how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Phil75070

join:2005-08-17
Mckinney, TX

[Other] received packet with own address as source address

I've searched and searched as to why this message (subject) appears in a router (seems to be common to many brands) with no success.

I am wondering, can I assume that the four LAN ports on the router are internally designated as eth0, eth1, eth2 and eth3? If so, since this message is always preceded by either eth1 or eth2 and I have UPnP devices plugged into those LAN ports, could that be the cause/source and it is perfectly normal? One, a Linsys PAP2T for VoIP, has a static IP; the other is for wireless communications to/from a smart thermostat and gets its address through DHCP.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:13

Can you post an exact log message that you're getting for reference?

Otherwise, my thought is use a packet sniffer like wireshark to see what's going on.

Regards

Phil75070

Mckinney, TX

Jan 27 17:50:49 kernel: wl1.1: received packet with own address as source address
Jan 27 18:04:44 kernel: wl0.1: received packet with own address as source address
Jan 27 19:00:12 kernel: eth2: received packet with own address as source address
Jan 27 19:16:41 kernel: eth1: received packet with own address as source address

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:13
reply to Phil75070

Make / model of router, as a dumb question?

...at this point, I'd probably go the Wireshark route... to make sure your router isn't crazy, or have the
"drive you crazy" logging mode turned on.

Otherwise, your network's passing traffic okay without issue, right?

Regards

Phil75070

Mckinney, TX

It is an ASUS RT-N66U that seems to be working flawlessly as far as connectivity and throughput. Most of the messages I get are for eth1 and eth2 where I have a PAP2T VoIP box attached along with a device from my electric company that communicates with my smart thermostat. Both, I think, are UpNP devices if that means anything. Rarely do the w|1 and w|0 show up.