All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Millenium
join:2013-10-30

Millenium

But, it's Sony

I'd like to be optimistic, but it's Sony. When I think Sony I think CD root kits and DVD control lockouts shoving unwanted commercials down my throat. I don't think I would get myself involved with even a free trial from them. A friend would have to have the service for me to see first.

That said, I loved the PS2 so not all things Sony are horrible. I'd just have to see it first.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Think Betamax, DAT, Minidisk, ATRAC, UMD, and I think they even tried to push their own version of the SD card. Most of these were great formats in their time. The problem is that Sony gets greedy and they want to charge everyone else a ton of money to use their formats. This will likely be no different. They will put it on the PS4, TVs, Blueray players etc and charge some large licensing fee for everyone else.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to Millenium

Premium Member

to Millenium
Yep, there will most likely be some proprietary technology involved that will either isolate itself and die-off or take root and become the standard. I don't see the option of this becoming any type of standard. I do see this initially becoming a perk on Sony branded TV's and BR players, but Sony is not what I would consider to be a bargain in the industry. The quality is there, but they are expensive.

In this economy, people are using pepper spray and tasers in an effort to grab that cheap $300 40" LED TV from some obscure Chinese manufacturer. The consumers aren't about to pay a premium for a higher quality TV, even if it comes with some proprietary service with the Sony Pictures video library available.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
said by battleop:

they even tried to push their own version of the SD card.

Yeah, it was/is the Memory Stick and later Pro and Duo variants.

/M