmwmkc323i

MVM

to bmwmkc323i
said by bmwmkc323i:

Should be able to. The only thing I`d confirm is whether the cabling is Cat5 or Cat5E / Cat6.
said by bmwmkc323i:

2. If can do #1, which plug input would he plug the gigabit switch into on the network panel?

3. From looking at the pictures, how many network ports are being used or available in his house?

4. Can he just plug in a ethernet patch cable from his wireless router and plug it into the ethernet wall port to feed the connection back to his home network panel in his master bedroom?

I`d be inclined to get a tone generator and determine where cables go / are wired to before
answering those questions.

My 00000010bits

Regards

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater

MVM

said by HELLFIRE:

said by bmwmkc323i:

Should be able to. The only thing I`d confirm is whether the cabling is Cat5E / Cat6.

What does it matter? both can run Gigabit.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

Corrected.. never post when your brain is more tired than the rest of your body ...

Regards